Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 04:19 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
My question is, how do you hold the hand of an 18 month old who is the height of an average 12 month old???
this was covered in the other harness thread. Seriously, there was a term for what happens when an adult holds a toddlers hand and pulls their arm out of the socket. I can't remember the name, but it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 04:21 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Actually I have never owned a stroller for my children, they were carried until they could walk on their own then they were by my side at all times and me or my husband held their hand. We had 3 children a 7 year old, an 18 months old and a newborn with all the stuff that had to be carried along with them and I took them to the grocery by myself ALL the time because my husband did not go with me ever. So, yeah, I think your kid "runs" the household.
Not all kids are the same.
And seriously how can you get anything done while A) carrying a child and B) holding another ones hand?

How you ever accomplished anything is beyond me.
And kibbies kids are better than me, so they obviously don't run anything.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
this was covered in the other harness thread. Seriously, there was a term for what happens when an adult holds a toddlers hand and pulls their arm out of the socket. I can't remember the name, but it happens.
Dumbassery?

Old 03-10-2012, 04:25 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Actually I have never owned a stroller for my children, they were carried until they could walk on their own then they were by my side at all times and me or my husband held their hand. We had 3 children a 7 year old, an 18 months old and a newborn with all the stuff that had to be carried along with them and I took them to the grocery by myself ALL the time because my husband did not go with me ever. So, yeah, I think your kid "runs" the household.
Actually, I owned a stroller and my husband pushed it in the grocery store.

Not sure what my point is though.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:44 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Nursemaid elbow, I think. A friend of mine has a daughter who is prone to this. The slightest pull on her arm will pull it out the socket, and it has to be popped back in place. And I think that would be one good reason, among others, to walk a child with a harness rather than holding hands. There are several factors that a stranger wouldn't know, which is why I don't know why people even concern themselves with something like this.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:06 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
Actually, I owned a stroller and my husband pushed it in the grocery store.

Not sure what my point is though.
I'm not sure why the grocery store came up in the first place. Of all the places we cart kids, at least there are carts there. Park next to one and no one has to carry anything. Just put it all in the cart. It isn't really comparable to walking from one end of an airport to another or walking around a zoo all day.

Last edited by Kibbiekat; 03-10-2012 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-10-2012, 05:12 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Re: the OP, people need to mind their own business (sorry, Vic, it's a figure of speech meaning "keep one's unsolicited opinions to oneself" )
That's fine. Just know that it will do no good. Better to just look them in the eye and say "Shut up, you". It will still do no good, but at least you'll be saying what you really mean and won't be wasting as much time.

Me, I have fun arguing (why else would I post here?) so I would challenge their opposition. I'd say "And why do you think this is wrong?" and dispute everything they say with a challenge to prove it. Oh yeah, and I'd wear a cocky smile the whole time, throw in a few "awww"s, etc.

Because I am a reasonable, civilized human being

Old 03-10-2012, 05:21 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
That's fine. Just know that it will do no good. Better to just look them in the eye and say "Shut up, you". It will still do no good, but at least you'll be saying what you really mean and won't be wasting as much time.

Me, I have fun arguing (why else would I post here?) so I would challenge their opposition. I'd say "And why do you think this is wrong?" and dispute everything they say with a challenge to prove it. Oh yeah, and I'd wear a cocky smile the whole time, throw in a few "awww"s, etc.

Because I am a reasonable, civilized human being
Oh, I know it won't do any good to wish people would keep their opinions to themselves. I'm a fan of the stare-of-doom or the snappy comeback in situations like that. Although now that you mention it "Shut up, you" has a certain cache to it, also.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Nursemaid elbow, I think. A friend of mine has a daughter who is prone to this. The slightest pull on her arm will pull it out the socket, and it has to be popped back in place. And I think that would be one good reason, among others, to walk a child with a harness rather than holding hands. There are several factors that a stranger wouldn't know, which is why I don't know why people even concern themselves with something like this.
Exactly, who wants their arm held above their head for an extended period of time anyways?

Old 03-10-2012, 05:35 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Oh, I know it won't do any good to wish people would keep their opinions to themselves. I'm a fan of the stare-of-doom or the snappy comeback in situations like that. Although now that you mention it "Shut up, you" has a certain cache to it, also.
Well it is the moral thing to do...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting