Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 07:59 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I find it appalling. Gee, the son should have lied, or somehow faked his grades. What a "wonderful" "supportive parent. If I was his child, I would have no problem going to him if I was in a jam--not!
Maybe a better paln would be to see why his son failed, and help him pass the next class, pay for a tutor, or sit and help him with his homework.

This is why elderly people are in nursing homes, alone, on Christmas, and they wonder why no one wants to visit them...what goes around comes around.
I knew a lot of kids who are just apathetic to their schoolwork and no amount of tutoring would help them. The son's problem more than likely was apathy to his work than not being capable to do the work. I sincerely believe that the father had reached the last resort to do something like this. Sometimes you need to hit rock bottom before any help people can give you will be effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 08:13 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
When I have kids I could NEVER use public humiliation on them.
I just don't believe in it.
Embarrassment is one of the worst feelings and anxiety is right up there with it.
When I am being humiliated I shut down, I can't think straight, I panic, I get extremely anxious.
Anxiety runs in my family, so no way I could do that to my kids knowing what it might possibly put them through.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:24 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,008 times
Another example of what works for some may not work for others. I applaud this father for being involved in his son's education, and also for thinking outside the box and using a tactic that he feels will work best for his son. Parenting does not come with instructions. Every parent tries to do what is best for their child.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:20 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Oh lord...where to even begin....

Old 03-15-2012, 11:17 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,119,372 times
It's obvious the father exhausted every method possible and this was the last resort. People are probably nit picking with this father's method of discipline because he's African American..

Old 03-15-2012, 11:37 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
It's obvious the father exhausted every method possible and this was the last resort. People are probably nit picking with this father's method of discipline because he's African American..
...tha hell...

Anyway! How is it "obvious" this father tried everything else? This is assuming way too much, imo. After watching the video, my impression is that it didn't take something like this to "straighten the boy up", because it seems like the boy is already quite mature and capable of learning another way. Kids of parents who are truly desparate just don't talk the way this kid was talking afterward. That'd suggest he traveled a mile in just a few seconds, figuratively speaking. Don't happen, at least not often.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:38 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
...tha hell...

Anyway! How is it "obvious" this father tried everything else? This is assuming way too much, imo. After watching the video, my impression is that it didn't take something like this to "straighten the boy up", because it seems like the boy is already quite mature and capable of learning another way. Kids of parents who are truly desparate just don't talk the way this kid was talking afterward. That'd suggest he traveled a mile in just a few seconds, figuratively speaking. Don't happen, at least not often.
^that.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:15 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post

Wait a second!! An African American father who does NOT fit the stereotype and wants his son to excel in ACADEMICS and not SPORTS???? The ramifications could be disastrous. The young man will go onto college, get a high paying job, become a productive member of society, and even worse get married and raise more productive African Americans who will populate our communities, with their work ethic and desire to achieve. This must be stopped. The focus must be on Basketball, expensive rims for the car, and public housing for life!! True values that have been in place for decades only to be wiped out by an involved parent. The child protective authorities must be called to intervene.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:03 AM

9 posts, read 9,206 times
personally if i were the kid it would come off the moment dad was gone and i'd have a spare shirt snuck in my bag or something.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:50 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
Wait a second!! An African American father who does NOT fit the stereotype and wants his son to excel in ACADEMICS and not SPORTS???? The ramifications could be disastrous. The young man will go onto college, get a high paying job, become a productive member of society, and even worse get married and raise more productive African Americans who will populate our communities, with their work ethic and desire to achieve. This must be stopped. The focus must be on Basketball, expensive rims for the car, and public housing for life!! True values that have been in place for decades only to be wiped out by an involved parent. The child protective authorities must be called to intervene.
I don't like the race factor being brought up but thank God this father is trying to get his son to take education serious. There are black fathers who are involved with their kids who think education needs to be a top priority over sports, the media just doesn't like to discuss them much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting