U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 06:00 PM

5,515 posts, read 3,323,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
That was at home with your mom. I truly doubt if you could get away in school and then your mom sounds like she would have supported the school as well. I don't like paddling, but I doubt your bravado.
I have a motto, well I have a few of them. "It's always worth a shot."
Even if I know there is a huge chance I will hear the answer no, or I will not succeed or the chances are slim, I always give it a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 06:27 PM

3,516 posts, read 2,964,622 times
Happens in some Alabama public schools. I thought it was a relic of the past but when I went to college I met people from all over whose schools would paddle for a single tardy. Though they had the option of detentions instead.

They also couldn't wear shirts with any sort of logo and their backpacks had to be see-through. Not the world I grew up in, not even close.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Happens in some Alabama public schools. I thought it was a relic of the past but when I went to college I met people from all over whose schools would paddle for a single tardy. Though they had the option of detentions instead.

They also couldn't wear shirts with any sort of logo and their backpacks had to be see-through. Not the world I grew up in, not even close.
If anyone is going to be paddled for children's tardies it should be the parents.
If little johnny is late to school because his big sister woke up late and took too long to get ready, he shouldn't be punished for that.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:13 PM

3,516 posts, read 2,964,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
If anyone is going to be paddled for children's tardies it should be the parents.
If little johnny is late to school because his big sister woke up late and took too long to get ready, he shouldn't be punished for that.
Oh, these weren't little johnnies. They only paddled in high school.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Oh, these weren't little johnnies. They only paddled in high school.
Still, not all high schoolers have their own transportation, sometimes there are reliant on whatever gets them to school and sometimes that is someone who can't get them there on time.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:46 PM

10,266 posts, read 7,763,827 times
Quote:
Still, not all high schoolers have their own transportation, sometimes there are reliant on whatever gets them to school and sometimes that is someone who can't get them there on time.
However, the tardies may not have been to their first class. There were lots of tardies to other periods in high schools where I worked. Kids could not seem to get through the halls during the 5 minute bell period.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
However, the tardies may not have been to their first class. There were lots of tardies to other periods in high schools where I worked. Kids could not seem to get through the halls during the 5 minute bell period.
No one can get through a packed schools halls in 5 minutes AND go to the bathroom AND stop by their locker. It took me that time to just use the bathroom in high school. Time to get there, get in a stall, put all the stuff you carry down, go to the bathroom, wipe thoroughly, pick all your stuff back up and wash your hands. That's at least 3-4 minutes right there.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:30 PM

22,229 posts, read 13,039,982 times
Quote:
No one can get through a packed schools halls in 5 minutes AND go to the bathroom AND stop by their locker. It took me that time to just use the bathroom in high school. Time to get there, get in a stall, put all the stuff you carry down, go to the bathroom, wipe thoroughly, pick all your stuff back up and wash your hands. That's at least 3-4 minutes right there.
Backpack. Hands free. In. Out. (You don't even need to stop at your locker until lunch when you have more time. )

Old 03-13-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Backpack. Hands free. In. Out. (You don't even need to stop at your locker until lunch when you have more time. )
Dewwayyyyyy
I will load my brother's back pack with every class's material before lunch and mail it to you. Then I'd like to see you carry it around on your back.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:29 PM

10,266 posts, read 7,763,827 times
Quote:
You are still not supposed to be tardy to your next class. Btw, my dd managed in a high school which was quite large even when she had to get from one wing to the opposite wing. She never was late to class.

While you may need the bathroom on occasion, usually, you can use your lunch period for that rather than passing period. Most kids *can* hold it for several periods (unless they have a medical condition).

Then too, if you carry your books for the morning, you only need to go to your locker at lunch and then take your books and stuff for the afternoon. It's a matter of planning and time management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting