U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 03:25 PM

2,763 posts, read 4,396,735 times

Advertisements

I used a babysitter/house keeper from care.com

She's been fantastic, been using her since about August, and during that time we have actually become close friends. Then fast forward to today. I needed her to watch my son for 8 hours as I was having floors redone due to a flooding in my house and i didnt want to chase him all over while they were working. This has been planned for over a week.

Yesterday she text me said she wanted to stay overnight at a friend's house and if i could drop him off after my son's first nap (he wakes from his nap at noon). I simply text back "If he's staying for 4 hours, he might as well stay the whole day".

Long line of texts later, she calls me a ******, inconsiderate and petty.

I of course fired her as a worker AND a friend.

The part I'm having a hard time thinking about is if I should leave her a negative review on care.com? Part of me thinks it would just be out of spite, but i also want to warn people about her too. But, i'm also kind of worried maybe she'd go psycho on me if I did? Its kind of a rough spot.

WWYD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 04:23 PM

12,891 posts, read 19,660,253 times
She has been fantastic since August, and you would want to screw her based on a text? Why didn't you pick up the phone and call? If she has always been responsible and accommodating, then she deserves at least that much.

Step away from the keyboard.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:26 PM

She didnt answer the 2 calls i tried.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:34 PM

15,226 posts, read 16,709,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post

She's been fantastic, been using her since about August, and during that time we have actually become close friends. Then fast forward to today. I needed her to watch my son for 8 hours as I was having floors redone due to a flooding in my house and i didnt want to chase him all over while they were working. This has been planned for over a week.

Yesterday she text me said she wanted to stay overnight at a friend's house and if i could drop him off after my son's first nap (he wakes from his nap at noon). I simply text back "If he's staying for 4 hours, he might as well stay the whole day".

The part I'm having a hard time thinking about is if I should leave her a negative review on care.com? Part of me thinks it would just be out of spite, but i also want to warn people about her too. But, i'm also kind of worried maybe she'd go psycho on me if I did? Its kind of a rough spot.

WWYD?
I think you are being quite petty. She has been a good sitter since August and you fire her because of a text? Perhaps there was something else going on. If you were a friend, you would have found out more about why she only wanted him for 4 hours. Since he naps part of that time, you would not be chasing him during that time, right?

I would certainly not leave a negative review based on this particular incident.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:38 PM

2,159 posts, read 3,718,944 times
Your problem was becoming her friend. Never mix business with pleasure. Lesson learned. Don't leave her a bad review based on spite. She asked a simply question, but your reply to her "If he's staying for 4 hours, he might as well stay the whole day" was kind of bitchy. You could have just said something around the lines of that it would help you out better if she could take him earlier and that you had already agreed to watching him for 8hrs and not 4

Old 03-14-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I think you are being quite petty. She has been a good sitter since August and you fire her because of a text? Perhaps there was something else going on. If you were a friend, you would have found out more about why she only wanted him for 4 hours. Since he naps part of that time, you would not be chasing him during that time, right?

I would certainly not leave a negative review based on this particular incident.
As I stated before, she only wanted the 4 hours because she wanted to stay over night at a friend's house and didnt want to wake up early.

I fired her because she called me a "witch" with a b. I dont stand for people to call me names.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Your problem was becoming her friend. Never mix business with pleasure. Lesson learned. Don't leave her a bad review based on spite. She asked a simply question, but your reply to her "If he's staying for 4 hours, he might as well stay the whole day" was kind of bitchy. You could have just said something around the lines of that it would help you out better if she could take him earlier and that you had already agreed to watching him for 8hrs and not 4

Bitchy or not, that's the truth. I dont sugar coat things, i'm blunt and she knows that. There was no point in only keeping him 4 hours.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:41 PM

25,393 posts, read 29,572,663 times
Quote:

WWYD?
I would leave a negative review. She was, likely, on good behavior early on. It's obvious she's not reliable. Once she thought you were friends, she tried to take advantage. That's not a description of an employee I'd like to hire and I'd like you to warn me if I was looking to hire her.

The question you need to answer is do you wish the last person she did this to had left a negative review and stopped you from hiring her.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:44 PM

2,159 posts, read 3,718,944 times
Quote:
As I stated before, she only wanted the 4 hours because she wanted to stay over night at a friend's house and didnt want to wake up early.
But you aren't her mother- she is free to stay at someone else's house. You could have just said more nicely that the agreement was for your son to be watched form X-Y and then let her know you were sorry that she put you in the position to start looking for more reliable care and leave it at that. You draw more bees with honey than you do vinegar.

She has been reliable for 8mths, one time she does this doesnt make her "unreliable" It just means BOTH of you blurred the lines between boss/employee to friends.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
But you aren't her mother- she is free to stay at someone else's house. You could have just said more nicely that the agreement was for your son to be watched form X-Y and then let her know you were sorry that she put you in the position to start looking for more reliable care and leave it at that. You draw more bees with honey than you do vinegar.
The fact of the matter is - she already had our plans set over a week ago. She decided to make these plans with her friend with our plans already in place and I feel that was a poor decision on her part and proves her to be unreliable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or