Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 03:00 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times

Advertisements

I would expect it unless they knew exactly what they wanted to do with their life and had a clearly laid out plan of how to achieve that without college. Most kids don't know what their career will be, though, and a lot of the ones who do (or think they do) need a college degree to get there.

If nothing else, a degree in something useful is a good cushion to fall back on. So you want to be a housewife? Okay, but when you divorce 7 years down the line that business degree or teaching credential may save you from a lifetime waiting tables.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 03:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I was such an emotional wreck all I could blubber thru my sobs and tears was "I promise to send them to college" and sat down.
Oh my goodness, I love this.

I think we highly encouraged and expected but "college" is not considered an end-all in our family. I have a brother who was career military, did not go to college, and is a HUGE success in his career and life.

Other than that we did encourage them to not go to a certain, evil cross-town rival for their higher educational needs.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:03 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I wanted our now grown children to go to college not necessarily for a better paying job but for the study and learning opportunities which can only be obtained by going to college.
I understand that, but that being said, a lot of learning opportunities don't have to be obtained through college. Some people take not so useful courses that they barely pay attention to simply to get a piece of paper that says that they graduated. There are some people the learn immensely from attending college and are empowered to learn as much as they can. Others are equally as empowered and learn without the degree. You don't need a "college license" to purchase a textbook. I know some very well read people who have traveled all over the world and know quite a bit more than some with degrees. Again, it's all relative.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:04 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
My Op was a post in another thread. The poster said that her father discouraged her from attending college, it was not necessary for a woman, even when she got a scholarship, he discouraged her, saying that she was taking it from a man. This was in the 70's, which I find sadly curious. I went to college in the 60's, at the height of the Woman's Movement. Women were being encouraged to go into "male professions" and companies were encouraged to hire women.

I was wondering if this mindset is still there today.

It is also interesting that it is taking students much longer to finish a degree.
The other thread was closed before I had a chance to reply again. I had double checked with my mom after I mentioned her in the other thread. She is one of 4 girls, all of which went to college in the 1950s and 1960's. Her parents were born in the early 1900's. My mom confirmed that it was expected that they'd all go to college. There was no question, and no talk of them being female. Again, 1950's.

Sadly, there will probably always be a person here or there with the mindset of that poster's father. I do not think it was a sign of the times, though. He was about 3 decades too late for that excuse.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:13 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
While its clear that a college graduate definitely has a clearer path to a higher income, I think we need to remember that only about half of students who start college will finish within 5 years.
My kids are recent college graduates - 2006 and 2009. They both finished in 4 years, as did every one of their friends. All the kids of MY friends finished in four years or less also. And that was with major changes, semester abroad, etc. No one wanted to prolong it as that was too expensive.

So.... what changed, if that statement is true?

Old 03-15-2012, 03:17 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I know there are success stories like Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg, and your cousin, but they are the exception, not the rule. I also know money doesn't buy happiness. But if it is possible, I want my kids to have less financial stress when they are adults. When I look at my family, there is a huge difference in the lives of the college grads vs the non college grads. that's what I always think about.
That's really interesting. I think it depends a bit on what the "not going to college" option is. In my (our) extended family, I see a huge difference in financial success between those who chose to go into a trade (not college) because that was where their talent was versus those who didn't go to college and ended up in a bunch of entry level positions with little room for advancement. The tradesmen in the family are doing the best financially out of all of us, degree or not.

I do think that in the absence of a calling towards a trade, an undergrad degree can only help with getting one's foot in the door, salary levels, etc. I know DH is one of the exceptions and it can be a challenge to get people to overlook the absence of the piece of paper in many fields. I have to say, if DS wants to be a master carpenter or a plumber like his great-grandfather, he'll probably be more financially secure than I am with all the fancy degrees. That being said, the undergrad degree does seem to be the new baseline for minimal educational experience in many fields.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:30 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
That's really interesting. I think it depends a bit on what the "not going to college" option is. In my (our) extended family, I see a huge difference in financial success between those who chose to go into a trade (not college) because that was where their talent was versus those who didn't go to college and ended up in a bunch of entry level positions with little room for advancement. The tradesmen in the family are doing the best financially out of all of us, degree or not.

I do think that in the absence of a calling towards a trade, an undergrad degree can only help with getting one's foot in the door, salary levels, etc. I know DH is one of the exceptions and it can be a challenge to get people to overlook the absence of the piece of paper in many fields. I have to say, if DS wants to be a master carpenter or a plumber like his great-grandfather, he'll probably be more financially secure than I am with all the fancy degrees. That being said, the undergrad degree does seem to be the new baseline for minimal educational experience in many fields.

I agree. Like I said before, my husband didn't go to college. He does great for himself. I did go to a great university, got my bachelors only, and also have a great job. However, I have several friends with advanced degrees who are struggling the most financially because their masters in german language and art history can't seem to find them a job. They have a lot of school debt as well. There are different successful paths for different people

Old 03-15-2012, 03:36 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,757,399 times
As long as my child had a good idea on what they wanted to do in life, I see no reason they *have* to go to college. Like me, after high school, i took a couple months off and then went right into the work force. I started off as a receptionist at 18, and at my last job at 25, i was working tier 2 help desk making 45k a year without a degree.

I've since quit working to be a stay at home mom, but I have thought about going to college part time, but *shrug* The way I see it is if i can make 45k without a degree, no sense in going back for one to make about the same amount :P

edit to add: same for my husband, he is military without a college degree and once he retires from the air force, he has several job opportunities available with his job abilities with the private sector making near 6 figures.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:26 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,979 times
My parents expected and encouraged me to go to college and they built up a savings account for me. But I'm considering dropping out after this quarter ends. Personally, I wouldn't be upset if my children didn't want to go to college. I'm not going to build up a college fund for them or anything.

If they want to go to college, that's fine with me. Or if they want to get married, or travel the world or join the military or go straight to the workforce. That's also fine with me.

College isn't all that cracked up to be. People graduate with thousands in debt, still end up without a job and struggle. Other people I know who didn't go to college have done quite well. Plus most people who go drop out anyway. Only about a third of the population over 25 has a college degree. So, why put so much emphasis on college when most people don't even obtain a college degree?

A college degree is just a piece of paper to me. I wouldn't view someone more favorably just because they went to college. There are some college grads who aren't very bright. Then there are those who only have an 8th grade education and are very intelligent people. People got along fine in the past and became doctors, teachers, and scientists etc without them.

Last edited by 90sman; 03-15-2012 at 04:40 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 05:05 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,510,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
My parents expected and encouraged me to go to college and they built up a savings account for me. But I'm considering dropping out after this quarter ends. Personally, I wouldn't be upset if my children didn't want to go to college. I'm not going to build up a college fund for them or anything.

If they want to go to college, that's fine with me. Or if they want to get married, or travel the world or join the military or go straight to the workforce. That's also fine with me.

College isn't all that cracked up to be. People graduate with thousands in debt, still end up without a job and struggle. Other people I know who didn't go to college have done quite well. Plus most people who go drop out anyway. Only about a third of the population over 25 has a college degree. So, why put so much emphasis on college when most people don't even obtain a college degree?

A college degree is just a piece of paper to me. I wouldn't view someone more favorably just because they went to college. There are some college grads who aren't very bright. Then there are those who only have an 8th grade education and are very intelligent people. People got along fine in the past and became doctors, teachers, and scientists etc without them.
The fact that many people don't have a college degree makes having a college degree that much more desirable. It puts you ahead of so many people out there.

And about people getting along fine without college degrees in the past.. sure, there have been a few that stand out but most people need a college degree to even get into coveted fields. For example, you can't be a doctor without going to medical school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting