U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 12:08 AM

5,515 posts, read 3,323,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Are you willing then, to pay $6.50 for a loaf of bread? How about paying $11.99 for a value meal at McDonalds or Burger King? You need to do a little bit of research on how raising minimum wage effects the cost of goods to consumers. You really have no idea, whatsoever what you're talking about txt.
Ok then make the people on craigslist not be such uptight crotch pheasants....then itd be easier to get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 12:29 AM

3,598 posts, read 2,558,296 times
Quote:
Same here...in WA state. So many employers are afraid to hire kids under the age of 18, because of all of the rules and regulations. That's really sad, too, because it keeps these kids from graduating with any work experience. So sad!
Yep. You can only work a certain number of hours per week and until a certain time at night. If you clock out one minute after that time, your company gets nailed with huge fines. Also, there are a number of jobs they flat out can't do, and many other jobs that they can't do by way of not being able to touch certain things. It goes on and on with the regulations.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:36 AM

70,089 posts, read 60,674,394 times
[
Quote:
The thing of it is, Kibbie, if those kids WANT to work for $5.00 per hour, they should be able to work for $5.00 per hr. If a child goes looking for a job and they're happy with the wage, it isn't anyone else's business.
It was probably more like $2/hr by today's standards. And this is a newspaper, a for-profit business, not the neighbor who needed some help with chores, which I never said was exploitation anyway. Businesses are supposed to pay minimum wage.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:32 AM
Status: "It's peanut-butter-jelly time, peanut-butter-jelly time!" (set 26 days ago)

7,074 posts, read 4,080,574 times
Quote:
Are you willing then, to pay $6.50 for a loaf of bread? How about paying $11.99 for a value meal at McDonalds or Burger King? You need to do a little bit of research on how raising minimum wage effects the cost of goods to consumers. You really have no idea, whatsoever what you're talking about txt.
http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications...7/aib74703.pdf

According to this article, increasing the minimum wage by 50 cents would increase food prices by less than 1%. Considering how often they actually raise the minimum wage, that's hardly to blame for the cost of goods. Higher wages might also mean less people on public assistance.

This kind of crap is what's generated to keep wages low, profits high and keep people dependent on the government and on other people. I'm not saying I agree with her, and I'm certainly not saying I think someone in retail or fast food should start out working $14/hour but it wouldn't kill people to raise wages a little bit.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:17 AM

1 posts, read 262 times
21 year old here, living with the parents, and I know plenty in my age group who do the same, with similar ideals. Why does the older generations look down upon it? That we're somehow, "Entitled" because we want nice things? We're entitled for unwilling to move out when we realize that the only jobs in our areas are service jobs, offering $8/hour part-time if you're lucky? That we realized how absolutely screwed we are if we try for a four-year college, which only qualifies us to be a professional burger-flipper with $30,000 or more debt? That's $640 gross/month.

Do you honestly expect us to have a healthy living on that kind of pay, when you factor in food, utilities, life thrown at you, car insurance, car repairs, gas? Here's the kicker. At the end of the year, you'll probably get a 10 cent raise at most, when inflation (Around 2.5%, 25 cents devalued from $8 annual) in reality, turns it into a -15cent decrease in pay when you're busting your sweet behind at your job? Not too mention the quickening inflation of food and gas prices.

Screw that noise, I'll just stay at home and look for something better.

Links related. Popular amongst our agegroup
http://www.quickmeme.com/Scumbag-Boo...ar/1/?upcoming

Thanks for reading!

Old 04-06-2012, 07:07 AM

21,295 posts, read 19,370,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
And I have a pretty damn good view from my town too.

And maybe I should explain what I mean when I say we should ALL be paid livable wages.
They should take into account how old we are, how many people we support, the area we live in, and what it would take to pay for our expenses and buy enough food and then figure the number out, if that number came to $14/hr or whatever then it would support you on the bare minimum. This would just be for people who worked these non-degree non-skill jobs.
Older people with dependents would thus require higher pay, making it cheaper to employ the single and childless. Equal pay for equal work. Do you think I deserve more money for doing the same job as you do? I have three kids and a mortgage.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:22 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,455,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications...7/aib74703.pdf

According to this article, increasing the minimum wage by 50 cents would increase food prices by less than 1%. Considering how often they actually raise the minimum wage, that's hardly to blame for the cost of goods. Higher wages might also mean less people on public assistance.

This kind of crap is what's generated to keep wages low, profits high and keep people dependent on the government and on other people. I'm not saying I agree with her, and I'm certainly not saying I think someone in retail or fast food should start out working $14/hour but it wouldn't kill people to raise wages a little bit.
Yes, well, let's not cherry pick information here. How many businesses simply look into mechanical options, in order to keep costs down. Buy a piece of machinery to replace a large number of employees and you're able to depreciate that equipment over time..and deduct the cost of that piece of equipment. What happens to the employer who has 20 employees working at minimum wage?.....and to the cost of the goods he's producing? What about the employees whose wages he has to raise, in order to keep them from becoming disgruntled, even though they're now making MORE than minimum wage?

That "2000" article does make some fairly decent points, with their "speculations", however, anyone who's been alive for long has seen what it REALLY does. A 1.6% (average) increase might not seem like much, to some..but to others, it can make a world of difference. Hey, I'm not saying that people who are struggling to make ends meet, shouldn't want to make more money....but deceiving yourself into thinking that a $.50-$1 per hr hike in the minimum wage, is crazy. Fifty cents per hr is going to net you $4 per day...$20 per week, $80 per month. You lose approximately 1/3 of that to taxes.

Do the math. When workers make more money, the only one who REALLY wins, is the government. They take approximately 1/3. One-third of $15/hr is much better for them than one-third of $9/hr, isn't it? They're taking your (at least) 1/3...cost of goods goes up across the board, taking pretty much the rest of your "raise". It-does-not-matter! It is not going to make a difference, in the long run! My gawd, look at the minimum wage NOW, compared to 25 years ago! On the other side of the coin, look at the THINGS people seem to think they need to have, compared to 25 years ago!

Old 04-06-2012, 09:25 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,455,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Older people with dependents would thus require higher pay, making it cheaper to employ the single and childless. Equal pay for equal work. Do you think I deserve more money for doing the same job as you do? I have three kids and a mortgage.
Well absolutely Julia!! Under that system, you're exactly right! So?...wouldn't the pendulum swing back to child exploitation? Sorry honey, if you want to live at home, you've got to be the breadwinner. They won't hire me because I have all of you as dependents. It would cost them twice as much to pay me....but YOU, they'll hire.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:53 AM

578 posts, read 527,205 times
In some countries, such as those in Latin America, its common for young adults to live with their parents until their mid/late 20s. Its common because entry-level salaries are not enough for them to become independent immediately. So I guess its not strange to see this happening more often here in the US these past few years, given the high rate of unemployment for kids coming out of college.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:05 AM

10,152 posts, read 11,566,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
And maybe I should explain what I mean when I say we should ALL be paid livable wages.
They should take into account how old we are, how many people we support, the area we live in, and what it would take to pay for our expenses and buy enough food and then figure the number out, if that number came to $14/hr or whatever then it would support you on the bare minimum. This would just be for people who worked these non-degree non-skill jobs.
People with non degree non skill jobs (like yours) will be paid the least amount possible. The employer is in business to make a profit, not to make sure employees are paid a living wage. If you want higher pay you have to obtain skills that warrant higher pay. Right now you are not trained to do anything that pays well so you will continue to not be paid well no matter how old you are or what your expenses are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting