Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 07:53 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Though I don't have any children yet, I would absolutely not let my adult children live at home with me. That would be age 18 if you didn't go to college and 21 and if you do. They're adults and therefore, need to be living on their own. I'm surprised that many people aged 25-34 are living with their parents. That's ridiculous. They should all be married by then. I guess that's what the consequences for liberating the country too much are. Lazy young people who refuse to grow up. Very sad if you ask me.
Right, because anyone who "doesn't" get married by the time they are 34 is obviously out of the mainstream based on your reasoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 08:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Though I don't have any children yet, I would absolutely not let my adult children live at home with me. That would be age 18 if you didn't go to college and 21 and if you do. They're adults and therefore, need to be living on their own. I'm surprised that many people aged 25-34 are living with their parents. That's ridiculous. They should all be married by then. I guess that's what the consequences for liberating the country too much are. Lazy young people who refuse to grow up. Very sad if you ask me.
A lot of kids turn 18 while still in high school. Are you going to kick them out on their birthday? 4 years of college would make them 22 when they graduate. Are you going to kick them out a few months short of graduating? Sounds like a good way to create drop-outs.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:21 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
A lot of kids turn 18 while still in high school. Are you going to kick them out on their birthday? 4 years of college would make them 22 when they graduate. Are you going to kick them out a few months short of graduating? Sounds like a good way to create drop-outs.
And not to mention the kids who go on to something more extensive and time consuming like law school or something, who wont finish college till like 26 or so.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:42 PM

843 posts, read 1,431,964 times
Wow you people are interesting to say the least. I am one of those high school graduates of 2004. I went to college (engineering) and obtained my master's in a 1.5 years. I came out of grad school in Jan 2010. I started applying for jobs in August of 2009. I had a few (approx 2) phone interviews before I graduated. I was living away from home during my masters. I was a teaching assistant so my tuition was paid in full minus a few fees and had a small monthly stipend. When I say small, it didn't cover a full month's rent.

Once I graduated, I didn't plan on staying around there, so I moved back in with my parents. It didn't make financial sense to try and find a part time job barely making enough to pay bills while trying to find a full time engineering job. I want to emphasize that my degrees are in engineering so no one can say, well that's what you get with a liberal arts degree. I stayed at my parent's house for approximately 3 months until I found a full time job. I had to pay to get out of my lease and a truck to move all my stuff, but I saved a considerable amount of money by not living by myself and moving home.

I moved one state away for a new job, so finding a safe person to share a place with wasn't possible. Once you are established in a location, I can understand the "find a roommate to share costs," stance. But if you are moving to a new location, it is hard to find someone to trust right off the bat. Another difficult thing that makes it hard to find a place to live is that the rental markets are really tight across the country. What I mean by this is that the prices are crazy high for one person to manage. When I moved, I moved into a place that definitely wasn't the nicest or probably the safest when I look back. But it allowed me to save money for my upcoming transfer.

Once I transferred, I was able to purchase a house. My monthly mortgage payment including taxes, pmi, and insurance is $150 cheaper than my first apartment and $200 cheaper than any apartment in this new location.

If I would have found a job in the area my parents live, I would definitely be open to staying there and paying rent for a year to really sock away the money. You people want to preach fiscal responsibility, and that is probably one of the more responsible things to do. They aren't getting evicted because they can't pay their rent and can build up savings staying with mom and dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting