U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 04:05 PM

4,931 posts, read 2,202,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
No.
All I am saying is we're giving the government way too much power to control things. Pretty soon, everything is going to be controlled and we're going to end up like those other countries that we go into with no democracy and everything is censored and controlled.
Well, there are some of those regulated countries that have a lot lower health care cost and live longer healthier lives than us. Should that factor in or not?
Plus, regulation is just the majority of people agreeing. The minority is the one without the voice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 04:35 PM

654 posts, read 426,195 times
I haven't read all of the replies.

For the most part I'm not for changing/reducing advertising to children...I ultimately believe parents have to take more control here.

As for banning junk food...what would that achieve? People can still make unhealthy food choices by eating too much of a presumably healthy food.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:08 PM

20,516 posts, read 10,908,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
There's a religious group who wants magazines like Cosmo off the shelves at the check out counters.
I checked. All I could find was one woman starting a petition. Please tell us how this constitutes a "religious group"?

(If there is a religious group, I'd like the name since I'm here to learn.)

Old 03-19-2012, 05:12 PM

3,518 posts, read 2,533,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
So, if the majority of people in said country got together and voted for regulation on anything harmful would that be a good idea? It would make things easier, healthier and if the majority wanted it then would it make sense to do it? We do it with some things, and as Vic pointed out whats good for the goose should be good for the gander. If we do it for one and another is similar shouldn't we do it for that?
It made a difference when they upped the drinking age to 21 on teen drinking deaths, why shouldn't we put an age limit on fast food or junk food? Like he has stated, obesity is peaking, unhealthy, costly and deadly. Most bad habits start early, not as likely to start when you are an adult. It makes sense. But seems odd. I'm on the fence.

Sometimes I think it would, I'd love to make less choices sometimes. It would make sure the information was valid and reviewed before it was regulated so that I didn't have to look into every single thing myself. Might be a good thing. I just don't know.
I don't think so. Making sweeping bans like that "for our own good" goes against America's founding principle of freedom. I'm sure the majority of the country would love to see the KKK wiped off the face of the earth but that doesn't mean that we should.

Adults may make their own choices, including the choice to eat nothing but fast food. They also have the right to make nutritional choices for their children, at least until the child's health is at risk. I'd favor education and encouraging healthy attitudes over simply eliminating the junk food.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:13 PM

67,298 posts, read 54,882,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Red sauce does not have to be sugar laden nastiness. I make home made meat sauce by the giant stock pot full. It has no added anything nasty in it.

For my money, I go with the full fat dairy. Most reduced fat dairy has fillers like corn starch thickeners and the like. For the kids, fat is brain food. And they are skinny minnies anyway and need the calories.
The fat-free stuff usually has the thickeners, but the low fat does not, generally. Kids do not "need" full fat dairy after age two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Currently smokers pay more, drinkers do not. Currently the idea of charging the obese more has been floated, but is not currently practiced.

My opinion is split along the two separate concepts above.

First, the statement that junk food has other harmful effects outside of making people fat. While this is true if not consumed in moderation, I am against legislating what amounts to someones choice to eat something that does not ultimately impact me. Further, I believe that one could probably live off of say the McDonalds menu just fine if they made smart choices and watched their calorie intake. I don't think junk food is inherently bad, it's just bad when consumed to an extreme. So, I don't think we should "protect" people by denying them the ability to make certain choices. There is marked difference in the concept of controlling lead or mercury versus eating a cheeseburger and fries.

Second, it doesn't matter how the obesity was caused, as that does have a direct impact on me vis-a-vis healthcare costs. My premium is what it is, because I am financing people who make my general risk pool higher. The 400 pound 55 year old guy who works in my building and has had 3 heart attacks pays exactly the same that I do for health insurance. I am subsidizing his healthcare. It doesn't matter how or what he ate to get that way, he should either work to control it or pay his actual share of the cost. This is a much more black and white issue to me.

His choices that led to him weighing 400 pounds and having a heart attack, impact me. Me as a guy in otherwise good health who occasionally eats a McDonalds cheeseburger and large fries really isn't causing anyone else harm. My choices should not be restricted because others can't control themselves, but those same people should be made accountable for the decisions they make that do impact others.
I agree with the bold, and I think most nutritionists do as well.

As for your last two paragraphs, if we get a UHC, it will be even more like that than now.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:30 PM

2,402 posts, read 1,720,238 times
It is fine provided the government provides non-dicriminatory *free* foods for all children (wealthy or poor) that they eat what example is set via law... but that would be too expensive for the government won't it???

And besides... is cheese burger, hot dog, chicken nuggets not junk foods too???

So unless the government were to feed my children *free*, good meals like "Ribeye", "Roast chicken", "Pork chops" w/ sides of steamed veggies, fresh salads & fruits... etc. (the kind of food my children actually eat, NOT nuggets / burgers or pizza).... and that will be the kind of foods they imply by law... then OK... "set examples" as they want!! They would peobably go broke pretty fast... so I'd call their BS on their "ideals" to try & control more of the people's life.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:44 PM

870 posts, read 603,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Red sauce does not have to be sugar laden nastiness. I make home made meat sauce by the giant stock pot full. It has no added anything nasty in it.

For my money, I go with the full fat dairy. Most reduced fat dairy has fillers like corn starch thickeners and the like. For the kids, fat is brain food. And they are skinny minnies anyway and need the calories.
I buy real cheese that is just cheese, made with low fat dairy, no additives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
When did red sauce become "bad"? I make red sauce from tomatoes, onions, peppers, herbs, olive oil and a small dose of sugar (just enough to cut the acid). What's unhealthy about that?

I do use regular cheese though. I don't like low fat cheese as most are made with chemicals, which I think are worse than fat.
I was just making a point that you still get veggies in pizza without the vegetable sauce (which we dont use because my son doesnt eat anything red). Red sauce isnt bad, it can be and i question the quality of red sauce served in cafeterias..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I worry more about chemicals as well. A lot of the fat free crap is worse in my opinion. I think I keep it to regular food. Anything grown or raised.
That's why the obese part of it is iffy to me. You can be thin and still be eating unhealthy and have heart disease.
I dont use fat free, because in order to be fat free, there is something sacrificed. I do use low fat if the low fat comes from a natural low fatness..

Old 03-19-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I don't think so. Making sweeping bans like that "for our own good" goes against America's founding principle of freedom. I'm sure the majority of the country would love to see the KKK wiped off the face of the earth but that doesn't mean that we should.

Adults may make their own choices, including the choice to eat nothing but fast food. They also have the right to make nutritional choices for their children, at least until the child's health is at risk. I'd favor education and encouraging healthy attitudes over simply eliminating the junk food.
Yes, I guess it does but we already have other sweeping bans. Bad nutrition is as bad as other bad habits according to the latest stats. Causes illness, we give it to our kids and they could start bad eating habits from it. I wonder why it's a no when it comes to junk food and sodas but a yes when it comes to other harmful regulated things like drugs, alcohol or cigs?
Or do all of you who think we shouldn't regulate food think that we shouldn't be regulating the others either?

Old 03-19-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I think it's fine to give kids junk food depending on how much you give and how often. Same goes for alcohol. Whether one or the other should be legal/illegal is hard to say. But if there was something to justify making giving alcohol to your kid or teenager illegal while allowing them to give them junk food, it'd have to be the fact that alcohol use can adversely affect brain development (but then maybe so can some types of food?) Other than that, I really don't see it as any more addictive or harmful than sweet, salty, or fatty foods.
You know, I'm going to tell you I'm finding that you were absolutely right is the french fry assessment Vic. I know see what you mean. Why is one better than the other. It's not is what I'm finding. It's just that one is regulated and one isn't.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:53 PM

47,586 posts, read 32,249,742 times
Fast food has it's place. It's all about balance and also it's best not to make it the forbidden fruit. Kind of hard to convince kids their 6'5" friend eating the junk food is going to drop over dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting