Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 08:39 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,050 times

Advertisements

Which is why Mother's Day and Father's Day get sticky for us. We want it to be a day for us and our children, and our parents want it to be a day for us to be with them still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 09:42 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Yes, it does seem obvious. It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone when it happens.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:29 AM

869 posts, read 1,494,173 times
Yeah definately the way it should be. Which is why when we make big decisions we try to think of it only in the effects it has on our family unit (me, dh, ds) and not the in laws or my family.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:31 AM

869 posts, read 1,494,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Which is why Mother's Day and Father's Day get sticky for us. We want it to be a day for us and our children, and our parents want it to be a day for us to be with them still.
We usually try to plan something that is just for our parents and something that is just for our son. Because, yes we have moved on and created our own unit, our parents still raised us and deserve recognition of their role in our family now.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:49 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
My point was more when you are a kid, you identify your family is your mom and dad and your siblings, as well as aunts and uncles, grandparents, etc. (if you're lucky enough to have all of these).

When you become an adult, you create your own family unit and you identify your family as your husband or wife and your kids, first - then everyone else is secondary.

When your kids grow up or when you divorce then who is your family? It is a little disconcerting to find that your kids now have their own families and don't see you as primary anymore - so when you get older you can kind of grow out of having a family unit . . .

It's all a matter of perspective.

When you are in the phase of adults with kids you can't even imagine what it might feel like for your kids to not think of you as their primary family because you are in the phase of power where it appears you have control over your kids and your family unit is how you define it.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:11 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
My point was more when you are a kid, you identify your family is your mom and dad and your siblings, as well as aunts and uncles, grandparents, etc. (if you're lucky enough to have all of these).

When you become an adult, you create your own family unit and you identify your family as your husband or wife and your kids, first - then everyone else is secondary.

When your kids grow up or when you divorce then who is your family? It is a little disconcerting to find that your kids now have their own families and don't see you as primary anymore - so when you get older you can kind of grow out of having a family unit . . .

Precisely. It is all a matter of perspective. If your perspective is that it is perfectly normal, expected, appropriate that your kids grow up and become independent, you sniffle at various emotional moments and move along.

Quote:
When you are in the phase of adults with kids you can't even imagine what it might feel like for your kids to not think of you as their primary family because you are in the phase of power where it appears you have control over your kids and your family unit is how you define it.

Power? Control? I know not of what you speak. Gross actually.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:23 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:

Honestly, it sounds like you might have control issues. It was ok for you to define your family as you, your spouse, your kids, but you are having trouble with them doing the same.

My kids are young, so my feelings may change, but I am looking forward to being an empty nester. That is not to say I'm not enjoying being a parent. I am, and I plan to make the most of it for the next 15 or so years. But I think when it is time for them to leave the nest, I will appreciate my time with my spouse, my time alone, and my time to finally do what I want instead of what the family needs. Hopefully I will have formed the kind of relationship with my kids where they will want to invite me to things, and will be happy to come home and visit too.

I think it is a little odd when the grandparents are involved in absolutely everything in their kids and grand kid's lives. A little separation is perfectly fine.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:47 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
"The cirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrcle of liiiiiiiiiiiife ..."

The Lion King (1994) - IMDb
Oh i juuuuuust cannnnnt waaaaiiittt tooooo beeee kinggg.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:21 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:

THIS is why so many families have drama when kids get married and a daughter- or son-in-law enters the picture.

Immature Mamas and Daddies who can't believe they aren't the boss anymore won't move over and let their kids grow up and be the bosses of their own lives.

Go back and read the Kahlil Gibran poem you posted earlier. That's kind of what this is about.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:33 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,357,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
THIS is why so many families have drama when kids get married and a daughter- or son-in-law enters the picture.

Immature Mamas and Daddies who can't believe they aren't the boss anymore won't move over and let their kids grow up and be the bosses of their own lives.

Go back and read the Kahlil Gibran poem you posted earlier. That's kind of what this is about.
Exactly.

Your family is still your family and there's a place for everyone. People consumed with being top banana and occupying the seat at the head of the table are what causes drama that results in hard feelings and tense holiday get togethers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting