U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 08:36 PM

14,851 posts, read 17,990,785 times

Advertisements

I will be honest and tell you that I did not read your post because I don't need to read about cat abuse and be crying all night.

But if someone hasn't already mentioned it, it is a WELL KNOWN fact that many serial killers and brutal murderers have a history of animal abuse as children. In fact, this is one of the classic, text-book signs of someone with some very serious pathological mental issues.

As some of the other responses stated, the first thing I would do is get the cats out. Secondly, I would move out of that house because you have no idea what this child is capable of. You might think...oh she is just a small child, but I can tell you that someone like this can be dangerous beyond your wildest imagination. You could actually be in physical danger and not realize it. Really. I'm not kidding. A child that is capable of torturing any animal is capable of much more and you would be crazy to sit there and think that you are perfectly safe simply because it is a child.

Frankly, I'd be tempted to call the police and/or the family services division just to let them know what is going on. They might be able to recommend counseling before things get worse.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 08:44 PM

14,851 posts, read 17,990,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Yes lets vilify a 7 year old. Especially one who in all likelihood is just acting out her anger, pain and confusion.
Sorry, everyone over the age of 2 is responsible for their own actions. I do not give this kid a pass. Such behavior is not acceptable under any circumstances.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-20-2012, 08:47 PM
'M'

1,456 posts, read 1,482,373 times
Branson...there is a lot of truth and wisdom in your post. I know quite a bit about psychology and FBI work. I did call family services for advice a few months ago becz of mom's behavior toward dtr. They offered me advice, but I really wasn't in a position to take action. Even my therapist agreed due to my recent background. I will be out in 3 days. Somehow, I can't see how it's going to resolve anything by contacting the school counselor. Next, a long time ago I called animal control about a neighbor's dogs who were very vicious and had snarled and chased me. Animal control came out and the owner fed them B.S. and they did nothing. I don't think it's easy to convince any agency they need to do something, and even if you do, when they go to investigate, they will not hear the truth from the perpetrator. Then the perp says "oh, they didn't think there was a problem." I've heard this same scenario from many friends w/similar animal problems. I don't have the time it would take to spend to resolve the dtr and the cats with an agency. I can report both, but that is all. The more I think about this, given the mother's extreme mood swings and the dtr's potential for retaliation, I think slipping out of this house is the best thing I can do. Today mom was in one of her mood swings and I stayed clear.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:51 PM
'M'

1,456 posts, read 1,482,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Sorry, everyone over the age of 2 is responsible for their own actions. I do not give this kid a pass. Such behavior is not acceptable under any circumstances.

20yrsinBranson
I'm inclined to agree...after all, last night this 7 y/o told me she didn't want to stop the abuse. A 7 year old knows better than that. I know I did when I was 7. I'm leaning toward calling school counselor, for whatever that will do. and then doing something about the cats...probably call the ASPCA. Those are the safest things for me to do for my own protection. Mom asked me last week if I'd be willing to testify on her parenting. She and ex are going to court for supervised visit for the X. They BOTH need supervision. Correction: all 3 + darling kitties need supervision.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:03 PM

9,291 posts, read 5,639,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
Uhm no actually that is complete and utter crap.

Children are not responsible for their actions because they are biologically incapable of The foresight to predict consequences. And maybe you should do a little reading before spouting off knee jerk reaction type posts.

1. 7 yos are not even capable of the type of abstract reasoning to understand why things are morally wrong. Literally their brains do not develop that until the teen years.

2. How many 7yo girls can you name or even google who have ever killed someone? More than hugely premature to label this child a serial killer.

3. I have two cats, two dogs all rescued from abuse situations. I am very aware of what is and is not abuse. Poking at a cat under a dresser is not th same thing as burning one with a cigarette (as had been done to one of mine), mutilating one (as is common in "sociopaths/ASD") or a variety of other thing that truly earn the name torture.

So yes take the cat someplace safe, get the child some much needed help, but enough already with the wacko over reactions.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:30 PM

10,259 posts, read 7,732,937 times
While, in general, children who kill are older than 7, there are young children who become serial killers. The animal abuse is a symptom of pathology (and probably of their own abuse).

The Unthinkable — Children Who Kill and What Motivates Them -- The Crime Library — The Unthinkable — Crime Library on truTV.com

Quote:
Jesse Pomeroy was fourteen when he was arrested in 1874 for the sadistic murder of a four-year-old boy.
Quote:
Mary Flora Bell wanted to “hurt” someone. She was an angry child, the product of an unsettled home in which chronic abuse was the norm. She had a friend, Norma Bell, and they often did things together. When Mary was eleven, she and Norma lured a boy to the top of an air raid shelter. When he fell and was injured, it was thought to be an accident. Two weeks later, the corpse of four-year-old Martin Brown was found, another assumed accident. Then police discovered notes that indicated that someone was taking responsibility---two people, in fact, who called themselves “Fanny and ******.”
Mary was 11 years old.

Quote:
Willie Bosket had committed over two thousand crimes in New York by the time he was fifteen, including stabbing several people.
Quote:
Cindy Collier was 15 and Shirley Wolf 14 when they started prowling condominiums in California in 1983. They knocked on doors at random to gain admittance. An elderly woman let them in and sat chatting with them as they thought up a plan to steal her car. Shirley grabbed her by the neck while Cindy found a butcher knife and tossed it to her. Shirley stabbed her victim 28 times, even as the old woman begged for her life.
Quote:
In 1964, when Edmund Kemper was 15, he shot his grandparents, killing them both. He'd been imagining this act for some time and had no regrets.
Quote:
In 1998, 14-year-old Joshua Phillips bludgeoned his 8-year-old neighbor, and then hid her body beneath his waterbed.
Certainly, more boys become killers than girls, but it is not beyond these girls.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:22 AM

27,905 posts, read 22,116,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
While, in general, children who kill are older than 7, there are young children who become serial killers. The animal abuse is a symptom of pathology (and probably of their own abuse).

The Unthinkable — Children Who Kill and What Motivates Them -- The Crime Library — The Unthinkable — Crime Library on truTV.com

Mary was 11 years old.

Certainly, more boys become killers than girls, but it is not beyond these girls.
WOW. I'm really glad I don't live near a school.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:25 AM

28,114 posts, read 24,084,256 times
Call. The. Cops.

Now.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:27 AM

28,114 posts, read 24,084,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
3. I have two cats, two dogs all rescued from abuse situations. I am very aware of what is and is not abuse. Poking at a cat under a dresser is not th same thing as burning one with a cigarette (as had been done to one of mine), mutilating one (as is common in "sociopaths/ASD") or a variety of other thing that truly earn the name torture.

So yes take the cat someplace safe, get the child some much needed help, but enough already with the wacko over reactions.
I don't even like cats and I think your answer is off-base.

What do you think they WOULD do if they could get their hands on it?
Right now it's under a dresser.

Sorry...I remember enough about being a kid to know I would have been horrified at the thought of this behavior.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:48 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,415,464 times
children abusing pets = sign of a future serial killer. Get help for this child NOW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting