Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 05:23 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,378,427 times

Advertisements

When I think of a "mamas boy" I think of men that go running to mom after an arguement and those that say "Mom does X this way or Mom thinks X about Y" If you desire things done your mother's way just go live with her. I also think of those whose mommies did everything for them and now want their wives/girlfriends to be their second mommy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 08:56 PM

652 posts, read 1,052,652 times
I had a very brief "career" as a waitress...there were men who didn't tip well.

However, as far as the men that I interact with in real life, now...they all tip fine. I know someone who has a boyfriend that will be quite grandiose in restaurant type situations...doesn't mean he treats women well behind the scenes though.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:03 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
I think this might be one of those situations where the expression means something different depending on where you live or how you grew up.

In the south, and even in Texas where I am from, it's not necessarily seen as a derogatory remark to refer to a guy - or for a man to refer to himself - as a "mama's boy". In fact, growing up, the "mama's boys" were the good boys that most of the girl's liked and all the parents liked. It's a term of endearment where I come from. My brother was a proud "mama's boy" and so was my grandfather - a 6'2" "tough as nails" marine. They took care of their moms and learned to respect women and later on in life became wonderful husbands and father's and had successful careers. Whenever dad would leave for work or a business trip, what's the last thing they say? "Take care of your mama." It's expected, and the good mama's boys follow dad's lead.

Of course - on the playground all bets were off and the bullies who were jealous of the nice and popular boys would yell things like "mama's boy" or "teacher's pet" and stuff like that. But it was obvious those bullies were just jealous...

Old 03-23-2012, 08:28 PM

869 posts, read 1,494,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I think this might be one of those situations where the expression means something different depending on where you live or how you grew up.

In the south, and even in Texas where I am from, it's not necessarily seen as a derogatory remark to refer to a guy - or for a man to refer to himself - as a "mama's boy". In fact, growing up, the "mama's boys" were the good boys that most of the girl's liked and all the parents liked. It's a term of endearment where I come from. My brother was a proud "mama's boy" and so was my grandfather - a 6'2" "tough as nails" marine. They took care of their moms and learned to respect women and later on in life became wonderful husbands and father's and had successful careers. Whenever dad would leave for work or a business trip, what's the last thing they say? "Take care of your mama." It's expected, and the good mama's boys follow dad's lead.

Of course - on the playground all bets were off and the bullies who were jealous of the nice and popular boys would yell things like "mama's boy" or "teacher's pet" and stuff like that. But it was obvious those bullies were just jealous...
I actually think this is really important. I grew up in North Carolina, pickup trucks and dirt roads. Being a mamas boy wasnt a bad thing, it meant your mom took care of you and they took care of them. It meant daddy was there to keep you in line and maybe pop your mouth if you didnt show mama enough respect.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:19 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,031,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
If you define a mama's boy as a man that has an attachement to his mother that is the number one priority in his life then being a mama's boy is not a good thing.
Like this one?

Helicopter Mom Needs To Come In for a Landing by Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent

Old 03-23-2012, 09:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post
Being a mama's boy and just having a close relationship with your mother are not the same. I've never heard anyone say that the latter is bad.
I agree.At some point the boy needs to become a equal . Often that is not true and that is what a momma's boy really is.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
A mom who feels she needs to "coach" her son on what sort of mate he should choose is definitely fostering a "mama's boy" dynamic.

Such a mom would probably choose a woman who was meek, and elinetly go along with the dysfunction.
hmm dysfunction?? so somebody that consults his mother, a woman on a new mate is mentally ill? esp if the subject of prenup comes up???? interesting. and the one who utterly depends on the counsel and guidance of the great wise one, the new girl friend, has chosen well?
67% divorce rate 70% filed by women. no i dont think so. listen to mama.
dont let mama run your life but love is blind, mama is not. a meek new GF is not your worry, the new girl friend sucking u dry and spiting u out in divorce court is your worry. listen to mama. no marriage w/o prenup.
what mama knows and u dont----- every woman has a lawyer- u just havent met him yet.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 03-23-2012 at 11:20 PM..

Old 03-23-2012, 11:21 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
GF's see coaching by mama a threat. they are right. w/o it most guys are a blind pig being led to market. mama is not in love with your GF and will see things a bit differently than u will. listen to your mama she knows women, she is one. carmen jovet says all mothers should coach their sons to get a prenup. now why would a TV star middle aged mother say something like that?
I think that mothers and fathers should care about who their child is with and intends to marry it comes from instinct not any sick and twisted over bearing relationship.
I am very close to my mother and father I will admit though that I am a daddys girl, he has always been my rock and has never led me astray. He has given me his opinions however he has never demanded that I break up with someone simply because he saw things coming that I did not.
Both my parents did not like my ex husband they saw something I did not but they did not stop me from marrying him and they treated him like a son as much as possible however they were RIGHT.
Matter of fact my father went with me to my divorce hearing for support and after the dissolution was granted he stated the following in the car, "I never liked the guy, he was too self centered and selfish and I told you but you needed to find out for yourself even it killed me and your mother to see you go through this, it may seem like hell right now baby girl but this time next year? It will all seem like a bad dream." And dad was right.. Love my dad and am a self proclaimed daddys girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I agree. I remember being told at a very young age that if you want to know what kind of husband a man will be just look at how he treats his mother. A lot of truth to that.
Good advice because this is what my mom told me.
My ex hated his mother although you would not know it because he allowed her to influence our marriage so much.
He was not a mamas boy. His mother used him as a confidante to her relationship issues with many men, sent him into bars to collect his step father after driving around till all hours of the morning, cleaned up the house, did the laundry, bathed his siblings, signed detention notices so they all would not get beat. She was a horrible mother yet had alot of influence over him..so sad.
My bf? He is very close to his mother, goes over when ever she is not feeling well, makes her something to eat, sits with her and visits on his days off, matter of fact went over there today and was late for a movie because his mom's cat died and she was very distraught,
She is a sweet lady I like her and she likes me, I wish I could visit her more often but my work schedule does not allow it.
I feel because my bf is a mamas bot he is a better man.
He is mild and even tempered, his mama taught him never hit a woman no matter what, she taught him how to be a gentleman and always be the man in a relationship and she did an awesome job!

Old 03-24-2012, 07:06 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
hmm dysfunction?? so somebody that consults his mother, a woman on a new mate is mentally ill? esp if the subject of prenup comes up???? interesting. and the one who utterly depends on the counsel and guidance of the great wise one, the new girl friend, has chosen well?
67% divorce rate 70% filed by women. no i dont think so. listen to mama.
dont let mama run your life but love is blind, mama is not. a meek new GF is not your worry, the new girl friend sucking u dry and spiting u out in divorce court is your worry. listen to mama. no marriage w/o prenup.
what mama knows and u dont----- every woman has a lawyer- u just havent met him yet.
Psst ... Huck. I have bad news. Mothers are also women.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Psst ... Huck. I have bad news. Mothers are also women.
Yes it did but this woman happens to be on your side she is protecting her son
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting