Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 02:44 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
More bzzarre reading here. When did I ever say that I really hoped to scare the boy (well maybe if the boy is stupid and takes me seriously, then scaring him away may be a good idea). What I said was I like to test the boy. I do not expect to scare him. I do want to find out what he is made of.
"Made of"... that gave me the shivers. He has to have the same sense of humor that you do, thinking that pointing guns at people is funny... and that is an interesting test?

In any event, I think you are working an attitude that is not as prevalent as it used to be. Girls and women are not sexual gatekeepers anymore. They expect to be able to share it in equal partnership. Women don't view sex as a dirty, nasty, awful thing you only do with your husband whom you love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 04:14 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
A girl does not have to be obsessed with sex to want to have sex. A girl can be interested in having sex without being obsessed with it. I have managed a healthy sex life over the past 30 years and I do not consider myself to be sex obsessed. Having sex does not mean obsessed with sex. A person can have sex a few times a week and still have plenty of time to do other things.

The following article about high school sex is a good one.

Analysis of High School Sex | Psych Central News

The study followed over 350 girls between the ages of 14-17. 81% had some sexual experience upon enrollment in the study, the majority of the participants had their first sexual experince during the study (which was 4.5 years long). Sexual experience does not necessarily mean intercourse.

One quote stood out to me:

"In the short term, a young woman was more likely to have sex when her relationship with her partner was good, when the girl felt good and when she was interested in having sex. "

Teen girls have sex because they are interested in sex. That does not make them obsessed with sex. It just means that they want to have sex.

I can't believe people still actually believe those 1950's views on women and sexuality.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:28 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
Yes, it made the email rounds years ago but had forgotten some of it's humor. Number 10 sure sounded like many of our hubbies from their Vietnam days, and too funny! Thanks for reposting it.

When both of our daughters married, my hubby had a funny way to tell our son-in-laws that if they ever got mad enough at our girls to want to hit them that they didn't dare do so, but to send them home to us. Wish I could recall what he said even near-verbatim. It, too could have fit on this list. *(I think it was the Texan-part of him that made it sound that amusing.)

Old 03-30-2012, 04:30 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I can't believe people still actually believe those 1950's views on women and sexuality.
I can't believe that you find it so hard to believe.

God (conscience, modesty...etc.) has/have not changed.

Society has, and only society. We've degraded a ton in thousands of years.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Yes, it made the email rounds years ago but had forgotten some of it's humor. Number 10 sure sounded like many of our hubbies from their Vietnam days, and too funny!
Number 10 is the one that made me laugh out loud.

I think you have to be of a certain age and experience to appreciate the humor.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
I can't believe that you find it so hard to believe.

God (conscience, modesty...etc.) has/have not changed.

Society has, and only society. We've degraded a ton in thousands of years.
We have advanced not degraded. I fail to see how treating your daughters as helpless, and acting like they don't enjoy something they do enjoy is degrading.

Last edited by ~HecateWhisperCat~; 03-30-2012 at 05:42 PM..

Old 03-30-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Number 10 is the one that made me laugh out loud.

I think you have to be of a certain age and experience to appreciate the humor.

*shall not make jokes about artifac....i mean older folks *

Old 03-30-2012, 06:49 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
We have advanced not degraded. I fail to see how treating your daughters as helpless, and acting like they don't enjoy something they do enjoy is degrading.
And teaching them to rely on Daddy for protection until she is handed off to the next man. Just ew. My Dad was the rebel. I was raised at a time when most of the girls who were my contemporaries were not allowed to fish and do other boy things. ALL of us did everything from household chores to fishing, shooting, hiking... That is what I want for my daughter. SELF reliance. She is too smart to give over her goods to anything short of a partner.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:44 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Life is simple if you can follow up a statement with a "yall now", a long "mmmmmmhmmmmmm", a burp or fart or shooting accuracy score card then dont say it.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:17 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
My daughters and most of their friends purchased "promise rings" and wear them. I did not tell them to or encourge it, I did not know what it was. The promise ring represents a vow to remain chaste and is a gift for their husband on their wedding night. Their circle of friends were more interested in Band, getting parts in the musical, grades, shoppoing and/or sports (some of them). A boyfriend was nice, but should not get in the way of other things. They had friend boys. They went to the dances and proms and things often with friend boys if they did not have a boyfriend at the time. They were fine with that. they knew that a future husband was probably not living on our little isalnd. Serious dating is for finding the future husband. That will come later (later is now : ( ).
You really need to look into the whole promise ring movement.

Vernacular Abstinence | Practical Matters Journal

Surveys reveal consistently that abstinence pledges only delay sexual activity; most teenagers break their pledge before marriage.

Quote:
Several key themes stood out: the ring as a tool or strategy used by parents; the ring as a means of displaying or "showing off" values; the ring as a "second chance," to make a fresh start after a mistake; the ring as a token of an abstinence pledge that may be temporarily repealed when the ring is taken off; and the ring as a symbol of a word, "abstinence," that holds different meanings for different groups and individuals.
IOW, the rings could purify you after you had sex and make you a *second-time* virgin. Odd concept, but one that seems to be quite prevalent among girls in the movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting