U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:28 AM

5,515 posts, read 3,318,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
It seems to me that if a father is worried about his daughter being coerced into sex by some cad, it would be more effective to educate and empower one person--the daughter--than to try to train or intimidate every guy who comes to the door. Someday she will have her own door after all.
More so that men who think like dont think their delicate little daughters would even want to have sex. They just think their daughter doesnt even think about it, majority of girls with dads like that are more aggressive when it comes to sex than most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 07:38 AM

20,797 posts, read 32,854,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
It seems to me that if a father is worried about his daughter being coerced into sex by some cad, it would be more effective to educate and empower one person--the daughter--than to try to train or intimidate every guy who comes to the door. Someday she will have her own door after all.
It's a joke, funny, ha ha. However, you can empower your DD all you want but when she is 5' 5" and 110 pounds with a 6' tall 220 pound boyfriend, there is only so much she can do if he decides to get aggressive. I'm really glad our DD has a Dad and 2 brothers keeping an "eye" on her boyfriends....and so is she

Old 04-04-2012, 11:18 AM

6,314 posts, read 2,851,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
It's a joke, funny, ha ha. However, you can empower your DD all you want but when she is 5' 5" and 110 pounds with a 6' tall 220 pound boyfriend, there is only so much she can do if he decides to get aggressive. I'm really glad our DD has a Dad and 2 brothers keeping an "eye" on her boyfriends....and so is she
Of course she can, they are several self defense methods that use leverage over size to gain advantage. Gracie jiu jitsu is a perfect example of that. And lets be real the average man and women are not going to be that dramatically different in size.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:58 PM

20,797 posts, read 32,854,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Of course she can, they are several self defense methods that use leverage over size to gain advantage. Gracie jiu jitsu is a perfect example of that. And lets be real the average man and women are not going to be that dramatically different in size.
The average 17 year old girl and the average 17 year old boy--yes, they will be that different in size-maybe not 220 lbs but even a 50 lb difference can make a huge difference and boys just being physically stronger than girls...

Old 04-04-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The average 17 year old girl and the average 17 year old boy--yes, they will be that different in size...
The average full grown american male is 5'10 the average woman is about 5'5. Now remember this is full grown which chances are a 17 year old boy still isn't. Even so in high school i can think of maybe 3-4 boys where the height weight difference was that extreme. I mean 30-40 lbs i can see, but it's rare from there to be a near 100 lb difference. And as i said before, if you know what you are doing that extra weight/height can be used against you.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:20 AM

15,819 posts, read 32,471,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
More so that men who think like dont think their delicate little daughters would even want to have sex. They just think their daughter doesnt even think about it, majority of girls with dads like that are more aggressive when it comes to sex than most.

This is interesting. What is it based on? Did somone do a study of this? It seems an od and difficult thing to study. What number of girls were includded to determine what "the majority" of such girls do? I hope it was at least 3,000 to 4000 for them to make such a general statement. Realistically it should have been at least a couple of million girls included in the study before they could make a claim about "the majority" with any creditbility. Sometimes people will make a statement like this based on a study of less than 500 girls of that at elast half would need to be a cotnrol group of girls whose fathers are "not like this" That would leave a study of only 250 girls touted as determining "a majority of all girls" . Bizzarre. Hopefully they did nto do that. No one woudl be so pompous as to make such statmeents beased on a study of only a few hundred. It must have included a hundred thousadn at least. But it is odd that this study is so unknown if it included a large enough study to make such a global statement.

Did they take a sampling of girls from different areas of the country and different culteral background to avoid a study slanted by locaized conditions or cultures?

CAn you post a link to this study please? I would like to read it. I am always curious how someone can claim to determine what "the majority" of all girls of any type do.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:30 AM

15,819 posts, read 32,471,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
. And lets be real the average man and women are not going to be that dramatically different in size.

When I met my wife, she was 5'4' AND 104. I was 6'1" and 205

We seem pretty average to me. I do not stand out as huge or anything. Most of my freinds were simlar size. (I was somewhat more muscular than average at that time maybe). She did not stand out as tiny. Smallish maybe but not tiny. She frequently share clothgin with other girls in her sorority so she could nto have been that unusual.

Sorry but the concept of a 104 lb young lady taking out a 205 lb athletic guy is great for movies, but not for reality. I could easily hold her over my head with one hand. She could much or kick me with all of her might and not hurt me. (Not to mentiont that I was just short of a black belt). While one of my strongest compulsions was to be a gentleman in every way I could, that is not always true. If I had been a bad guy, all the classroom martial arts in the world would not have helped her.

I am not sure that a potential date rapist knowing that death possibly lies at the end of the evening is a bad thing.

Personally i like to think that my girls woudl never date a bad guy, but hey, Jeffrey Damler's mother thought he was a nice boy. And then there was John Wayne Lacy. . . .

Old 04-06-2012, 04:59 AM

714 posts, read 510,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
This is interesting. What is it based on? Did somone do a study of this? It seems an od and difficult thing to study. What number of girls were includded to determine what "the majority" of such girls do? I hope it was at least 3,000 to 4000 for them to make such a general statement. Realistically it should have been at least a couple of million girls included in the study before they could make a claim about "the majority" with any creditbility. Sometimes people will make a statement like this based on a study of less than 500 girls of that at elast half would need to be a cotnrol group of girls whose fathers are "not like this" That would leave a study of only 250 girls touted as determining "a majority of all girls" . Bizzarre. Hopefully they did nto do that. No one woudl be so pompous as to make such statmeents beased on a study of only a few hundred. It must have included a hundred thousadn at least. But it is odd that this study is so unknown if it included a large enough study to make such a global statement.

Did they take a sampling of girls from different areas of the country and different culteral background to avoid a study slanted by locaized conditions or cultures?

CAn you post a link to this study please? I would like to read it. I am always curious how someone can claim to determine what "the majority" of all girls of any type do.
From what study did you get your information that most girls don't desire sex in high school? That they aren't just as obsessed with sex as boys? Or that they "peak" at 35? Or that promise rings actually work? Many unanswered questions here. I'd love links also, and ditto to everything about the study.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
When I met my wife, she was 5'4' AND 104. I was 6'1" and 205

We seem pretty average to me. I do not stand out as huge or anything. Most of my freinds were simlar size. (I was somewhat more muscular than average at that time maybe). She did not stand out as tiny. Smallish maybe but not tiny. She frequently share clothgin with other girls in her sorority so she could nto have been that unusual.

Sorry but the concept of a 104 lb young lady taking out a 205 lb athletic guy is great for movies, but not for reality. I could easily hold her over my head with one hand. She could much or kick me with all of her might and not hurt me. (Not to mentiont that I was just short of a black belt). While one of my strongest compulsions was to be a gentleman in every way I could, that is not always true. If I had been a bad guy, all the classroom martial arts in the world would not have helped her.

I am not sure that a potential date rapist knowing that death possibly lies at the end of the evening is a bad thing.

Personally i like to think that my girls woudl never date a bad guy, but hey, Jeffrey Damler's mother thought he was a nice boy. And then there was John Wayne Lacy. . . .
Very few people really know how to fight though, and practice it. Most people don't like experiencing pain and really are not looking for a true fight. Believe me someone who is trained in the proper methods could knock you on your ass at 104 lbs, and keep you from getting up. And no you and your wife are not the average size. While you are not much above the average in height, most guys at 6'1 are not broaching 200 lbs. Now if you and your friends are athletes i can believe they would be a similar size. But remember i am talking about people on average not small subsections of society.

A 5'4 woman at 104 lbs is very underweight *even petite*, so i can't imagine all the girls in her sorority were all the same weight. I'm 5'7 which is a bit taller for a female and i weight 141. Now someone your wifes size even on a petite frame should not weigh less then 114-117. But let's face it most girls are not petitly built so it would be more expected to be around 130 lbs. Which is pretty much what most of my friends weigh, even though then whine about it .

Last edited by Lucidkitty; 04-06-2012 at 08:16 AM..

Old 04-06-2012, 09:36 AM

576 posts, read 525,935 times
Three things can't be hidden: coughing, poverty, and love. If a boy perceives a girl is loved and supported by her parents, and that they are paying attention to where she is and what she is doing, that is more than enough.

It is completely unnecessary to threaten him with words, guns, or other aggressive attitudes. If he is a thug with bad intentions, he isn't really going to care anyway. Girls with parents that are never around, who have no curfew and who have a bad relationship with her parents are much more likely to become targets of these type of boys.

The fact is, when a boy shows up at your house to pickup your daughter, it means she wants to go out with him as much as he wants to go out with her. If you are a crazy and aggressive parent, she will have warned him to "ignore my crazy dad" beforehand. And he will ignore you, like she told him to. However, if he perceives that the girl and dad have a great relationship, that he loves her and she respects him...he will know there will be consequences if he messes up with her. He doesn't need to be threatened.

Crazy, over-protective parents who like to threaten kids are the laughing stock of teenagers, you have to be kidding yourself if you think any boy will be terrified enough to stay away from her. He will just find a way to avoid you, to get to her behind your back, and even better, he will find a way to do it with her help! Its a lot better for him to perceive you as a father who loves his daughter, and has an open and constant line of communication with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting