U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:34 AM

141 posts, read 139,343 times
Default 10 Rules For Dating My Daughter

Have any of you ever seen this list? Better yet, have any of you ever cleaned your guns while your daughter's date answers the door?

10 Rules For Dating My Daughter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 08:40 AM

4,129 posts, read 4,675,352 times
My dad has 2 girls and he was thrilled anytime a boy came over. Someone to talk about sports with.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:55 AM

5,562 posts, read 2,465,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateCity2001 View Post
Have any of you ever seen this list? Better yet, have any of you ever cleaned your guns while your daughter's date answers the door?

10 Rules For Dating My Daughter
I really can't stand the men who are actually like this with their daughters too

Old 03-27-2012, 06:06 AM

4,179 posts, read 5,457,011 times
LOL my DH could have written this.

He would not allow our daughter to date anyone until he took them out to dinner first. We would sit in a nice public restaurant, and talk about sports and politics and all sorts of things. At the end of every dinner, DH would get very quiet (DD and I knew what was coming). He would look the boy in the eye, and say very quietly, "This is my baby. If you hurt her, I WILL kill you." One boy laughed and DD told him, "I wouldn't do that if I were you. He means it."

Most boys who dated our daughter would visibly shake and sweat when DH showed up. One would simply say, "G'bye" and flee. This pretty much eliminated the boys who were not/could not behave as gentlemen, who thought that our daughter was a notch to put on their gun, so to speak, and those who did not/could not respect her as a woman and as an equal (as her father has always done me).

When DD had graduated from college she was dating a real a**hole. We didn't say a word; it was her life, she was an adult who could make her own decisions, etc. He thought it was funny to put her down, even hit her 'in fun'. We said nothing, even when he told us how glad he was that we had put her thru college so that when they got married she could support him. However, when she turned 21, we took her to our local gun shop and got her a .9 Glock, even had the accessories and fittings so that it was comfortable and easy to shoot. Her BF disappeared in six weeks. Apparently knowing that she was armed and knew how to use it was TMI for him and his 'plans'.

Right now she is engaged to a man who is a 100% gentleman, and a gentle man. He treats her as an equal, and she respects him and herself. They are a cute couple. He would not ask her to marry him until they came out to the farm and spent a week with us, and he asked her father if he could marry her. He treats her like a queen, and she treats him like a king, and they are very happy, productive, and do everything together (when they are not working) including work on the house that they bought together. They run in marathons for charity, and both are employed in jobs that pay six figures. He is a weapons instructor, and brings his new acquires out to the farm, where we all go into the back 40 and shoot; he enjoys having a future wife who can shoot as well as he.

Too many girls today are taught that they have to do anything for love, that drama means passion, that disrespect means love, that makeup and 'adjustments' and beauty masques and clothes are the key to winning a man - or keeping him. Their fathers treat them like boys or ignore them, and their mothers raise them to be either dolls or drama queens, begging for attention, demanding romance, not respect.

A REAL man knows that the value of a woman goes deeper than her looks or her (or her parents') wallet, lasts longer than a butt-lift or a makeover. And a REAL man treats his daughter (and his wife) with love and respect, lets her know that he is always there for her, encourages her to be everything she wants and can be, and does not tolerate any man insulting, making fun of, or taking advantage of her.

Last edited by SCGranny; 03-27-2012 at 06:15 AM..

Old 03-27-2012, 07:12 AM

441 posts, read 992,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
LOL my DH could have written this.

He would not allow our daughter to date anyone until he took them out to dinner first. We would sit in a nice public restaurant, and talk about sports and politics and all sorts of things. At the end of every dinner, DH would get very quiet (DD and I knew what was coming). He would look the boy in the eye, and say very quietly, "This is my baby. If you hurt her, I WILL kill you." One boy laughed and DD told him, "I wouldn't do that if I were you. He means it."

Most boys who dated our daughter would visibly shake and sweat when DH showed up. One would simply say, "G'bye" and flee. This pretty much eliminated the boys who were not/could not behave as gentlemen, who thought that our daughter was a notch to put on their gun, so to speak, and those who did not/could not respect her as a woman and as an equal (as her father has always done me).

When DD had graduated from college she was dating a real a**hole. We didn't say a word; it was her life, she was an adult who could make her own decisions, etc. He thought it was funny to put her down, even hit her 'in fun'. We said nothing, even when he told us how glad he was that we had put her thru college so that when they got married she could support him. However, when she turned 21, we took her to our local gun shop and got her a .9 Glock, even had the accessories and fittings so that it was comfortable and easy to shoot. Her BF disappeared in six weeks. Apparently knowing that she was armed and knew how to use it was TMI for him and his 'plans'.

Right now she is engaged to a man who is a 100% gentleman, and a gentle man. He treats her as an equal, and she respects him and herself. They are a cute couple. He would not ask her to marry him until they came out to the farm and spent a week with us, and he asked her father if he could marry her. He treats her like a queen, and she treats him like a king, and they are very happy, productive, and do everything together (when they are not working) including work on the house that they bought together. They run in marathons for charity, and both are employed in jobs that pay six figures. He is a weapons instructor, and brings his new acquires out to the farm, where we all go into the back 40 and shoot; he enjoys having a future wife who can shoot as well as he.

Too many girls today are taught that they have to do anything for love, that drama means passion, that disrespect means love, that makeup and 'adjustments' and beauty masques and clothes are the key to winning a man - or keeping him. Their fathers treat them like boys or ignore them, and their mothers raise them to be either dolls or drama queens, begging for attention, demanding romance, not respect.

A REAL man knows that the value of a woman goes deeper than her looks or her (or her parents') wallet, lasts longer than a butt-lift or a makeover. And a REAL man treats his daughter (and his wife) with love and respect, lets her know that he is always there for her, encourages her to be everything she wants and can be, and does not tolerate any man insulting, making fun of, or taking advantage of her.
Beautiful post Granny!!!!

Old 03-27-2012, 07:59 AM

20,770 posts, read 17,998,741 times
While I appreciate the humor in joking about being a protective parent, I don't live in a world where my husband and I have to threaten teenagers with murder and give our daughter a gun. We have a few simple rules, one of them being, "If he pulls into the driveway and honks for you to come out, you're not going."

My parents were strict, but they did not pull the intimidation card much. I don't think it's necessary, and I'm not one for bluffing. Still, I know my dad can be physically imposing, just as my husband and I can be, without saying anything. There's nothing wrong with looking like someone you'd rather not cross, but I see no reason in my own family's life to make empty threats or brandish weapons. I realize that the article was a joke, though, and I laughed.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:16 AM

8,012 posts, read 3,655,212 times
We have laughed about this one as well. But in truth, I would rather teach my daughter how to handle herself than threaten some poor teenaged boy.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:24 AM

5,176 posts, read 2,438,843 times
Very funny! I laughed through that whole thing.
I think a lot of dads feel this way and joke about it. Thankfully I haven't had to deal with much but when ever boys come over my husband gets a bit uneasy. We stressed school work as priority early on so my daughters haven't really had "dates" yet. I'm looking forward to their choices, I am pretty sure they will find a good fit or they'll skip it. Kids now a days don't look at marriage or family like we did. Who knows what they'll do.
They will be dating a school book until they are out of school for the most part. lol Busy, busy busy.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:50 AM

10,025 posts, read 10,778,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I really can't stand the men who are actually like this with their daughters too
Most people who post stuff like this don't realize how sexually aggressive their teen daughters really are.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:42 AM

5,562 posts, read 2,465,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
While I appreciate the humor in joking about being a protective parent, I don't live in a world where my husband and I have to threaten teenagers with murder and give our daughter a gun. We have a few simple rules, one of them being, "If he pulls into the driveway and honks for you to come out, you're not going."

My parents were strict, but they did not pull the intimidation card much. I don't think it's necessary, and I'm not one for bluffing. Still, I know my dad can be physically imposing, just as my husband and I can be, without saying anything. There's nothing wrong with looking like someone you'd rather not cross, but I see no reason in my own family's life to make empty threats or brandish weapons. I realize that the article was a joke, though, and I laughed.
And personally i think it ends up backfiring a lot because you never teach your daughter how to handle the situations on her own. Daddy or Mommies threats always chase off the bad boys, so when they are old enough to be in the world themselves they now lack the ability. Also another downside is there is a good chance that the daughter will end up dating the type of guy you try to push out due to spite, and the fact they know it gets a rise out of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting