Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 05:12 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times

Advertisements

The thread about the mall incident makes me wonder. Most onlookers would rather not get involved. We know that. Why? Because they know that parents usually freak out if they see a stranger touching their child.

It makes me wonder if in most cases where a child is abducted in a busy public place, maybe there was an onlooker who was observing and suspected what was happening, but was afraid to get involved. They decided not to because the parents would have gotten upset when they asked, "Why didn't you stop them?" Then they would look bad. So they just go away and try to tell themselves nothing unusual happened and maybe it was just their imagination.

It's a no-win situation for the onlookers.

Do you think this is possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 12:13 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Yes, I suspect that there are situations that are "questionable" where bystanders do not get involved for fear that they are wrong. Or are worried that they might be injured for intervening.

Although, I suspect that it is a lot more common to see situations of possible child abuse/neglect (or domestic abuse) and not get involved than child or adult abductions.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:54 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
You're assuming children are abducted by strangers. Most of the time children are taken by someone they know. A child going with a known adult isn't really going to raise concerns from strangers.

I think if adults saw an actual instance of a stranger abducting a child, they would act if they recognized it as an abduction. Criminals are sneaky and take children in ways that seem pretty innocuous to a casual observer.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
You're assuming children are abducted by strangers. Most of the time children are taken by someone they know. A child going with a known adult isn't really going to raise concerns from strangers.

I think if adults saw an actual instance of a stranger abducting a child, they would act if they recognized it as an abduction. Criminals are sneaky and take children in ways that seem pretty innocuous to a casual observer.
I was thinking also of situations where a child wanders away from his family. The onlooker might notice it but choose not to do anything about it. After that point, whatever happens is unknown.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:09 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
I've stopped kids who were by themselves and asked if they needed help finding their parents, and helped when they said yes. I would intervene if I suspected something bad was happening. I've stopped, pulled out my phone and started obviously filming when I saw someone being too rough with their kid. Most people won't do anything to help, though. They don't want to get involved.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:12 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
If C-D is any indication by the "Nunya Business responses" to posters inquiries. I'd say its a fair conclusion that when abductions do transpire in a "public" area...few would think twice to interject themselves . Most are busy typing into their phones or living in their own cyber world.

I recall the "stranger- danger" platform being taught in our community civics building. Some of those kids really belted out some great yells!

Old 09-29-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I've stopped kids who were by themselves and asked if they needed help finding their parents, and helped when they said yes. I would intervene if I suspected something bad was happening. I've stopped, pulled out my phone and started obviously filming when I saw someone being too rough with their kid. Most people won't do anything to help, though. They don't want to get involved.
I don't think most people would do this.

The last time I remember intervening was at a restaurant in a sketchy part of town. I noticed a small child at the next table walking out the door but the family was talking and didn't notice. I said something to one of them and eventually someone from their table got up to get the child.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:11 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,068,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
If C-D is any indication by the "Nunya Business responses" to posters inquiries. I'd say its a fair conclusion that when abductions do transpire in a "public" area...few would think twice to interject themselves . Most are busy typing into their phones or living in their own cyber world.

I recall the "stranger- danger" platform being taught in our community civics building. Some of those kids really belted out some great yells!
More like "none of my business." Frankly, I'm not kid friendly and they are seriously in my "blind spot".
I would think folks with kids would be more aware/atuned.

Now if a dog is in trouble? I'm there. My yorkie would never forgive me.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:53 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,577 times
I've watched those "what would you do" type videos before where they set up experiments like this. The vast majority of people walking by a kid yelling help while a person yanks them down the street or into a car do not even bother to look up at the commotion.

People COULD stop a lot of crime and horrible things from happening... if they cared enough.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:51 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
well, yes they would.
essentially, most crimes could.

however...the majority of those onlookers would have been wrong.
seeing without hearing and without knowing would result in "chicken little syndrome".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting