Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 03:33 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,209,576 times

Advertisements

What would your reaction be if your teen came home telling you this happened? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...ef=mostpopular
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 03:36 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,628,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
What would your reaction be if your teen came home telling you this happened? Pennsylvania Church Kidnaps Teens, Holds Them At Gunpoint, For 'Learning Exercise' (VIDEO)
I would be LIVID. I would be looking for a new Church that is for sure!

Old 03-29-2012, 03:45 PM

22,249 posts, read 47,174,114 times
I think that is absolutely horrendous.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:46 PM

869 posts, read 1,487,699 times
I would be very angry. I would probably get into trouble to addressing this "lesson". But it appears that the parents werent asked permission but there are a lot of scenarios with churches where parents consent to things most people would consider inappropriate because the church advised it.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:54 PM

I can foresee a lawsuit happening.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:21 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,776,198 times
when I first read this story i was so angry i couldn't even post it. i can't believe some adults, and especially those in leadership and authority positions would not foresee the troubles this would cause. they individually should be charged with kidnapping and they as individuals and the church as a whole should be slapped with lawsuits from the parents of every kid involved. The audacity of these people to think they could get away with this is unbelievable.

And the lesson these kids learned? that even adult church leaders can be misguided and do a great deal of harm so be very CAREFUL who you blindly follow.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
when I first read this story i was so angry i couldn't even post it. i can't believe some adults, and especially those in leadership and authority positions would not foresee the troubles this would cause. they individually should be charged with kidnapping and they as individuals and the church as a whole should be slapped with lawsuits from the parents of every kid involved. The audacity of these people to think they could get away with this is unbelievable.

And the lesson these kids learned? that even adult church leaders can be misguided and do a great deal of harm so be very CAREFUL who you blindly follow.
I'm pretty sure in a week or so you will hear about this pastor stepping down and the church agreeing to a settlement.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:43 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,372,262 times
My parents were/are (Dad mostly) pretty fundy religious growing up.... we weren't really allowed to listen to "rock" music (I was a child in the 70's - height of the rock music is satan worship if played backwards hysteria...)

Anyway - my parents took my sister and I (maybe 8 or 9 yo?) to an Evie Tornquist concert. (she was a big Christain singer in the late 70's/early 80's).

Halfway thru the concert, the lights all came on and a very serious looking man, roughly hustled her off the stage. He then announced that were all under arrest and that they would be taking all of our information, etc.... really scary to me at the time. The gig went on for several minitues, we were all going to be in prison, etc.... Then finally, someone came on and said - no, this isn't really happening here but this is what our Christain brothers in Russia (I think) go thru just for getting to tother to praise the Lord, blah blah blah...

the concert then continued as if nothing had happened but I was terrified and my sister and I were pretty subdued the rest of the night. On the way home, Dad talked about what a great powerful message it was, etc...

I was really angry about it then - and now to I guess since the article has me seeing red....

Old 03-30-2012, 07:28 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,354,651 times
Ahem?

"In the midst of potential legal ramifications, Andrew Jordan, the church's pastor, told WHPTV he will still continue to carry out this lesson, but he will ask for parental permission."

Would this be legal? If so, it really shouldn't be!

Old 03-30-2012, 07:32 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,544,366 times
Doesn't surprise me. Unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting