U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 08:28 PM

11,294 posts, read 17,148,922 times

Advertisements

Wow, how sad. I never even heard of "pre-school" til I was an adult. We had Nursery School. Back in the 1960's it still wasn't commonplace for women who had young children to work full time, so there probably wasn't nearly the market for it that there is now. There were certainly women with young children who worked, but not enough to warrant a whole industry.

I recall - vaguely (this was when the dinosaurs roamed the Earth don't forget), playing with horsey sticks, ring around the rosie, nap, graham crackers and milk, playing on the swings outside or making snowmen, games of catch with a big red rubbery ball, building blocks, and listening to the teacher read stories to us.

In Kindergarten, they did all that, plus simple addition of single-digit numbers not including zero, counting to 10 in spanish, learning our alphabet and learning to trace the letters with big fat red-painted pencils and tracing paper, and coloring in real color books with Crayola crayons. We also improved our vocabularies and learned to recognize written words, such as cat, paper, tree, rain.

First grade brought us Dick and Jane, and we got rid of the horsey sticks and building blocks. We also learned sentences, increased our vocabularies, more numbers and the rudiments of subtraction, and sets. We got our first homework assignments ever in First Grade. They were single worksheets, usually involving tracing numbers or connect-the-dot and guess the theme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 09:38 PM

1,484 posts, read 959,482 times
My dd is in pre-K. They send homework assignments home that are very simple, and involve the parents. Like tonight's was "Look at food labels with your child. Ask your child to tell you what is in each package or container by looking at the picture. Point out words to the child. This helps the child to understand that pictures have meaning and print carries message." Then she was to draw a smiley or frowny face to show how she felt about the assignment, and I have to sign it. Often we don't even bother with it. She is way beyond it, and it's not like they get graded on it. I guess it might be beneficial to show her that she can't just not do assignments because they're boring, but at this point, I don't think it's a pressing lesson.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:58 PM

3,568 posts, read 3,216,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
MY son is in preschool and has homework every day M-F. It is usually just 1 or 2 pages- Maybe write 10 words and then write out 5 sentences or write 5 words and then draw a picture related to the five words. A few he has had to find hidden images, read a book or do some math, but nothing bad. Most of his homework is done in about 5 mins.

The kids in his class already know all the states, the bodies of water, the continents, many countries, can count to 100 and beyond, know simple addition and subtraction, money skills and things about many of the Presidents. Preschool is nothing like when we were kids, but then again, I think back then they didn't give us credit as too how much knowledge we wanted and could soak up at that time. Kids are little sponges and if you make learning fun, this age is the perfect time to start their love of learning.
Write sentences in pre-school? Waow.
The world IS going insane and our kids ARE paying for it.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:05 AM

3,568 posts, read 3,216,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
This is obscene and I blame parents for allowing it to continue. As far as I'm concerned, it's child abuse. Did any of you people like homework?

Stress.
Competition.
No downtime.

Just completely ruining childhood.
I still can't believe that no one even blinked at the idea of preschoolers having to write 5 sentences or so as homework, in addition to some additions, some reading...and should we perhaps add some square root extraction?

Oh My Lord...had I known 8 years ago what I know today I would NOT have had children. This is clear.
What sheer insanity and how unfortunate that we are forced to keep up with it.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:27 AM

2,155 posts, read 2,375,155 times
Yes, the kids write sentences- such as "The toad jumped." or "The fox ran" or there will be a sentence with a word missing and they have to fill in the word. It is not like they are FORCED to do the homework if they cant write. Maybe it is because it is a Christian preschool, but his teacher is very lax and bases the homework on the skills overall of the class. I'll try to remember to take a photo of his homework today after I pick him up from school

Most, if not all, of these kids already are reading on their own and have been for some time because they play word games and song games that get children to sound of words when they see them. Eh, we love the school and more importantly, so does my son. He is already devastated that he will not be going to 1st grade there as by then we will have to move out of the state

Old 04-05-2012, 06:39 AM

17,028 posts, read 14,549,044 times
My kids didn't get homework in preschool. That seems a tad overboard. However, if a child is lagging behind, and the teacher suggests some work at home to help the child catch up, that sounds different to me.

My kindergartner does get homework 3 nights/week which consists of reading a book, retelling the story, and a work sheet of some kind. It usually takes about 10 minutes. It is kind of a pain, but they are only in school for 3 hours/day. He gets plenty of play time.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:45 AM

5,983 posts, read 2,989,612 times
Nope, no homework here. They do do some writing practice in school, with the oversized pencils.

MissFR is more of a painter than a drawer or writer, so our preschool teacher suggested we write letters with our fingers for fun in flour or chocolate syrup.

Which we did. Thanks a bunch, MsN.

But that's about the extent of it.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:31 AM

12,171 posts, read 6,110,927 times
I have had 2 kids in preschools in 2 different states, and never had homework.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:08 PM

12,329 posts, read 12,087,976 times
personally I think it is horrible that there is pre school. what was wrong with just starting kindergarten when the child was 5.
back in my day, 5 was school time.

3 in pre school and 4 is retarded.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:41 PM

1,484 posts, read 959,482 times
I think it's wrong to force kids to learn fast and early or to pressure them. Kids at 3 and 4 years of age shouldn't feel pressured into learning, but should be experiencing the joy of discovery. On the other hand, I think it's just as wrong to hold a child back who is ready to learn. Some kids are ready early. I really don't think learning to read at 4 makes a kid any smarter than the one who learned at 6. But if a kid is ready to learn at 4, I don't see the harm in teaching them. A good preschool teacher should know the difference, and should never create an environment of competetiveness or pressure. I think the teacher in the OP who told a parent her son was "fallilng behind" was out of line, considering the kid was meeting and exceeding milestones for his age.

I honestly think all the forced learning is more for the parent's bragging rights than for the kids benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting