Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 06:51 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,383,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
Please, if you do not believe certain foods increases your risk of cancer then you are plain ignorant. It is common knowledge in the medical community that eating a lot of red meat also increases your chances of getting cancer, as does french fries. If you are unwilling to overlook a study because you think the answers are skewed then you've got issues.

The point is that my mother did not feed me healthy food. If I do end up cancer one day, I know it cannot be attributed to her one hundred percent. However, she was not the best mother either by not feeding me healthy food. If you are going to have kids the least you can do is feed them right.
Perhaps it's not the french fries, but a diet heavy with trans fats? I just think it would be difficult to isolate a population who never ate french fries from one who ate them frequently enough to cause an increased cancer risk when conducting a study.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:53 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
Perhaps it's not the french fries, but a diet heavy with trans fats? I just think it would be difficult to isolate a population who never ate french fries from one who ate them frequently enough to cause an increased cancer risk when conducting a study.
LisaMc.. Watch out.. the Mc in your name could be traumatizing lol

Old 04-01-2012, 06:58 PM

766 posts, read 1,394,353 times
SERIOUSLY???? OH LORDY!!!!

Hmmmm.... let's see..... my 4 kids are now in their 20's. I fed them french fries quite often. Of course.... we were a FARMING FAMILY, so the french fries my kids got were the potatoes that we actually dug out of the ground of our own garden! Then I would coat them with some veggie oil and butter and bake them in the oven.

Does that count?????

Or are we only talking about the fast food and store bought (non organic) kind of french fries???

Old 04-01-2012, 07:16 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
You're seething with hatred over what your mother FED YOU, and it's cancer you're worried about? Not your mental health?

Old 04-01-2012, 07:20 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,383,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
LisaMc.. Watch out.. the Mc in your name could be traumatizing lol
Honestly, that's one of the reasons I leave the "Donald" out of my screen name. By the way, do you know how hard it is for my kids to have our name and not be allowed to eat at the golden arches? It supplies our non-vegetarian, junk-food eating relatives with endless fodder.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:22 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
Honestly, that's one of the reasons I leave the "Donald" out of my screen name. By the way, do you know how hard it is for my kids to have our name and not be allowed to eat at the golden arches? It supplies our non-vegetarian, junk-food eating relatives with endless fodder.
You are a vegetarian? *fist bump*

Old 04-01-2012, 07:23 PM

766 posts, read 1,394,353 times
I just thought of something.... let me guess.... you are probably of the age that you are (or were) taking Birth Control pills.

Has the side effect possibilities of those synthetic hormone pkgs concerned you at all????

Has all the antibiotic hormones injected into your beef and chicken bother you?

What about all those vaccines you were subjected to as a child? Does this bother you?

What about all the chemical runoff that has contaminated your food and water supply, that you injested?

Shall I continue????

Old 04-01-2012, 07:43 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,958,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
I just thought of something.... let me guess.... you are probably of the age that you are (or were) taking Birth Control pills.

Has the side effect possibilities of those synthetic hormone pkgs concerned you at all????

Has all the antibiotic hormones injected into your beef and chicken bother you?

What about all those vaccines you were subjected to as a child? Does this bother you?

What about all the chemical runoff that has contaminated your food and water supply, that you injested?

Shall I continue????
Never took birth control pills in my life; don't assume things about me.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:47 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,958,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
SERIOUSLY???? OH LORDY!!!!

Hmmmm.... let's see..... my 4 kids are now in their 20's. I fed them french fries quite often. Of course.... we were a FARMING FAMILY, so the french fries my kids got were the potatoes that we actually dug out of the ground of our own garden! Then I would coat them with some veggie oil and butter and bake them in the oven.

Does that count?????

Or are we only talking about the fast food and store bought (non organic) kind of french fries???
Yes it does account; even BAKING FRIES releases acrylamide which has been linked with cancer. There is no distinction between home made fries and Mcdonalds in terms of acrylamide; it is the act of frying the potatoes at a high heat that results in acrylamide It has nothing to do with the oils used.

Obviously if there will be negative results later on it won't show when your kids are in their 20's or 30's... but much later down the line.

From Wikipedia

Acrylamide also occurs in many cooked starchy foods and is of concern as a possible carcinogen.[2] Acrylamide was accidentally discovered in foods in April 2002 by scientists in Sweden when they found the chemical in starchy foods, such as potato chips, French fries, and bread that had been heated (production of acrylamide in the heating process was shown to be temperature-dependent).[2] It was not found in food that had been boiled[2][3] or in foods that were not heated.[2]
In February 2009, Health Canada announced that they were assessing whether acrylamide, which occurs naturally during the cooking of French fries, potato chips, and other processed foods, is a hazard to human health and whether any regulatory action needs to be taken. They are currently collecting information on the properties and prevalence of acrylamide in order to make their assessment.[4] In December 2009, after a positive reception from the food industry, Health Canada invited comment from the public on this proposal.[5]
The European Chemical Agency added acrylamide to the list of substances of very high concern in March 2010.[6]

Acrylamide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-01-2012, 07:55 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Your mother was most likely trying to please you, not poison you. There are many people in the world who have real issues with their parents doing them harm. Your thread trivializes them.

Live a healthy lifestyle, get regular mammograms, and get over your irrational accusations. You'll live a longer, and probably happier, life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting