Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 08:00 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times

Advertisements

Some people think mammograms can cause cancer, but that's another issue.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:21 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
They are POTATOES.

If you want to say POTATOES cause cancer I will say the air you breath does as well. OR LA hot spots...hehehe...Damn you mom.

Interesting people on CD...

Old 04-01-2012, 08:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
She fed me fries as a kid, as a teen she fed me lots of white rice with low grade beef (red meat).
You do know that pretty much every kid in the area you grew up in eats the same diet, don't you? You're the first one I've heard who's upset because you "had" to eat fries.

BTW, the fact that you lived 5 minutes from the beach should more than make up for a few fries. Beach covers fries.

Think positive.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:49 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,165 times
Really?? Wikipedia is where you go to for reliable information on issues like these?

June/July 2007 Ask the Regulators: Acrylamide, Furan, and the FDA

Acrylamide in Food

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/Fo.../UCM197239.pdf (100% of the population eats acrylamide through their diet, but not 100% of the population ends up with breast cancer, or any cancer.. so what does that tell you)

Acrylamide

So, although it has been researched, there is conflicting study results on if there is a link between acrylamide and cancer. Seriously, if you are going to live your life worried about whether or not you MAY get cancer because of something your mom feed you, you may want to take a step back and look at your life and just learn to appreciate what you have and what you were given and what you have to offer others.

Quote:
Yes it does account; even BAKING FRIES releases acrylamide which has been linked with cancer. There is no distinction between home made fries and Mcdonalds in terms of acrylamide; it is the act of frying the potatoes at a high heat that results in acrylamide It has nothing to do with the oils used.

Obviously if there will be negative results later on it won't show when your kids are in their 20's or 30's... but much later down the line.

From Wikipedia

Acrylamide also occurs in many cooked starchy foods and is of concern as a possible carcinogen.[2] Acrylamide was accidentally discovered in foods in April 2002 by scientists in Sweden when they found the chemical in starchy foods, such as potato chips, French fries, and bread that had been heated (production of acrylamide in the heating process was shown to be temperature-dependent).[2] It was not found in food that had been boiled[2][3] or in foods that were not heated.[2]
In February 2009, Health Canada announced that they were assessing whether acrylamide, which occurs naturally during the cooking of French fries, potato chips, and other processed foods, is a hazard to human health and whether any regulatory action needs to be taken. They are currently collecting information on the properties and prevalence of acrylamide in order to make their assessment.[4] In December 2009, after a positive reception from the food industry, Health Canada invited comment from the public on this proposal.[5]
The European Chemical Agency added acrylamide to the list of substances of very high concern in March 2010.[6]

Acrylamide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-01-2012, 08:56 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
When I was young, my mom fed me french fries all the time. As a result I have a higher risk of cancer now. It didn't contribute to my size or anything; I am a size 00 and wear XS. However, SHE DID increase my chances of getting cancer. Granted, this was back in the 80's so she probably wasn't aware of the fact that she was killing me.

French Fries in Childhood Tied to Breast Cancer? | Fox News

In a new study, women were more likely to get breast cancer if they had regularly eaten french fries decades earlier as preschoolers.

"A girl's breast prior to puberty is much more susceptible to environmental and potentially cancer-causing influence than a breast of an adult woman," Michels says.
Michels says the study is one of the first, if not the first, of its kind to look at adult breast cancer risk and preschool diets.
"For some people, that might be so far removed from the time that you get the cancer. On the other hand, we also know that cancer takes decades to develop so it is less far-fetched than it might seem," says Michels.

Thanks a lot mom.

I actually cut her out of my life a long time ago (for reasons unrelated to this) but here is another prime example of negligent and abusive parenting.
Um, you acknowledged that she couldn't have known at the time, so how could you possibly hold it against her?

Old 04-01-2012, 09:14 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
I didn't (and still don't) eat fries, pork, much red meat, artificial sweetener, etc etc and I still got cancer at 23.

The fact of the matter is, barring things like smoking, tanning, or swimming in toxic dumps, cancer can come from everything and nothing. If you went through the studies as much as I do, you'd see that practically everything causes cancer. Too much soy, not enough soy, too much dairy, not enough dairy, too much sun, not enough sun - get the drift?

You don't even seem to have cancer. Stop complaining and wishing this fate on yourself. Stress and anger definitely contribute to not only certain cancers, but also heart issues. Now it's on you.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:36 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,145 times
This topic is almost funny, but OP I feel very sorry for you. You seem like someone just looking for reasons to be miserable. The funny part is you pick french fries as a reason. I don't know what happened between you and your mother, but if it's as bad as you want us to think, french fries should be the last concern. At least you ate, some kids parents starve them to death. Maybe you would prefer that, is starvation better than cancer to you?

IMO, cancer should be the least of your worries. You don't have cancer, and from what you say you are physically healthy. It's your mental health that is in question by the topic and tone of your OP.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:55 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
You will get cancer and will likely die from it. Why?

Because you expect to.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:03 PM

652 posts, read 1,052,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
How could they possibly isolate french fries out of all the things you were exposed to in life? How can cancer be linked to childhood consumption of french fries? is there a french fry residue in the cancer? Is the cancer shaped like a fry? This seems so silly.
Yeah. At least wait until further research is done.

I'd be hard pressed to find someone that has never had a french fry in their childhood.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:07 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
jackie-
And sorry, but no, even if you DO end up with cancer one day, it may not have ANYTHING to do with the food that you eat. But go ahead building up that resentment towards your mother anyway. Good luck with that
It may not. But it probably will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting