U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 01:42 PM

423 posts, read 214,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Kids masturbating is a fairly normal healthy phenominum. What should she do instead chop his penis off?
I consider your question to be ridiculous so I'm moving on to the next
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Status: "My Child is an Honor Student. My Governor is a Moron!" (set 27 days ago)

25,987 posts, read 17,240,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell-the-Truth View Post
My Gosh I'm convinced I was born on Mars lol

I've raised two boys one is 18 one is 10. I just read a post stating to give a 4 yr old privacy while he plays with his penis in his room?? wth???
I feel fairly confident your sons did the same thing. You may have given them the idea it was "dirty" or something to be ashamed of and they made sure you never saw them but it did happen.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:48 PM

12,143 posts, read 5,964,340 times
Quote:
My Gosh I'm convinced I was born on Mars lol

I've raised two boys one is 18 one is 10. I just read a post stating to give a 4 yr old privacy while he plays with his penis in his room?? wth???
Quote:
I consider your question to be ridiculous so I'm moving on to the next
What advice do you have for the OP? If you raised 2 sons (successfully) surely you dealt with this situation, so please share. Thanks.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:48 PM

6,235 posts, read 2,750,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
This actually came up in a tv show, is it still masturbating if he isnt actually doing what we would consider masturbation? I should be treating it like masturbation? You have alone time to do that otherwise its not appropriate..
It is in the fact that he is doing it for pleasure and children can and do it to orgasm. However it lacks sexuality since children connect arrousal to how they feel or events that lead them to feel that way, or they do it as a comfort mechanism. I.E. a toddler is going to get hard because he knows that if he touches his penis it feels good. However a teen will see a girl he likes and get erect because at his age he wants to mate with her. So yes it technically is masturbation however it is not the same as it will be as he ages and becomes more aware.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:04 PM

423 posts, read 214,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
What do you suggest as an alternative?
I've spoken to both my boys about masturbation, at length. Being human I'm privvy to the human "condition" so our discussion included it being quite normal to investigate one's private parts, and it being normal that it "feels good." However, they were both told that playing with themselves is not the most.............lucrative or appropriate use of their time and I gave them reasons why based upon my beliefs and my personal experiences.

Do I suspect they still sought that pleasure, probably the same night of the conversation? possibly, it's a hard habit to break. But I don't dismiss teaching moments based upon how I think my children will respond.

No four year old child has "privacy" to do anything in my house.

While we're at it a 14 year old shouldn't expect too much (I will knock on your door before entering but it being my house)..........go figure!

Old 04-02-2012, 02:05 PM

666 posts, read 350,992 times
I don't have kids, but to the person who said that they would probably be prepared for little boys to act this way in preK and K, I wouldn't count on their calm reactions. There have been stories of little kids getting in trouble for hugging teachers, I shudder to think what would happen to some little boy innocently playing with his penis in preK or kindergarten in this day and age, especially if some little girl happens to see.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I've spoken to both my boys about masturbation, at length. Being human I'm privvy to the human "condition" so our discussion included it being quite normal to investigate one's private parts, and it being normal that it "feels good." However, they were both told that playing with themselves is not the most.............lucrative or appropriate use of their time and I gave them reasons why based upon my beliefs and my personal experiences.

Do I suspect they still sought that pleasure, probably the same night of the conversation? possibly, it's a hard habit to break. But I don't dismiss teaching moments based upon how I think my children will respond.

No four year old child has "privacy" to do anything in my house.

While we're at it a 14 year old shouldn't expect too much (I will knock on your door before entering but it being my house)..........go figure!
I don't get what is wrong with a child doing that in his or her room? What does it hurt? I also don't see the point in trying to dissuade a natural part of humanity.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:14 PM

4,069 posts, read 3,632,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Let me offer a different tactic to try. Every time you see his hands in his pants send him to wash his hands. You don't have to explain why, but if you wish you can tell him that you always wash your hands after touching your privates, just as if you've gone potty.

If you send him every time, he will get tired of washing his hands so many times and he will cut down quickly on how many times his hands are in his pants. Trust me as we used this in the child care center and it works pretty easily.
This makes more sense to me than any of the other suggestions. I have two boys that were 9 1/2 years apart and I never saw either one of them having this fascination with their penis so "they all do it" is debatable. Keep in mind that this has been going on for 3 years according to the OP. Have you talked to the doctor? Could there be some allergy to the laundry detergent or maybe the fabric of the underwear that may cause him to want to rub it or spray it for relief? Allergies are very common. My only other thought, which I am sure won't be appreciated, would be the possibility of sexual abuse making this so prevalent. When he starts school, I am guessing they will be concerned.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn311601 View Post
I don't have kids, but to the person who said that they would probably be prepared for little boys to act this way in preK and K, I wouldn't count on their calm reactions. There have been stories of little kids getting in trouble for hugging teachers, I shudder to think what would happen to some little boy innocently playing with his penis in preK or kindergarten in this day and age, especially if some little girl happens to see.
Lets face it the stories of kids getting in trouble are quiet rare, and the result of some overzealous teacher,parent, or administrator. My little sister hugs her teachers, and has never been told it was wrong.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:19 PM

3,525 posts, read 1,537,944 times
Tell him it's not his job to touch his penis...and when he asks for an explaination tell him you'll tell him more in a couple years, if he stops touching his penis..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting