Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:47 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,000,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
Yeah they need cups for tball. Sell them in JR size at Target. Its surprising to me too but I suppose an aluminum bat to the "gibblies" (which is what my DH apparently decided to call DS' testicles at Target lol) is dangerous and uncomfortable no matter the age.
I didnt know the cups for Tball either. Our son went thru 2 yrs of Tball and now turning 7 will do baseball. No mention of cups. But safe than sorry I suppose

We have 3 boys...one 7 and two at 3.... I tend to agree with most others here dont make a big deal of it. You can teach him of course not to do it in public. Most do things to get a reaction.... and this shall pass soon.

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 09:48 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times
haven't read all the responses but surely hope I'm not the first to tell you that punishing him is the werong way to handle it.
This is what i did. I did not want to give my son any shame about what he was doing but rasther redirect him and tell him how.

I told him I knew it made him feel good but that it was something he should do only in private in his room or bathroom.

If I caught him with his hands in his pants- and seems that he did it all the time-especially while watching TV- I would come turn the TV off and gently guide him to his room and told him to close the door and when he was finished or felt he didn't need to touch himself anymore he could come out. He got over it and didn't do it in school but surely you know most guys - of all ages- think that thing is the greatest prize in the world and the fascination never dies!

Old 04-02-2012, 11:26 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
This thread has made my day. All 3 of my sons were totally fascinated by their penises at age 4. None of them walk around today at 13, 15, 18 touching themselves in public.

You might try a little humor. I once asked my youngest if there was a penis thief on the loose. I also asked him if he needed to touch it to see if it was still there. Most of the time I just asked the boys to go to to thier room if they wanted to play with his penis. Eventually they did get the message.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:00 PM

458 posts, read 611,160 times
My Gosh I'm convinced I was born on Mars lol

I've raised two boys one is 18 one is 10. I just read a post stating to give a 4 yr old privacy while he plays with his penis in his room?? wth???

Old 04-02-2012, 12:13 PM

869 posts, read 1,494,084 times
I know you guys are picking on me about it but seriously i know he will get over it, i just dont want him yanking his penis in public :/

Old 04-02-2012, 12:24 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,277,553 times
Quote:
I know you guys are picking on me about it but seriously i know he will get over it, i just dont want him yanking his penis in public :/
Look at the bright side of this dave . In 13 years you will be able to share this story with his girlfriend .

Old 04-02-2012, 12:25 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,277,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell-the-Truth View Post

I've raised two boys one is 18 one is 10. I just read a post stating to give a 4 yr old privacy while he plays with his penis in his room?? wth???
Kids masturbating is a fairly normal healthy phenominum. What should she do instead chop his penis off?

Old 04-02-2012, 12:31 PM

869 posts, read 1,494,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Kids masturbating is a fairly normal healthy phenominum. What should she do instead chop his penis off?
This actually came up in a tv show, is it still masturbating if he isnt actually doing what we would consider masturbation? I should be treating it like masturbation? You have alone time to do that otherwise its not appropriate..

Old 04-02-2012, 12:38 PM

13,413 posts, read 9,947,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell-the-Truth View Post

What do you suggest as an alternative?

Old 04-02-2012, 12:42 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
Quote:
While I do agree that ignored behavior goes away, sometimes I believe you have to enforce the rules because they are there for a reason. If he was at home and just being slightly inappropriate I might be able to ignore it, but I refuse to over look the rudeness that is touching your genitals in public.
Well, I recognize the wisdom of my grandmother's stupid parenting lessons but I don't have the patience for most of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting