Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:40 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times

Advertisements

I don't dig gifts for achievements but if you feel obligated I'd say the fifty with a note toward the computer like everyone else said.
My high schoolers worked and sold stuff and saved holiday money for their computers. There reward for graduating is their education and getting to move on up and outta there. lol
There reward for buying their own computers is I nor their little brother can't touch it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 05:30 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
How many young men do you see who wear watches now? They all use their phone.

And cuff links??? sorry Julia i think that would not be appreciated at all. very few younger men and even older men wear shirts with cuff links. He might wear them in 20 years but even most professional men I know, lawyers, executives only wear cuff links for special occasions. Just something else to worry about taking off for air travel and to worry about getting stolen.
I still put stock in symbolic gifts for certain occasions and prefer them to cash that will most likely just get frittered away on nothing substantial. For me, graduation from high school is a moment where we welcome a child into the threshold of adulthood, in which they are presented with a small present fitting a young adult. That's me, though. Others feel the moment is barely worth a gift at all.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:12 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I still put stock in symbolic gifts for certain occasions and prefer them to cash that will most likely just get frittered away on nothing substantial. For me, graduation from high school is a moment where we welcome a child into the threshold of adulthood, in which they are presented with a small present fitting a young adult. That's me, though. Others feel the moment is barely worth a gift at all.
I think that is great if your family is raised to appreciate symbolic gifts. Unfortunately I think this would be lost on my grandson

Wow....after all these responses, and considering there is no graduation ceremony or party that we were invited to, well maybe as only a grandparent we don't need to go overboard.

I think a nice card and a little money will be plenty.

Thanks.

Last edited by ylisa7; 04-04-2012 at 06:23 AM..

Old 04-04-2012, 06:27 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I think that is great if your family is raised to appreciate symbolic gifts. Unfortunately I think this would be lost on my grandson

Wow....after all these responses, and considering there is no graduation ceremony or party that we were invited to, well maybe as only a grandparent we don't need to go overboard.

I think a nice card and a little money will be plenty.

Thanks.
If there is no ceremony or party - how has the gift conversation even come up? My school went from K-8 so there was an actual graduation and my parents had family over. I think I got cards with some money. My brother threw parties for his kids when they graduated and we all gave them money as well. But it wouldn't have been more than $50.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:20 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,383,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
$5 for popcorn? You're lucky to get a soda for that.
HaHaHa. I guess I don't get out to the movies very often other than the triplex in our little town where tickets are still $5 ($2.50 for kids) and the owner sells the tickets and than scurries behind the concession counter to scoop out the popcorn and fill the soda cups. And, of course, he sweeps up the popcorn after the movies let out.

I'll have to give my kid a $10 this weekend when she goes to the multiplex in our nearest city to see Hunger Games.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:26 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
If there is no ceremony or party - how has the gift conversation even come up? My school went from K-8 so there was an actual graduation and my parents had family over. I think I got cards with some money. My brother threw parties for his kids when they graduated and we all gave them money as well. But it wouldn't have been more than $50.
Same here....his class is K-8.

My grandson mentioned what he "wanted"

Old 04-04-2012, 08:11 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Same here....his class is K-8.

My grandson mentioned what he "wanted"
The card and money are very generous.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:38 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The card and money are very generous.
I just looked back and realized it's your husband's grandson. So my answer has changed to "let him handle it". And tell him the gift better not be the computer.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:59 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,664 times
Maybe regional dependant? Here, no-one gets gifts for 8th grade graduation, just for Highschool grad/ going to college. I don't think they even do grad photos.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:45 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I graduated at semester of 08.
So my graduation doubled as christmas too so i got a laptop on christmas, i was starting my college classes in january so i needed one.
i also got a luggage set from my grandparents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting