Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 03:52 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't be worried about losing the "friendship" as it doesn't seem like there really has been one for years. I would put my foot down on having her, this minor, come stay in your house when you really don't know her who she has grown to become. I would think much more frequent get togethers would need to be had before allowing her to come stay in the home for a short while. Why would her parents go off to Yellowstone without her and it seems weird that they are just ok with their minor childing leaving home. Something seems fishy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 06:53 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,486,519 times
I agree that the parents probably have no clue that this kid is planning her own trip without them. Unless they are completely lax in their parenting, they would logically contact anyone their child is staying with, make plans for them, and make sure it is okay. Nobody with common sense and courtesy would even send their kid to a family member without calling first, let alone friends they haven't spoken to in years. Just tell your dd, or tell the kid yourself, that her parents will need to contact you first. And you can tell them that you and your family have plans that week, you have to work, or whatever.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:26 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,096 times
Thank you everyone for your advice. I guess I was worrying about losing the friendship I remember us having... not the one we actually have (sort of) now.

It's my understanding that she moved in with an adult boyfriend and some other roommates. Not sure how she dropped out of school, as it is not legal to leave school that young in the state she's in.

I've always known our friends were "lazy" parents that didn't enforce much in the way of rules, but this really is over-the-top.

If they contact me, I will tell them they are welcome to visit on their family vacation, but we aren't in the position to host a teenager for any length of time.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:07 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
besides all that, what would a 15 year old drop out and a 18 year old senior have in common anyway? I think this kid is just looking for a place to crash and thought of you. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:08 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
besides all that, what would a 15 year old drop out and a 18 year old senior have in common anyway? I think this kid is just looking for a place to crash and thought of you. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.
That's what I think, too ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I think she is out of places to stay and if she comes to "visit," she will have no reason to leave, cause she has no place to return to . . . good luck with that! I agree w/ Kudzu (and others) who say NO WAY.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:34 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,678,851 times
Depending on how responsible your 17 yo is this could actual benefit the 15 yo. She wont know anyone else around your area to hang out with so her and your 17 yo would spend alot of time together and may show her the "right" way to act.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:11 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
Depending on how responsible your 17 yo is this could actual benefit the 15 yo. She wont know anyone else around your area to hang out with so her and your 17 yo would spend alot of time together and may show her the "right" way to act.
Well I would think it could be good for the girl except for the 15 year old boy who finds her creepy and stalkerish.

I think it may be the boy she's after more than the 17 year "friend". She might think he's cute and a good prospect and because of that more than anything, I think it's not a good idea.

I've had kids stay in my house because things weren't right at home, and I wouldn't kick a kid out, sometimes it's good for them to have a safety net, but in this case, the girl sounds like trouble.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:49 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
Thank you everyone for your advice. I guess I was worrying about losing the friendship I remember us having... not the one we actually have (sort of) now.

It's my understanding that she moved in with an adult boyfriend and some other roommates. Not sure how she dropped out of school, as it is not legal to leave school that young in the state she's in.

I've always known our friends were "lazy" parents that didn't enforce much in the way of rules, but this really is over-the-top.

If they contact me, I will tell them they are welcome to visit on their family vacation, but we aren't in the position to host a teenager for any length of time.
Something doesn't feel right about this story to tell you the truth. Have you thought about calling them and letting them know about all of this
??

Old 04-06-2012, 03:50 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
sex
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting