Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 11:50 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times

Advertisements

I just see so much over the top excess now in birthday parties for kids. Everything is scripted, choregraphed, and planned to extreme. $500 for a party for a five year old child?! My question is....kids emulate behaviors of parents and siblings at that age, where did she get the idea of not liking the party planned for her? My daughter would have been thrilled. Just something to think about....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 01:12 PM

2,454 posts, read 3,216,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
You don't give a five year old 5 choices on what they want for breakfast. It will take forever to get the task done..Don't even hint that there are choices...cos' in there simple minds there are none..why put a choice in their sweet little heads...Just give them want you want to give them...and that's that.
My three year old has no problem selecting her breakfast from a list of choices.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:14 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,757,722 times
First off, your son should have asked his daughter what she wanted. Though his intentions were good and good for him for taking the initiative here since most men wait for their wives to do this stuff, he still should have asked before putting down so much money, so that was his fault. I always asked my kids what theme they want, but we have our parties at home and I don't tend to buy the supplies until a couple weeks prior, so if they change their minds, which they have, its not a problem.

However, that is alot of money to lose and I would tell her to deal with it or there won't be a party. Tantrums = no party. $200 or not. She will love her party if she loves the princesses and he can always take her to the zoo another time.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:07 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,757,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
So am I. I did not want 20 preschoolers at my house. No one got bent out of shape by having only 4 or 5 kids.

It's not rude to leave kids out when you want a smaller party. It's rude to think that every parent has to invite all 20 kids at that age, imo. Also at 3 or 4, you probably would need to have all the parents too. With 4 or 5 kids we knew well, the kids could be there without the parents.
Not to mention some cannot afford to have parties for that many people, like me. My son invited 4 kids from his 2nd grade class for his party this week. Goodie bags are expensive so I started doing some candy, that I always make for the parties anyway, in a bag. Good enough and if not tough crappola.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:26 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
My son put down a deposit on a party place that has Disney princess parties. This is for a birthday party for his daughter (my granddaughter). This was about 2 months ago. Well now, in the last couple of weeks, my granddaughter has started (tearfully) telling my son that nooooo, she doesn't want a princess party, she wants to have her party at the zoo (which actually is cheaper). But if my son cancels the princess party, he loses a couple hundred dollars of deposit. What should he do?

My opinion is that 5-year-olds do not get a say in such things and he should stick to the original plan (princess party).
I didn't read the whole thread...shoot me...but here is what I would say...

Do 5 year olds get to choose what kind of party they want? Within reason absolutely yes. No, we aren't taking your whole class to Disney World, but you get to pick the theme and where it will be held from a list of choices. I would not plan a party without first finding out what my child wants.

If my child decided to have a princess party and we made all the arrangements, but then they changed their mind...I'm not accomodating that request. They made the choice, it is what it is and we are sticking with it. If their advice was never sought, then I would apologize, but explain that the party needs to go on as planned, but would be sure to include them in future planning.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:07 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I agree she most likely will have no issues the day of the party, and logically because of the money he can't really get out. However i think it's pretty much a stretch saying letting your child choose where they want their birthday party is the key to her walking over her father later in life. Sure she does not call the shots, but it's still her birthday, and within reason she should be able to choose what she wants.
I can't imagine why you wouldn't ask the child her opinion. I mean...it is a party celebrating her birthday, right? Isn't the point of a birthday party to make the birthday child happy? So why wouldn't you want to know what she would like? The idea of not asking and then getting angry that you picked the wrong thing is just bizarre to me. Yes, they're both stuck with it now, but hopefully the dad will be more open next year.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:08 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
My three year old has no problem selecting her breakfast from a list of choices.
Good grief, the lack of respect for young children on this thread is amazing, isn't it?

My son was getting his own breakfast when he was 3 years old (out of some pre-arranged choices discussed with him in advance).

Parents who do not know how to teach their kids how to make good choices only handicap them in the long run.

Even worse are the parents who don't allow their kids to form their own opinions and insist that the parents opinion should be their opinion. We see evidence of such handicapped young adults ALL around us these days. It's disgusting

Old 04-10-2012, 12:43 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I think it's quite a leap from "Jenny likes Disney princesses, so I bet she would love a princess party" to disrespecting children and stifling their desires to the point of handicap. It's not like the dad is dragging his daughter to Joe-Bob's Llama-rama and Pointy Stick Emporium.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:49 PM

869 posts, read 1,494,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think it's quite a leap from "Jenny likes Disney princesses, so I bet she would love a princess party" to disrespecting children and stifling their desires to the point of handicap. It's not like the dad is dragging his daughter to Joe-Bob's Llama-rama and Pointy Stick Emporium.
From what I understand and I agree, I dont think the poster you are referencing is talking about the OP. They are talking about the people who say a 4 year old cant even decide that they want for breakfast, much less what kind of party they want. Or the ones saying that children dont get a say. I do find that disrespectful to the children and I tend to think that most people with toddler age children would agree that not only do they know what they want, they usually find creative ways of acquiring it. A 4 year old is a child but not incapable of doing anything.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:04 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I don't think that's what the poster meant by lack of respect. I think it was the reference to the post where someone said that 4 year olds can't make decisions. Well of course they can't make decisions-their parents never let them try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting