Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:35 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't change the plans, but let her know that she can have her next bday party at the zoo if that is what she wants. (But know that it will be the next best thing next year, not necessarily the zoo.)

She will love the party you planned!

It's like halloween costumes. You buy the one they want a month ahead and they change their minds four times before halloween.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 08:38 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
could he possibly take her on a Daddy and Me visit to the zoo as a special day before the party?
I think he should have asked her what she wanted before putting down a deposit. A 5 year old can definitely have strong opinions about something. But he should not lose money over it.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:41 PM

485 posts, read 1,011,665 times
Wow, you guys are amazing. Thanks for all the guidance.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:43 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,383,947 times
I'd keep the original plan; no reason your son should lose his deposit. I'm sure she'll love the party once it takes place.

I've always let my girls choose their themes. They usually get creative ideas from FamilyFun.com.

However, we have our parties at home so there's no risk of having to change venues last minute or losing money. Once I've purchased the invitations, decorations, etc. no theme changes are allowed.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:44 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,325 times
I would take her to the zoo on a rainy,gloomy day when the animals are all hiding in their caves. This will help her get over her love of zoos. Just kidding. I think kids should be asked their opinions, but once a plan is made no going back. This is the easy stuff. Wait a couple of years

Old 04-05-2012, 08:49 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
If it were my daughter (turning 6 in a few weeks), I would stick to the plan because it's likely that she would change her mind again in two days anyway. They can be such drama queens at this age! Plus, I would have at least asked her opinion about her own birthday party in the first place (unless it was a surprise party). But even if I hadn't asked her first, our motto is, "You get what you get and you don't pitch a fit."
You shouldnt do suprise parties for kids.
suprise parties are for teens/adults who arent even really expecting a party party.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:59 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
My son put down a deposit on a party place that has Disney princess parties. This is for a birthday party for his daughter (my granddaughter). This was about 2 months ago. Well now, in the last couple of weeks, my granddaughter has started (tearfully) telling my son that nooooo, she doesn't want a princess party, she wants to have her party at the zoo (which actually is cheaper). But if my son cancels the princess party, he loses a couple hundred dollars of deposit. What should he do?

My opinion is that 5-year-olds do not get a say in such things and he should stick to the original plan (princess party).
I found this thread by chance. I'm a old man with no children. But I can't imagine that a couple hundred dollars is more important than letting a little girl have the best birthday possible. She's five years old; don't try to teach her a lesson.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:59 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Yes she should have a say, but not after the party is already booked. Stick with the original plan and ask her ahead of time next year.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:13 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Did he happen to sign a contract?

Old 04-05-2012, 09:17 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Yes she should have a say, but not after the party is already booked. Stick with the original plan and ask her ahead of time next year.
Bascially this ^. Unless he can wrangle the money back he should just explain the place was paid for already, and he will take her to the zoo the next week. This is a perfect learning lesson about assuming things for daddy though .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting