Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 08:25 PM

687 posts, read 1,493,538 times

Advertisements

In my family, we tend to name after family members. Lots to choose from, from classic to quirky. I chose the more classic names - what I called "letterhead" names. I wanted my kids to all have something that could be taken seriously if necessary, but they all have nicknames derived from their names. (My Victoria is most commonly called Tor because she's something of a badass and the girly versions just don't fit her.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 08:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Braden (Braeden, Brayden, Bradyn, Braedyn, Braydyn)
Caden (Ditto)
Grayden, Grayson, etc
Hayden, etc
Jaden, etc
Kaden, etc
Layton, etc
Payton, Peyton, Paeton, Payson, etc

I've seen 'em all.
Saw "Greyson" today at work.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:23 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I went to grad school with a guy named Kelly whose wife was also named Kelly.

A friend and I were talking about names the other night, and how there aren't really any little kids now named Jennifer or Amy or Scott or Jeff like practically everyone we went to school with. Soon they'll be entrenched "old person" names, and then it'll come around again where hipster babies will be named Allison or Dave.
I grew up with Scotts and Jeffs and maybe one Amy, but Amy and Jennifer were names that became very popular when I was already an adult.

I find it bizarre as heck that "Isabel" is popular again--that's my mother's age group, and she is 84. As a matter of fact, she is Charlotte, and that one has made a comeback, too!

Wonder if we'll be seeing any little Helens or Bettys anytime soon...

Old 02-08-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yeah, I had a Great Uncle Gus whose name was August. I can't remember now if his birthday was in August. I've heard of May (Mae) as a nickname for Mary before. Maybe your classmate was due in June and her parents had already picked out the name and couldn't come up with another one!
That could be! I also remember that her brother, who was two years older, had the same birthday that she did.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
I found it interesting looking at my dd's list of classmates for valentine's cards. A few had traditional names like Sarah, Steven, and oddly enough, Pearl. I haven't seen a Pearl under the age of 60 before. And a boy named Jessie, another one I never see anymore. Then there's Hannah, Sophia, Olivia, Kaiden, Noah, Kendan, Shakari, Ti'Yana, Shavoni, Martavian, Desiree, Ariana, two Javions, and two Jadas. The hispanic students seem to have traditionally hispanic names like Javier, Santos, Jose. I found it interesting, considering my own classmates names were names like David, Angie, Debbie, Tasha, Stacy, Melissa, Robin, Rebecca, Brian, Lamar, Michael, and Michelle.
Wow, interesting array of names. My dd is now 21, and her class was full of Jessicas and Kates (Katelyns or Caitlins or whatever) and Ashleys.

Martavian???

My classmates had names like Kathy and Debbie and Patty and Jimmy and Bobby and Billy. Late 50s-born kids!

Old 02-08-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordula View Post
Yeah, I noticed that a lot of Hispanics use certain names. It always seems to be Juan, Jose, Carlos, or Antonio for boys here. Then again, I guess it's not that much different from English. Always John, David, Michael, or Jayden.
An odd thing I noticed is that a lot of women at work in their 40s and 50 who are Puerto Rican have names that were popular over 100 years ago--Millie, Nellie, Martha, etc. Nellie was my grandmother's name, and she was born back in 1892.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:11 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,355,784 times
I saw the list of baby names linked somewhere.

The only "conventional" names that have remained strong contenders have been Michael, and to some extent William. I think Robert fell out of the top 5 during the 70s or 80s.

Every new baby boy now has a name that starts with a "J": Jacob, Joshua, Jeremiah. We're in the New Millenium, not in the Old Testament.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:15 PM

260 posts, read 337,597 times
I was born in '63 and every other girl in my grade was named Lisa. We also had lots of girls named Karen, Diane, Laura, Linda, Lori/Laurie, Christina, Mary, Susan, Elizabeth/Liz/Beth and Sharon. After the 70's - you really never hear of a girl born being named one of those names (maybe the exception is Christina). My name is a different speling of a top name from the late '50s. I really don't like it - besides having it frequently misspelled, it totally gives away my age or adds a few years.

Boys names were usually one of the following: John, James/Jim, William/Bill, Scott, Michael, Brian, Edward/Ed, Steven/Stephen, Jeff, Robert, Mark or David. There was very little variety.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I saw the list of baby names linked somewhere.

The only "conventional" names that have remained strong contenders have been Michael, and to some extent William. I think Robert fell out of the top 5 during the 70s or 80s.

Every new baby boy now has a name that starts with a "J": Jacob, Joshua, Jeremiah. We're in the New Millenium, not in the Old Testament.
The mayor of Jersey City is named Jerramiah Healy. His mother apparently had to do the "I'm gonna spell it DIFFERENTLY" thing. Or she just couldn't spell. Who knows.

One of my coworkers had a son in August, and he named his son Robert. It was nice to hear a normal classic name. And my sister's fiance, whose name is William, has a son who is William III and that son just had a baby boy today. They named him Liam. They weren't going for the "IV", but kept a form of the name.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VistaCat View Post
I was born in '63 and every other girl in my grade was named Lisa. We also had lots of girls named Karen, Diane, Laura, Linda, Lori/Laurie, Christina, Mary, Susan, Elizabeth/Liz/Beth and Sharon. After the 70's - you really never hear of a girl born being named one of those names (maybe the exception is Christina). My name is a different speling of a top name from the late '50s. I really don't like it - besides having it frequently misspelled, it totally gives away my age or adds a few years.

Boys names were usually one of the following: John, James/Jim, William/Bill, Scott, Michael, Brian, Edward/Ed, Steven/Stephen, Jeff, Robert, Mark or David. There was very little variety.
Ha, mine is one of those names. Born in 1958.

I remember in first grade I had TWO Eugenes in my class, and I thought it was such an odd name and here there were two of them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting