Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 01:35 AM

328 posts, read 997,153 times

Advertisements

Do you have children with talents that are completely different than your own and the child's other parent? Like for example if neither of you can carry a tune but your child is a singing phenom? Also if you were never particularly athletic is it possible to have an athletic kid? I wonder if this is possible?

Did you steer your children's interests at all with things you thought they might be good at? Such as if you are fast do you encourage your children to play sports where speed is the most important? And say if you are really bad at playing an instrument would you encourage your kids in something else rather than music?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 05:48 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling View Post
Do you have children with talents that are completely different than your own and the child's other parent? Like for example if neither of you can carry a tune but your child is a singing phenom? Also if you were never particularly athletic is it possible to have an athletic kid? I wonder if this is possible?
Sure it's possible!
Both of our kids are quite musical - play instruments and sing (son all-state, daughter studied voice at Eastman while becoming an engineer at the UofR).
They also are very good at speeches/talking eloquently in front of groups.
That's just two of the things they do that DH and I can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling View Post
Did you steer your children's interests at all with things you thought they might be good at?
No. We let them follow THEIR interests. If they excelled, fine. If they did not, at least they tried.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:10 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,846 times
I can't sing "Happy Birthday." My oldest dd has a lovely voice. She's performed in community theater musicals, sung solos at school concerts, and won local talent competitions.

I have no idea where she gets it from. My dh and I both love music and she's been exposed to it since she was in my womb, but she's never had voice or instrumental lessons.

My two-year-old can't sing songs yet, but when we're in the car she'll match her pitch to whatever song is playing and hum along. She also has a great sense of rhythm. She's been snapping her fingers to music since before she turned one and she can beat out melodies on her toy drums.

I have no sense of rhythm whatsoever.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:23 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
My daughter has her own talents that we don't have, and we had some as kids that she doesn't have. What I find is that kids want to persue things they are good at (for the most part). We exposed my daughter to all the things kids do (sports,dance gym, theather,...) There are some things she stopped doing and other things she pursued. The area she has the most talent in we pay the most money for. What is hard as a parent in when you see that your kid has great potential in somthing, but THEY have no interest in it. For example, dd can be a great swimmmer, but has no interest in being on a swim team, only "free swim" for her these days.

On the otherhand she wants to do gymnastics, but costs have gone up ($700+ for 1x per week for a semester) She is built like a long drink of water, so no potential for many yrs doing gym. We told her we would have to find a cheaper place or we can't do it.
We spend the bulk of our money on her true passion, dance, which she has the talent for, the desire to do and the body to do it, for awhile at least. Sorry for the long responsel To sum it up, if it's affordable let them try everything, but at some point you will ahve to pick and choose where you put your money.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:00 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,693 times
My dd is NOTHING like me. I am more of an introvert. As a child, I was painfully shy and quiet. My kid is never quiet. She talks to complete strangers. She loves to perform. She tried to dance before she could even walk, and she's been dancing ever since. She dances on stages, sings in front of audiences, with no stage fright whatsoever, while I'm the one a nervous wreck just watching her. She wants to dance and act in plays and be on TV, all things I could never picture myself doing in a million years. I encourage her dance class particularly, because I feel she has real talent dancing, but I let her try different things including soccer, karate, swimming. Dance is the only thing she's done consistently and year round though.

She's also very smart, but THAT came from me!

Last edited by AnnaNomus; 04-11-2012 at 09:33 AM..

Old 04-11-2012, 11:09 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
Well we adopted our kids so genetics definitely come into play. DH and I are creative types, he's a creative director and I'm a freelance writer. Our daughter fits into that really well, she's super artsy but also dances well and DH and I uh don't . Our son is the poster child for the strength of genetics, he loves math (math!) and spends his time building intricate lego designs that are beyond me. He's 5.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:20 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I once worked with a young man in Special Education, he was pretty challenging. But one day, I was at work, feeling pretty bad about something, but still working, teaching...he was so incredibly intuitive, he came over to me, and asked me how I was feeling, that he felt like something was wrong. This was amazing, he was 14 years old...how many 14 year old boys are like that? I was really floored. He would someday make an awesome psychologist, or counselor. I told him that...and I hope someday, he will do something like that...he has a gift. Truly gifted to be that in touch with other people's emotions...and I was hiding things pretty well, no one else noticed I was "off" that day...

Old 04-11-2012, 12:19 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
My son is very artistic, and I don't have a creative bone in my body.

I have one son who is quite athletic so far, so putting him in sports was an easy choice. The other one's talents (the artistic one) are harder to pin down. We've tried art classes, music classes, scouts, tumbling, and sports. With some things, we lead the way, with others, they pick the activity. We never make them do anything they don't want to. Skiing is the only thing we chose because of our own likes. It is something we can do as a family.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:22 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
My youngest daughter turned out to be an incredible artist who went on to study and now has her own studio. She's won prizes and awards through the years. She started out doing graphic comic-book type art and is now into surreal paintings which she's sold in both original and print. She's also branched into designing and selling jewelry. I always hated arts and crafts, and the only "drawing" I did was nasty pictures of teachers in school. The oldest daughter has a whole food business, with two locations, and is doing very well. She is very knowledgeable about health foods, supplements and vegetarian eating. Me, I love my meat, alcoholic beverages, sugar, and caffeine.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:37 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
My youngest plays the piano very well. She's been performing since she was 6. She's also the only person in this family who can actually carry a tune. While her talent doesn't fit with the rest of us, we know where it comes from. I understand my paternal grandfather could play anything he heard on the piano (couldn't read music) and played very well. Interestingly, dd has his ears. I wonder if the ears go with the musical ability? My nick is for her. I play a little but I'm not very good at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting