Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:01 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,967,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Not true. The charge of statutory rape means a person over the age of consent had sexual contact with a person under the age of consent. Parental approval does not negate the charges.
Either way in North Carolina age of consent is 16, so if she is turning 16 soon then it doesn't matter, plus as someone else stated NC also has a law that states if the age gap is less than 4 years its not statutory rape. As soon as this girl turns 16 it doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 08:04 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,891,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Either way in North Carolina age of consent is 16, so if she is turning 16 soon then it doesn't matter, plus as someone else stated NC also has a law that states if the age gap is less than 4 years its not statutory rape. As soon as this girl turns 16 it doesn't matter.
I think you missed my point, which is that just because a parent consents that does not mean the young man cannot be arrested. If a person over the age of consent has sexual contact with a person under the age of consent it is a crime, even if the minor' mother approves.

Every state has different age of consent laws. I don't know most of them.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:17 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,661,459 times
Quote:
I think you missed my point, which is that just because a parent consents that does not mean the young man cannot be arrested. If a person over the age of consent has sexual contact with a person under the age of consent it is a crime, even if the minor' mother approves.

Though to be fair, someone would have to turn the 18 year old in, and if the girls mom isn't worried and likes the boy, this isn't likely to happen.

Besides which, the kid is still in high school for another year. High schooler's who are 18 frequently date other high schooler's who haven't yet turned 18.

Without an irate parent objecting to it, most of these kinds of situations never get reported, and rightfully so.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:

I didn't miss your point. I got what you were saying. I was just telling you it didn't matter because it was already discussed what the states laws were and that they were within the law right now since he isn't 18 and then he's fine again once she turns 16.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:33 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,643,670 times
This situation is not going to end well...but I have a feeling that this was a problem that was 18 years in the making...hopefully your son will come through it without a criminal record or a baby!!

Old 04-12-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
This situation is not going to end well...but I have a feeling that this was a problem that was 18 years in the making...hopefully your son will come through it without a criminal record or a baby!!
We've been through the criminal part already, so we know the answer to that, he has no car to see her, she's in another state, by the time she is 16 it won't matter anyways.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:23 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,971,265 times
Quote:

She didn't miss the point. The OP's son has done nothing criminal in North Carolina. The ONLY way charges could be brought would be in the new state IF he is breaking the law there.

Nice that everyone has turned this into a thread full of misinformation about about statutory rape and suggestions on how to evict one's son. Very helpful.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:13 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,661,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
She didn't miss the point. The OP's son has done nothing criminal in North Carolina. The ONLY way charges could be brought would be in the new state IF he is breaking the law there.

Nice that everyone has turned this into a thread full of misinformation about about statutory rape and suggestions on how to evict one's son. Very helpful.
Well, not everyone , though it certainly did veer off the more pressing problem of how to motivate and mentor this young man!

Old 04-12-2012, 10:44 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,910,553 times
One thing that I think happens with unmotivated kids is a lack of encouragement. Does he feel like he is smart and capable of accomplishing what he wants? Typically a lack of motivation stems from self esteem isssues, which could be another reason for having a 15 year old girlfriend...

The last thing this kid needs are extra rules, BUT at the same time he shouldn't be given a free for all. He doesn't have a job, which means he isn't paying for anything on his own which means he doesn't deserve freedom. Help him get on his own by being self sufficient, not be imposing rules.

Oh, and I will stress it again, give him encouragement. Whether he admits it to you or not, that's where his problems are coming from.

That being said, a mechanic is a good job and he can really make a lot of money doing it.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, not everyone , though it certainly did veer off the more pressing problem of how to motivate and mentor this young man!
Let me first start off by saying that there is nothing wrong with the OP's son.
Now before you light your torches and sharpen your pitch forks let me state by saying he is just like the rest of the people his age. They are lost and directionless and some have an idea of what they want to do but don't know how to go about it. Its a tough time in someones life. So this young man shouldn't be treated like something is wrong with him.

Anytime any teen or adult child veers away from how they should be parents get so defensive and offended that their teen or young adult do this, and they forget, no matter what age you are, when you encounter a new phase in your life you need some direction and guidance. Suuuuuuuuure you can do it all on your own and learn the hard way but it takes a village to raise a child and it takes society helping each other out to not go extinct or kill each other.

Don't treat him like a child. That is the last thing you want to do, is start imposing all these child like rules on him, it isn't going to make him start acting any older or taking any more responsibility.

Do treat him like an adult. Let him know he is free to come and go as he pleases and you will stay out of his "business" or however you want to put it and not poke into what he is doing in his social life or whatnot but make it clear with this freedom comes a lot of responsibility.

Don't bombard him with chores because you feel like now he is an adult he needs to do more.

Do set down clear and concise expectations when it comes to cleanliness. His room, his bathroom, pick up after himself in common rooms, maybe throw in a couple chores like trash and mowing the lawn every other sunday.

Don't go crazy with setting down a lot of expectations. You want him to get an education and start getting on track with his life. How he goes about it is his business, as long as he is going about it.

Do make it mandatory that if he wants to live at home then he has to stay in school and get a part time job, doing some he likes.

If you want him to act like an adult and start getting his crap together, giving him the rules he had as a child isn't going to get him there.
Let him know he's free to come and go as he pleases, but if it causes a disturbance you'll put a stop to it.

And please please please do not do what my mom did to me when it came to college, she did nothing.
I didn't know how to do anything, no one helped me through at all, if I had had more guidance in the whole college bit then I would probably have gotten further by now.

Of course he doesn't know how he is going to pay for college, he's never been through this before.
Guide him, teach him, show him what is supposed to be done and give him a hand.
Everyone thinks since we're(young adults) are 18+ that we should be able to do this on our own. My age needs our parents at this time now more than we ever did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting