Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 06:50 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,649,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
You mean throwing him over the edge and seeing if he comes back up isnt the right way to do it? Thats what my mom did....
Heh that's pretty much how I learned too, once I was ready to learn how to do it on my own. It started with me being an infant and mom and dad floating me over the water in their arms so my toes would splash the surface.

But once I was old enough to stand in the shallow end (when I was like - three), over the edge I went!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 07:14 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,911,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Heh that's pretty much how I learned too, once I was ready to learn how to do it on my own. It started with me being an infant and mom and dad floating me over the water in their arms so my toes would splash the surface.

But once I was old enough to stand in the shallow end (when I was like - three), over the edge I went!
I did it to myself - I always wanted to do what my older sister was doing, so one summer she was in the 'deep end' (5 feet) and so I jumped in and swam to her. I was 3.

My kids were afraid of the water, even though I was a strong swimmer and dh swam before he could walk (he grew up in Hawaii), so we worked with them for years before they would even consider swim lessons. They were 6 and 8 the summer they finally relaxed enough to take lessons at the Y.

The Y near us allows them to be 'unsupervised' (only by lifeguards)at age 9, as long as an adult is in the facility, but they have to pass a short swimming test each time we go there, even if I'm in the pool, before they're allowed in.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:49 AM

691 posts, read 2,152,061 times
It ought to be a standard element in every well-baby followup. When the baby is two weeks old and taken back to the doctor for a checkup, they take the kids diaper off and toss him into a livestock tank full of warm water, and then pull him out and hold him by the ankles and let him cough up the water. The baby will have no fear or panic, and automatically knows what to do to avoid drowning. Put any baby animal into water and it will swim. Giraffe, mouse, anything. It's why you have to put rocks in the bag with the kittens.

Simply make sure that every baby acquires his natural sense of comfort in in an aquatic environment at the age of a couple of weeks, and all the swimming lesson courses will be out of business forever, and there will be zero drowning deaths from not knowing how to swim.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:55 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,513,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
It ought to be a standard element in every well-baby followup. When the baby is two weeks old and taken back to the doctor for a checkup, they take the kids diaper off and toss him into a livestock tank full of warm water, and then pull him out and hold him by the ankles and let him cough up the water. The baby will have no fear or panic, and automatically knows what to do to avoid drowning. Put any baby animal into water and it will swim. Giraffe, mouse, anything. It's why you have to put rocks in the bag with the kittens.

Simply make sure that every baby acquires his natural sense of comfort in in an aquatic environment at the age of a couple of weeks, and all the swimming lesson courses will be out of business forever, and there will be zero drowning deaths from not knowing how to swim.
Keeping it classy! You just can't make this stuff up.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:08 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,020,063 times
Quote:
Put any baby animal into water and it will swim.
Not true.

Let's start with one of our favorite water creatures, the river otter. (Babies aren't strong enough to swim at two weeks. Mom begins swimming lessons when they are about two months old.)

I'll not get into what I think of tossing a two week old infant into a livestock tank.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Not true.

Let's start with one of our favorite water creatures, the river otter. (Babies aren't strong enough to swim at two weeks. Mom begins swimming lessons when they are about two months old.)

I'll not get into what I think of tossing a two week old infant into a livestock tank.
Baby animals have a natural reflex to keep their heads above water and not take in any water, even if they don't yet have the motor control to be competent swimmers. Since babies, including humans, will reflexively protect themselves from drowning, the purpose of the early exposure is to acclimate them to immersion before they rationalize a fear of water, which must then be overcome by "swimming lessons".

Old 06-19-2012, 05:30 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,566,646 times
Quote:
Baby animals have a natural reflex to keep their heads above water and not take in any water, even if they don't yet have the motor control to be competent swimmers. Since babies, including humans, will reflexively protect themselves from drowning, the purpose of the early exposure is to acclimate them to immersion before they rationalize a fear of water, which must then be overcome by "swimming lessons".
Acclimation to water does not teach a person to swim. A drowning person will reflexively do everything to keep his head above water, as you said. That will not save him. A baby might be fairly buoyant due to a higher fat ratio, but children and adults will have a more difficult time. Besides, common reasons for adult drowning are fatigue and distress, and even competent swimmers can drown.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Not true.

Technically correct,perhaps, but misleading in the context of my remarks:

"Young otters swim naturally, but the mother must coax them into the water for their first swim."

North American River Otter Fact Sheet - Woodland Park Zoo Seattle WA

Just as human babies can swim naturally, but their mother must coax them into the water for their first swim.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,020,063 times
Quote:
Just as human babies can swim naturally, but their mother must coax them into the water for their first swim.
Really?

I've been around water my whole life and have yet to see one human baby who can swim naturally.

I've edited the joke out of my post. The idea of throwing a baby into the water (or in your words, toss into a livestock tank full of warm water) and saying it can swim is so irresponsible I can barely see straight. It takes a lot to make me loose my sense of humor but..... SMDH.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 06-19-2012 at 08:24 PM..

Old 06-19-2012, 09:28 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,781,546 times
Quote:
Really?

I've been around water my whole life and have yet to see one human baby who can swim naturally.

I've edited the joke out of my post. The idea of throwing a baby into the water (or in your words, toss into a livestock tank full of warm water) and saying it can swim is so irresponsible I can barely see straight. It takes a lot to make me loose my sense of humor but..... SMDH.
Is it true that babies are born with the ability to swim and naturally know to hold their breath? | BabyCenter

Quote:
Babies have a pair of reflexes that can make them appear to be good swimmers: the dive reflex and the swimming reflex.
This does not mean they can swim, but it does mean that they can learn more than we give them credit for.

Quote:
Swedish researchers studying the dive reflex in 21 infants between 4 to 12 months old found that none of them inhaled water or choked during "diving" (being pulled underwater). They also noted that the babies didn't seem apprehensive about the next dive. In fact, some seemed eager to dive again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting