U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 11:53 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,692,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
I am sooo sorry, 3, my God...that's tough. God bless you for surviving that (a stillborn) because I can't even imagine having been further along. I know people who have gone through that and I can't even imagine what they went through...I am so very sorry. We are going to try again within the next year I think (I'm scared though).

Thank you, my family is great, for the most part, although did you ever hear the saying "you can't pick your family"...we've got some of those thrown in there too...I guess everyone's family has some of those.
Thanks yes it was rough, but I had my other kids to think of so I couldnt fall completely apart. I would love a big family, mine are so far apart and not really into that, I have always been envious of Italian families, they may be crazy but they love ya, I do have some weird one also though!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2006, 03:10 PM

421 posts, read 337,784 times
Default Children

CHILDREN

1. You spend the first two years of their life
teaching them to walk and talk. Then you spend
the next sixteen telling them to sit down and shut up.

2. Grandchildren are God's reward
for not killing your own children.

3. Mothers of teens now know why
some animals eat their young.

4. Children seldom misquote you.

In fact,
they usually repeat word for word
what you shouldn't have said.

5. The main purpose of holding children's parties
is to remind yourself that there are children
more awful than your own.

6. We childproofed our homes,
but they are still getting in.

ADVICE FOR THE DAY:

Be nice to your kids.
They will choose your
nursing home one day.

AND FINALLY:

IF YOU HAVE A LOT OF TENSION
AND YOU GET A HEADACHE,
DO WHAT IT SAYS
ON THE ASPIRIN BOTTLE:

"TAKE TWO ASPIRIN"
AND "KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN!!!!! "

Old 09-24-2006, 03:22 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,692,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINBOWWAVES View Post
CHILDREN

In fact,

ADVICE FOR THE DAY:

Be nice to your kids.
They will choose your
nursing home one day.

AND FINALLY:

AND YOU GET A HEADACHE,
DO WHAT IT SAYS
ON THE ASPIRIN BOTTLE:

"TAKE TWO ASPIRIN"

Thats great, loved it!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2006, 04:08 PM

2,098 posts, read 5,782,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINBOWWAVES View Post
CHILDREN

In fact,

ADVICE FOR THE DAY:

Be nice to your kids.
They will choose your
nursing home one day.

AND FINALLY:

AND YOU GET A HEADACHE,
DO WHAT IT SAYS
ON THE ASPIRIN BOTTLE:

"TAKE TWO ASPIRIN"
Those are simply awesome sentiments! (and true)

Old 09-24-2006, 06:07 PM

183 posts, read 1,139,438 times
Pixieshmoo,

Sorry for your lost. I had a miscarriage 1 1/2 yrs. before we had our last son. We were going to name him Michael Stephen. When I became pregnant again we decided to name him Stephen Michael. You and your husband will have a healthy happy baby again.

Old 09-24-2006, 07:16 PM

Thank you...I do believe we will too.

Old 09-24-2006, 07:29 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,082,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Thank you...I do believe we will too.
My step-daughter had three boys. They wanted to try one more time for a little girl. She got pregnant twice, miscarried twice, (after she could already feel the babies moving), and then, got pregnant once more, even though she was very frightened about it. On May 25, 2005, she brought into this world a beautiful little girl. She's a walking, talking little dynamo. Spoiled rotten and loved to pieces by everyone in the family! So, hang in there, honey. Sounds like you and your husband have alot of love to give. You'll have your chance.

Old 09-24-2006, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
My step-daughter had three boys. They wanted to try one more time for a little girl. She got pregnant twice, miscarried twice, (after she could already feel the babies moving), and then, got pregnant once more, even though she was very frightened about it. On May 25, 2005, she brought into this world a beautiful little girl. She's a walking, talking little dynamo. Spoiled rotten and loved to pieces by everyone in the family! So, hang in there, honey. Sounds like you and your husband have alot of love to give. You'll have your chance.
Thank you....you're all making me cry! (In a good way, don't worry). Ya know, some of you on here have had nicer things to say to me (and each other) regarding some of our unfortunate situations, then my own in-laws had to say to me (actually only two of them said they were sorry and neither was my husband's mother...she just asked if we were alright). So when I say thank you to you guys, I sincerely mean it. Thank you.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:03 PM

2,814 posts, read 11,893,647 times
Default ScrantonWilkesBarre

That made me choke up with sadness. You know, the timing of that cellphone call was an Act of God I think..He intervened at just the right minute....just at the point when everything converged in your mind and you felt utterly hopeless and despondent, but before you took an action that you couldn't reverse. (just an fyi...nothing against you...but people who commit suicide by jumping into traffic, shooting themselves or hanging themselves at home, etc. REALLY **** ME OFF. It's so selfish! They don't think of the trauma they're inflicting on those who find them who have to live with the images for the rest of their lives or have a person they loved rip him or herself away from them, forever casting a shadow, or that their actions might result in the deaths or injuries of others (jumping into traffic,etc.).
But if it'll make you feel better, I was a regular, but bookish, little boy. Too intellectual for my dad who jumped from job to job. My real dad thought he'd make a "man" out of me by tying me to him with a rope so I couldn't get away from him, making me put on boxing gloves which he had on too, and then forcing me to box him-, making me walk three miles to school after having had the flu (several times) when I still had lung congestion so badly that I nearly passed out from lack of air at even the slightest exertion, etc. He thought I was too interested in books and learning and not enough in sports. So when he found me sneaking a book outside at about age 10 (he would lock me out of the house so "I'd be forced to go play"), he beat the crap out of me. You might guess I don't like him very much. But I had to live with him when my parents divorced when I was 13 and my twin sister went with my mom. My mom never said anything bad about him in front of me, but I could tell she didn't like the man he was. She tried hard to appear neutral so as not to influence me. However, when I was 17, I was working at a fancy French restaurant and the crews in fine restaurants tend to be bohemian, usually a bit ecentric, pretty intellectual. One of them was a really tall guy named John who was flamboyantly gay and a hilarious man. He invited the crew to his apartment one Saturday night after we'd finished up at the restaurant and a couple of the people were smoking pot (this was 1980). Doorbell rings, my dad stormed in, found me, place goes silent, he grabbed me by the ear and literally dragged me out of that house talking about the "f a g s " and "drunkies". Well...guess what..? I came home one night from my girlfriend's house and it must have been around 11pm. I tiptoed into the house because I didn't want to disturb my dad. I noticed noise from his cracked bedroom door, stepped up to talk with him, then heard another voice. It was John from the restaurant. He and my ultra macho dad were in bed together. I was so freakin' shocked. I think my ears begin to ring and buzz, my heart fell to my knees, and I began to shake. They didn't see me, so I closed his door back to where it was very quietly and slowly and I backed up and very quietly went to my room and closed the door. I went to bed and lay in the darkness numb and cold with my mind just a blank. I have never mentioned this to my dad, but the hypocrasy of his treatment of me with the man crap I had to endure growing up and his comments that I'd be a "f a g" if I didn't stop my book reading, etc. really struck me. I joined the Navy to get away. The Navy was truly a blessing for me. He who told me I'd be a nobody and projected his personal issues on me is now on SSN in rural Arkansas and I live on a country estate that's paid for with no debt and money in the bank and am 16 months into my "sabbatical" after having climbed the corporate ladder of the world's second largest bank. The irony is telling. Funny thing is, is that I never, never told anyone about this. But now at 43, my mom was here at my house in Missouri (she and I get along so great!!!) and we were sitting on lawn chairs with lethally strong martinis, both feeling no pain, and we talked about all that, the divorce, my real dad, his idiosynchrasies, etc.(my mom still feels guilty about that and feels she let me down no matter what I say to the contrary). And I told my mom...hey, there's something about him I never told anyone about. She said, I bet I know what it is. I told her what had happened and she said. "Yep". Then we both started laughing so hard we were literally rolling on the grass! You don't have to like your parents if they are bent on damaging you. You also owe them nothing if their poison is irreversible. You can choose your friends and family and live a perfectly happy life. I'm blessed in my mom and step-dad, my sister, my extended family, my friends, etc. I survived my dad. You'll do just fine

Last edited by MoMark; 09-24-2006 at 09:27 PM..

Old 09-25-2006, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I joined the Navy to get away. The Navy was truly a blessing for me. He who told me I'd be a nobody and projected his personal issues on me is now on SSN in rural Arkansas and I live on a country estate that's paid for with no debt and money in the bank and am 16 months into my "sabbatical" after having climbed the corporate ladder of the world's second largest bank. The irony is telling. Funny thing is, is that I never, never told anyone about this. But now at 43, my mom was here at my house in Missouri (she and I get along so great!!!) and we were sitting on lawn chairs with lethally strong martinis, both feeling no pain, and we talked about all that, the divorce, my real dad, his idiosynchrasies, etc.(my mom still feels guilty about that and feels she let me down no matter what I say to the contrary). And I told my mom...hey, there's something about him I never told anyone about. She said, I bet I know what it is. I told her what had happened and she said. "Yep". Then we both started laughing so hard we were literally rolling on the grass! You don't have to like your parents if they are bent on damaging you. You also owe them nothing if their poison is irreversible. You can choose your friends and family and live a perfectly happy life. I'm blessed in my mom and step-dad, my sister, my extended family, my friends, etc. I survived my dad. You'll do just fine
Well, I think you are a wonderful example of making something of yourself regardless of what was positioned against you! And of course, I already told you in another post that your mom is awesome! Too many people who don't make something of themselves tend to blame their parents for how they turned out. I'm not saying that parents (or lack of support from parents) doesn't effect something like, however, there comes a time in all our lives that we need to "do" for ourselves and not make excuses. My stepdaughter's mother is horrible, to say the least. Everyone else, grandparents, me, my husband, aunts, all raise this kid while her mother "lives" her own life. Because she had kids (yes, more than one from different men) at 18, she feels she didn't get to be young and party. So she's doing it now and her children are the ones suffering. If you say something to her, her answer is "I grew up without a mom because she decided to leave me and my sister with our father and move to greece and I've turned out fine". Or her excuse is that maybe if she had a mother in her life while growing up, she'd be different. Well, that only goes so far with me. My theory is that if you know what kind of life you had because you were without a mother, then you would do more to show your children what life should be like with a mother. You would work harder at being a good mother to your children. Her excuse making should've stopped when she gave birth. That's just my opinion however. Anyway, rising above someone who tries to keep you down is not easy but it is rewarding...I commend you for that...and

Scranton, you can rise above it too. I'm sure it's hard but always remember what YOU want out of life, not what they want. You're old enough to do for yourself and sometimes unfortunately, we have to stop worrying about other people and put ourselves first a bit. If you aren't happy then that reflects off of you. When you do what you need to do to make yourself, and you first, happy, then you will 1. Be happy (obviously) 2. Enhance the happiness and lives of all of the people in your life and 3. Will have enough confidence that no one else's words or actions can bring you down. Whatever you need to do to achieve that, is what you need to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting