Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 08:52 AM

13,419 posts, read 9,948,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Where I come from a "pop in the mouth" would loosen teeth.

And I've never seen the finger flicking described. Totally unknown to me.
Me either. But I just did it to myself.

Ouch, that hurts. Must really hurt a little kid. Not to mention embarrass and humiliate them. Not my cup of tea, for sure.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:00 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Me either. But I just did it to myself.

Ouch, that hurts. Must really hurt a little kid. Not to mention embarrass and humiliate them. Not my cup of tea, for sure.

And when your child is throwing a tantrum and calls you a bad name in front of the entire grocery store is that not embarrassing? Humiliating?Whats the difference?

Old 04-20-2012, 09:10 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
And when your child is throwing a tantrum and calls you a bad name in front of the entire grocery store is that not embarrassing? Humiliating?Whats the difference?
May I suggest that allowing yourself to become embarrassed by the behavior of a small child is a bit immature. Seeking to "get back at" a child is one of the worst motivator for "discipline" in my opinion.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:10 AM

13,419 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
The difference is I'm an adult, and can handle my feelings. I don't get humiliated by a little kid doing what little kids do. I take charge of the situation and remove the child from the store. I don't feel the need to pop said child in the mouth, especially not in public. Now that I'd feel humiliated and embarrassed about, personally.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:12 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
The difference is that you are the grown-up in the situation. The child is unable to control their emotion at that point, but you should.

I'm sorry if you feel attacked on this issue, but popping/smacking/slapping/flicking a child on the face is going to elicit strong reactions from most people.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
The difference is I'm an adult, and can handle my feelings. I don't get humiliated by a little kid doing what little kids do. I take charge of the situation and remove the child from the store. I don't feel the need to pop said child in the mouth, especially not in public. Now that I'd feel humiliated and embarrassed about, personally.
Yes. This.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
The difference is that you are the grown-up in the situation. The child is unable to control their emotion at that point, but you should.

I'm sorry if you feel attacked on this issue, but popping/smacking/slapping/flicking a child on the face is going to elicit strong reactions from most people.
Some of us are even restraining our very strong reactions. Or maybe just one of us.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:14 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,781,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
my point was it was over kill for the infraction if you can even call it that.
The little boy and girl i used to nanny for did that same thing from time to time but i never hit them. I just moved the book further away and drew their attention to a picture on the page and then kept reading or would simply move the book a little bit out of reach and kept reading while i move the book, ignoring it all together.

Imho that was no reason to smack the childs hand.
Now if the kid was about to stick his hand somewhere his hand might get physically damaged or seriously hurt then maybe could i see slapping his hand.

There was no warning either. No "mommy is trying to read that page to you ill let you turn it in a minute" just straight to a slap.

Yes, there was.
Quote:
“At 2:03:31, the mother says, ‘No, Justin,’ and continues reading,” according to a transcription describing the incident. “Then at 2:03:34 she smacks him, and says, ‘No, Justin. If you want me to read, quit messing with the pages. Cause you’re moving it while I’m reading.’”[LEFT]
Read more: The First Real-Time Study of Parents Spanking Their Kids | Healthland | TIME.com
[/LEFT]
And this was all done by audio recording. They're judging how and where the kids were touched by sound alone. There's no way of knowing the facts of the situation without seeing it.

This study set out to point to a hot button issue, how parents discipline their children, and garner outrage for the sake of his 15 minutes of fame.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:34 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Where I come from a "pop in the mouth" would loosen teeth.

And I've never seen the finger flicking described. Totally unknown to me.
"Popping" is quite common here. Maybe it's a regional thing. But I think OhioChic is speaking hypothetically, since her child is still an infant. I truly hope, when her baby is older, she thinks about the BEST way to handle a situation, not the easiest or most convienient.

I think the effect of popping or flicking a kid depends on that child. My aunt used to thump my cousin all the time on the head, using the "popping" motion, making a circle with her forefinger and thumb and thumping his head. It didn't faze him one bit, I don't even think he felt it. Another situation I described earlier in this thread, where a child's mother thumped her in the same way at her birthday party, that child was clearly humiliated. Just because you aren't whipping your child like a slave or breaking their bones doesn't mean you aren't doing them harm. If you have a kid like my cousin, you could probably pop him all day long and he would laugh and keep going. If you have a kid like my dd's friend who got popped on her birthday, you have done that child real harm. Why be so quick to pick what method to use if your kid has a fit or calls you names? You just might have a little girl like mine, who will break out sobbing with, "that really hurt my feelings, I'm so sad and disappointed in your behavior." Why decide, at 6-7 months, that you're going to "pop" your child in the mouth when she missteps?

Old 04-20-2012, 09:36 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

I honestly dont feel attacked im just very very very confused on how a little pop in the mouth is considered the same as a man hitting a woman or throwing alcohol in a childs face and eyes. Im lost. Maybe ill just let it go because obviously Im either not getting my point across or everyone really thinks the 3 are on the same level. Who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting