Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2012, 01:06 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,371,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Its pointless, they can't accept that spanking is an affective form of discipline, no matter what you tell them.
No, we've accepted that it's affective:
Quote:
af·fec·tive (-fktv)
adj. Psychology Influenced by or resulting from the emotions.
We just don't believe that spanking in and of itself is effective:
Quote:
ef·fec·tive (-fktv) adj.
Having an intended or expected effect.
Unless, of course, the parent's intention is to make their child more agressive?

Study: Spanking as Discipline Increases Aggression in Children Who Already Have a Genetic Predisposition | TheBlaze.com
Spanking can make young children aggressive, study says - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

or more prone to depression, anxiety, feelings of despair, and drug and alcohol use?

Study: Spanking lowers IQ, fosters aggression, depression | Deseret News

Old 04-25-2012, 01:17 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,066,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
No, we've accepted that it's affective:

We just don't believe that spanking in and of itself is effective:

Unless, of course, the parent's intention is to make their child more agressive?

Study: Spanking as Discipline Increases Aggression in Children Who Already Have a Genetic Predisposition | TheBlaze.com
Spanking can make young children aggressive, study says - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

or more prone to depression, anxiety, feelings of despair, and drug and alcohol use?

Study: Spanking lowers IQ, fosters aggression, depression | Deseret News
You know whats funny about that study, I was spanked, yet I don't drink, smoke, have a degree in accounting, and have never been depressed. Yet my sister in law, who wasn't spanked, basically has all those issues you just listed. (I love using smilies too)

Old 04-25-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
You know whats funny about that study, I was spanked, yet I don't drink, smoke, have a degree in accounting, and have never been depressed. Yet my sister in law, who wasn't spanked, basically has all those issues you just listed. (I love using smilies too)
Yet you don't know that anecdotal evidence cannot compare to scientific

(three studies, btw, the lot of them comprising no percentage of studies done on the subject all total)

Old 04-25-2012, 01:31 PM

3,983 posts, read 6,552,912 times
I was spanked and I don't do any of those things either. Anyone else?

I didn't read all of these posts, but it's interesting how people who "don't" think they are somehow more intelligent or better parents than those who "do". I give my kids a swat across the butt periodically. We are not huge spankers, but if you want to judge me for swatting my kids, you really need more to do with your own lives and leave mine alone.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post

I didn't read all of these posts, but it's interesting how people who "don't" think they are somehow more intelligent or better parents than those who "do". I give my kids a swat across the butt periodically. We are not huge spankers, but if you want to judge me for swatting my kids, you really need more to do with your own lives and leave mine alone.
that is the reason why I said its useless to argue with these people. They think they are better parents than you because they don't spank.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:

We could trade our personal stories back and forth all day long (My observation of me and about 5 cousins is that the more often a kid is spanked, the more they end up misbehaving later and the lower their IQ). We should all keep in mind a bias that can affect us all: We tend to see ourselves in a more positive light than others. And so, "I turned out fine!" is something people from both sides of the fence are surely going to contribute.

I just googled:

study shows spanking good

and I found one study in the first three pages (referenced in early January, 2010; that was my way of concluding it's all the same study) that came up several times to claim positive effects of spanking. Everything else (massive documentation and research, compared to one study!) presented evidence that spanking is harmful.

So even if we were going to speculate that there's some sort of conspiracy here, where is the research to counter said conspiracy? Because any expert will tell you, 1 study = 0 studies, until said study has been replicated...

Been over two years now...

Last edited by Vic 2.0; 04-25-2012 at 02:07 PM..

Old 04-25-2012, 01:49 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,676,605 times
Quote:

Me!!

Old 04-25-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
We could trade our personal stories back and forth all day long (My observation of me and about 5 cousins is that the more often a kid is spanked, the more they end up misbehaving later and the lower their IQ). We should all keep in mind a bias that can affect us all: We tend to see ourselves in a more positive light than others. And so, "I turned out fine!" is something people from both sides of the fence are surely going to contribute.

I just googled:

study shows spanking good

and I found one study in the first three pages (referenced in early January, 2010; that was my way of concluding it's all the same study) that came up several times to claim positive effects of spanking. Everything else (massive documentation and research, compared to one study!) presented evidence that spanking is harmful.

So even if we were going to speculate that there's some sort of conspiracy here, where is the research to counter said conspiracy? Because any expert will tell you, 1 study = 0 studies, until said study has been replicated...

Been over two years now...
You know what, we can all give examples of people we know who were spanked and not spanked and it will produce the same result, spanking works for some kids and it doesn't work other kids. My wife was beaten by her dad constantly, she is a harvard graduate, and one of nicest people you will ever meet. I have cousins who were spanked, and they still are some of the biggest train wrecks you will ever meet. Spanking is just simply a tool in the tool box.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:09 PM

Why won't you at least address any of the scientific evidence against it?

Old 04-25-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Why won't you at least address any of the scientific evidence against it?
Because no matter how much evidence you produce, there are too many people who I know that were spanked that turned out to be solid citizens. some of them are smartest people I know. Some of them wouldn't hurt a fly and as far as I know are not alcoholics or drug addicts. I was spanked, my parents, were, wife, friends, work friends, and 90% of them are great people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.