Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 03:59 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times

Advertisements

The First Real-Time Study of Parents Spanking Their Kids | Healthland | TIME.com

Quote:
Holden’s recordings provide rich context for what causes a parent to spank. The data are particularly unsettling because many of the infractions that led a mom to hit involve petty misbehavior, like turning the page in a book before it was time. While listening to his mother read The Tortoise and the Hare, for example, one boy began touching the pages, garnering a slap.

Read more: The First Real-Time Study of Parents Spanking Their Kids | Healthland | TIME.com

Last edited by JustJulia; 04-19-2012 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: quote too long

Old 04-17-2012, 04:37 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
*pops popcorn and sits back for the show *

Old 04-17-2012, 06:22 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
That damn child...touching the pages.
Shoulda been knocked through a wall.
These damn hooligan childen these days, they all need to be beat with a car bumper.
if that mom doesny nip it in the bud now he'll just keep turning those pages and wind up in jail.

/sarcasm

Old 04-17-2012, 07:02 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
That damn child...touching the pages.
Shoulda been knocked through a wall.
These damn hooligan childen these days, they all need to be beat with a car bumper.
if that mom doesny nip it in the bud now he'll just keep turning those pages and wind up in jail.

/sarcasm
Let me just say that a slap on the hand as was described is a far cry from what most people consider spanking.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:13 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,043 times
Quote:
Children who are spanked occasionally are not thought to be significantly impacted later on, but those who are spanked regularly are more likely to have behavior problems that may escalate into antisocial behavior

Make sense to me. Also, I think culture (home vs background) affects how we respond to obedience.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:21 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
I'm pretty sure no one needs a study to know this. Pretty sure anyway. I'm grabbing the popcorn as well, sitting back with Lucidkitty and watching this explode. People who spank don't care about studies or else I'm pretty sure they wouldn't. I don't know maybe it's just me. I'm positive there are studies that show spanking makes better kids somewhere, I'm waiting to see it pop up.

This topic is a chicken or the egg topic. Asking someone if they spank their kids and then telling them they are wrong is like asking someone if they believe in God and then telling them he doesn't exist. It goes nowhere, trust me on this one.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:23 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
The study was not set up to study spanking at all, but it turns out they have interesting video of spanking incidents.

I do think it is interesting since parents always claim that spanking is a *last resort* that in this study at least many of the kids were spanked for inconsequential *misbehaviors.*

Old 04-17-2012, 11:22 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The study was not set up to study spanking at all, but it turns out they have interesting video of spanking incidents.

I do think it is interesting since parents always claim that spanking is a *last resort* that in this study at least many of the kids were spanked for inconsequential *misbehaviors.*
Most of the time, not always but the people I know personally who spank, swat,smack and spank, and whatever they call it often, often enough for me to see it when I see them.

I have a friend I've know before we had kids. She ended up being a spanker, I'm not. When ever I'd go over to her house she would spank or smack at least 2 or 3 times during my visit. I finally told her to not do that when I'm around. She said why? I said because all I want to do is smack you after I watch it. She laughed it off like I was kidding but she stopped while I was there. I think she knew I would do it. And I would. My friends know it brings out the beast in me when I see large people spanking small people. I don't hide it well, and I won't. Take me or leave me.

I can't watch it and so if someone insists on doing it while I'm there I'd rather just not be there. They would probably rather I leave as well. Different strokes. Things change with kids so I'm ok with it. People parent different, I don't have to agree with it though and I don't. I'm just as vocal about it as they are about it. Sometimes it doesn't end so well.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:09 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Let me just say that a slap on the hand as was described is a far cry from what most people consider spanking.
my point was it was over kill for the infraction if you can even call it that.
The little boy and girl i used to nanny for did that same thing from time to time but i never hit them. I just moved the book further away and drew their attention to a picture on the page and then kept reading or would simply move the book a little bit out of reach and kept reading while i move the book, ignoring it all together.

Imho that was no reason to smack the childs hand.
Now if the kid was about to stick his hand somewhere his hand might get physically damaged or seriously hurt then maybe could i see slapping his hand.

There was no warning either. No "mommy is trying to read that page to you ill let you turn it in a minute" just straight to a slap.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:24 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Most of the time, not always but the people I know personally who spank, swat,smack and spank, and whatever they call it often, often enough for me to see it when I see them.

I have a friend I've know before we had kids. She ended up being a spanker, I'm not. When ever I'd go over to her house she would spank or smack at least 2 or 3 times during my visit. I finally told her to not do that when I'm around. She said why? I said because all I want to do is smack you after I watch it. She laughed it off like I was kidding but she stopped while I was there. I think she knew I would do it. And I would. My friends know it brings out the beast in me when I see large people spanking small people. I don't hide it well, and I won't. Take me or leave me.

I can't watch it and so if someone insists on doing it while I'm there I'd rather just not be there. They would probably rather I leave as well. Different strokes. Things change with kids so I'm ok with it. People parent different, I don't have to agree with it though and I don't. I'm just as vocal about it as they are about it. Sometimes it doesn't end so well.
I'm waiting for the spankers to come out and claim they only ever did it once and it stopped the childs behavior for good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting