Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 09:18 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,157,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Well, here I am. You would have to frequent the NE PA sub forum to see exactly what I am talking about. When I say unknown I mean not having the right last name. If you look at many of the teachers, politicians, etc here, the majority either have "those" names or are related to those that do.

I promise I am not exaggerating! LOL I am embarrassed to write the above because I realize how it must sound to someone not from the area. But it's all true.
We don't have it as bad as that, but I know exactly what you mean about having THAT last name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 09:22 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,900,631 times
Most parents are too beaten down to even think of caring about the schools rules - that's why they have so much power. There is not much that parents can do to affect change - it's a corrupt system - that benefits corporations, certainly not children and not parents or families.

Can you home school?

Old 04-21-2012, 09:27 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,836,530 times
Quote:
I know. It does stink because we live in my hometown, but I think we'll have to make roots somewhere else. Our area, NE PA, is infamous for it's corruption. I'm not sure how much change would be effected by a parents group. Many administrators and even teachers see parents as the enemy. Even when you walk into the school to speak with a teacher or the principal, the secretaries are rude and nosy. "Why do you want to speak with Mr. Smith?" or "You're gonna have to wait til they have a minute to speak with you."

It's a very messed up system here.
Run for the school board. If you get elected, you will have a say in the school rules.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:29 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,801,420 times
What does the school do if the child shows up not in dress code? Our school has a dress code but people send their kids in whatever they want and then say they can't afford anything different. I see little girls going to school in boxers and tank tops.

In our district, kids in middle school or high school are not allowed to wear shorts or skorts (a skirt with shorts built in underneath) at all. Summer weather here is usually from May until the end of October, the buses are often not air conditioned, the schools are not kept very cool. It's really not fair that they can't wear shorts. It's stupid too, just set a rule on the length of shorts, like a couple inches above the knee and no longer than knee length (to avoid the crappy gangster capri pants look where the shorts end about six inches above the ankle). And then they allow skirts...

About assigned seating in the cafeteria and having to wait to speak to the principal, that's how it is here too, that's not so strange. Unless you're really, really furious and then the principal will usually find a minute for you (so you don't go home again and email the school board and superintendant).

Old 04-21-2012, 09:32 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,836,530 times
Quote:
Public schools are getting more and more arbitrary in their rule making. My son's district has a dress code. They are not allowed to wear argyle. Or checked prints. Or shirts with logos bigger than 2x2. They also are not allowed to wear shorts before April 1st. I'm getting sick of the schools, frankly.

They have assigned seating at the cafeteria now. They can't just decide to sit with their friends. They are told who they must sit with and speak to.

So many silly little rules. Meanwhile, the school has been in failing status for the last three years.

Before anyone asks, yes, we are planning on moving out of the district as soon as it is feasible.
Our dress code here is stricter than that - no logos except the school logo, polo shirts in solid colors, tan or navy shorts or pants or jumpers.

Of course, they don't have any rules against shorts here any time since in Texas, the weather is hot even in the winter sometimes.

Our kids sit with their class in the cafeteria so assigned tables, but not assigned seats.

I don't find the rules to be onerous though. The kids don't seem to mind the uniforms although my grandkids dad, my son, doesn't like them.

I have heard of schools that have no talking rules in the cafeteria, which would really annoy me.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:40 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,461,411 times
Quote:
Well, here I am. You would have to frequent the NE PA sub forum to see exactly what I am talking about. When I say unknown I mean not having the right last name. If you look at many of the teachers, politicians, etc here, the majority either have "those" names or are related to those that do.

I promise I am not exaggerating! LOL I am embarrassed to write the above because I realize how it must sound to someone not from the area. But it's all true.
I know exactly what you are talking about. Stupid rules; not so great schools; corruption - nepotism, etc.

We moved to a much larger school district with a whole lot more diversity. I'm sure some of that stuff still goes on - but it's far less noticeable.

My son is getting a better education and they don't waste their time on such ridiculous items as you mentioned.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:32 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,482,605 times
My nieces' middle school has a dress code, where they have to wear the school polo and black jeans. The administration decided after the new school year had started to ban "skinny jeans." My sister had already purchased skinny jeans for my nieces (who really are very skinny) and was not about to go out and buy an all new school wardrobe. She finally had to talk to the principal and let him know unless he was paying for new clothes, her daughters would be wearing what they had.

AND they had to wear a belt, needed or not, with the shirt tucked in. Some people don't need a belt, so I don't get that part. I really do think some schools feel like the more silly rules they have, the more it makes them appear to be on top of things.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:33 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,249,275 times
Quote:
We've tried but unfortunately, for whatever ungodly reason, the voters of our fair city will NOT vote for unknowns. It's the same people, with the same last names ALWAYS getting in.

It really feels like you are running into a brick wall with people.
Thats why you need to get a slate of them and go door to door. The problem is people need to know WHY this person is better then the other. Set up community meetings, go door to with grievances, have the candidates do it. I know around here the people doing the school board never do that and the same jokers keep getting in. Also getting the local teachers union behind you is a good way to way to get candidates in you want.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:22 PM

7,971 posts, read 7,328,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
What does the school do if the child shows up not in dress code? Our school has a dress code but people send their kids in whatever they want and then say they can't afford anything different. I see little girls going to school in boxers and tank tops.

In our district, kids in middle school or high school are not allowed to wear shorts or skorts (a skirt with shorts built in underneath) at all. Summer weather here is usually from May until the end of October, the buses are often not air conditioned, the schools are not kept very cool. It's really not fair that they can't wear shorts. It's stupid too, just set a rule on the length of shorts, like a couple inches above the knee and no longer than knee length (to avoid the crappy gangster capri pants look where the shorts end about six inches above the ankle). And then they allow skirts...

About assigned seating in the cafeteria and having to wait to speak to the principal, that's how it is here too, that's not so strange. Unless you're really, really furious and then the principal will usually find a minute for you (so you don't go home again and email the school board and superintendant).

At our school, the subject of limits on the length of girls' skirts or shorts was totally abandoned. I heard they had a lot of parental retorts to inappropriate dress complaints that were basically "Well, why are you looking at my daughter's skirt, you pervert?"

Old 04-21-2012, 04:12 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,599,432 times
Quote:
Public schools are getting more and more arbitrary in their rule making. My son's district has a dress code. They are not allowed to wear argyle. Or checked prints. Or shirts with logos bigger than 2x2. They also are not allowed to wear shorts before April 1st. I'm getting sick of the schools, frankly.

They have assigned seating at the cafeteria now. They can't just decide to sit with their friends. They are told who they must sit with and speak to.

So many silly little rules. Meanwhile, the school has been in failing status for the last three years.

Before anyone asks, yes, we are planning on moving out of the district as soon as it is feasible.
The cafeteria rules I understand because so many kids spend their entire time chatting away with friends that they don't eat and it is far more important that they eat than spend time visiting.

Logos can be a problem depending on what's popular...so that would be no biggie to me.

However, not allowing argyle or checked prints is a new one...what is the reasoning behind that? Has it become some sort of gang symbol or bully target?

I also wonder, is this something presented and approved then written into the dress code for the entire district or is it something the admin at the school is just telling the kids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting