Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 10:06 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times

Advertisements

What age group is the OP referring to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 11:02 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
We have near the same rules. Make sure you check out the new digs before you go or you may find you moved to the same thing.
Either get active with others to oppose it like others have said or pull them out and homeschool or virtual school like some have mentioned.
Otherwise, just deal. More rules I hear are coming down the pike. Yippie
It's all in the name of making it a healthier environment. lol

Old 04-21-2012, 11:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
it is indeed sad. instead of supporting the teachers in any attempt be it ever so pathetic to assert discipline in the schools, the parents fight them tooth and nail.
k12 is a gangsta failure.
the kids suffer for our folly.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:39 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
The cafeteria rules I understand because so many kids spend their entire time chatting away with friends that they don't eat and it is far more important that they eat than spend time visiting.

Logos can be a problem depending on what's popular...so that would be no biggie to me.

However, not allowing argyle or checked prints is a new one...what is the reasoning behind that? Has it become some sort of gang symbol or bully target?

I also wonder, is this something presented and approved then written into the dress code for the entire district or is it something the admin at the school is just telling the kids?
But isn't that up to the kids to decide? Do they really have to be nannied so much? If they keep getting hungry because they are talking too much, then they'll learn to eat instead of chat so much. And to be quite honest, that was NEVER an issue for us growing up.

It is a written, approved dress code.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
What age group is the OP referring to?
For everything but cafeteria rules, it is district-wide. Kindergarten to 12th grade. The cafeteria rules are in our school, I'm not sure about the rest of the district.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
it is indeed sad. instead of supporting the teachers in any attempt be it ever so pathetic to assert discipline in the schools, the parents fight them tooth and nail.

I support the teachers and their classroom rules. I believe that it is their domain and their rules.

HOWEVER, I do not agree with arbitrary rules largely made up by those who are NOT teachers - those who have never been teachers or lack a degree in education or psychology.

Please re-read my posts Huckleberry. You are seeing things that are not there.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:27 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
This has nothing to do with teachers. Nothing.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:29 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Seriously, nowadays, about the only time the kids get to socialize is lunchtime. I think they should be able to sit with friends and talk while they eat. One thing though that has made a big difference in lots of schools is changing the order of lunch and recess to recess then lunch. If the kids get to play first, they eat better and they are usually in a better mood for their after lunch academics. The research is out there, but some admins have not figured it out.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:21 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Those are really strange rules. They might as well just require a uniform. It would be easier to shop. I understand your pain about trying to move to a different district. I don't use the word hate often, but I hate our school board and their agenda. It has always been a priority to keep the kids in one area, and at the same school if possible, but part of me really wants to move across the county line and into a different district. Do you know what the point of the dress code is? Hard to imagine why argyle is banned.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:40 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,757,722 times
I think the dress code rules are insane. I have had experience with the same, but I fought back and won and now my kids wear what is appropriate for the dress code. Let me explain...

My kids are currently in 2nd and 5th grade. They have been in the same school since kindergarten. The dress code when my 11 year old began kindergarten was polo shirt or button down shirt with collar, or they could wear a nice sweater, or t shirt/sweatshirt/sweatpants with the school logo and any dress or cargo pants other than jeans. No logos other than the school logo. So, my 11 year old is a bit small for his age, so we would buy him shirts that would fit him for at least two years, they never looked sloppy at all and that my younger son would hopefully be able to wear as he grew. So right before he started thrid grade, we went out and bought him and his little brother all new polo shirts, solids and stripes, no logos, all collared and very nice. My husband picked up my kids from school one day and my then third grader had a note that says if he wears a striped shirt again, he will get an "infraction and be sent to the principal's office". He was made to go to the nurse's office that day and change his shirt into a solid one that god knows who else had worn, and at the end of the day he was made to change back into the shirt he wore to school. Needless to say, I raised hell. I contacted the superintendent and told him the way I see some of those kids go into that school wearing dirty sweatpants and shirts and looking like they haven't brushed their hair for three days and how dare they make my child change his shirt and have him ridiculed for wearing a striped shirt? But its okay to wear sweats because they have the school logo on them? I ask you, which looks nicer and more appropriate for school? I copied the pricipal on the email and she was completely on our side in this. And actually so was the superintendent. The principal explained to him that my kids always came to school looking nice and clean and she was not even aware of the incident. They both agreed there was no problem with the striped polo shirts.

When did the rules change for the shirts? They sent something home with the new dress code a month AFTER school started. I had already purchased clothes for them and was not buying all new clothes unless they footed the bill and took time out of their busy schedules to go buy them for me. I cannot afford to purchase new clothes for them every year and I told them my younger son would be wearing his brother's shirts in a couple of years when they fit him if they were still in good condition, and he does, and I have never had another problem with the shirts. Now lots of kids are wearing them. Solids with long sleeves for the winter months are impossible to find anywhere.

Some rules are just so stupid. I feel as long as kids are dressed nicely and neatly and are clean, who cares if there are stripes, dots, whatever on their shirts. I think even jeans are okay as long as they fit properly. A hairbrush and a washcloth can go a long way.

I would go to the superintendent if I were you. Worked for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting