Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following most closely characterizes your situation?
I am a SAHM and I regularly cook from scratch 21 30.88%
I am a SAHM and I do not regularly cook from scratch 7 10.29%
I work full-time and I cook from scratch 18 26.47%
I work full-time and I do not cook from scratch 10 14.71%
I work part-time and I regularly cook from scratch 10 14.71%
I work part-time and I do not cook from scratch 2 2.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 08:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
I do the best I can. I love my family just as much on a day that I order a pizza as the day that I make a pot roast. My husband loves me if I make grilled cheese sandwiches or meatloaf for dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 04:58 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
I do the best I can.
THAT is what we all strive for. That is the correct measure IMO.
Quote:
I love my family just as much on a day that I order a pizza as the day that I make a pot roast. My husband loves me if I make grilled cheese sandwiches or meatloaf for dinner. And I always buy the petite baby carrots so I don't have to peel or cut them. So yes I spend his paycheck on selfish things for myself like precut carrots and even instant oatmeal
Huh. I am pretty sure my husband loves me more when I make swedish meatballs.

Oh, oh one thing about instant oatmeal... Did you know you can do steel cut over night in the crock pot? A little healthier and no harder.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:21 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
THAT is what we all strive for. That is the correct measure IMO.

Huh. I am pretty sure my husband loves me more when I make swedish meatballs.

Oh, oh one thing about instant oatmeal... Did you know you can do steel cut over night in the crock pot? A little healthier and no harder.
Where can you buy steel cut oats?

Old 04-26-2012, 06:45 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
They are cheapest at Trader Joe's, if you live near one. Around here they are $4 to $5 at grocery stores, and $3 at TJ's.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:10 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
I've even found them at Walmart.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:28 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
In our Hannaford it is in the health food area. Bob's Red Mill or some such is the brand here. If you find organic oatmeal, quinoa... you may find it.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:52 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,434 times
I think this is just another way to make others feel superior or not....

I am a SAHM but I do not cook fresh,homeade ,meals EVERY night... Most of the time , yes, but there is always that 1 night duringnthe week that is crazy for us and we get a pizza or subs...
I do buy those baby precut carrots, instant oatmeal and frozen Eggos!
But, I never buy jarred sauce , I make my own, I never make instant mashed potatos and I buy all fresh vegetables, except for those baby carrots!

Old 04-26-2012, 01:20 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,906 times
I SAH. I bake all of our bread. I make many meals from scratch. We only eat out if we are traveling. Every Friday night is pizza/calzone and beer night at home. I make the pizza/calzone myself from scratch. I don't have enough room in the house/garage to homebrew or I would do that.

I do the following shortcuts:

Instant mashed potatoes
Instant oatmeal
Jarred alfredo sauce
Packaged Hollandaise sauce
Frozen apple pie

Old 04-26-2012, 01:49 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I live in an area that has some very affluent neighborhoods, and where we lived before we moved here did too. I am familiar with the type of family where not only does the mom not work outside the home ... she doesn't seem to work much in it, either. Kids in daycare all day while Mom goes to pilates and the salon, stay-at-home moms with nannies and housekeepers, that kind of thing. My older daughter has a few friends with home lives like that, because the rich kids go to her high school. I'm not surprised at the assertion that some of those moms don't cook, or that they spend a lot of money on takeout and ready-made meals.

I'm not disputing that such moms (or dads, though I don't know any who fit the description) live like that. We don't. We wouldn't even if we were wealthy. But it sounds like the OP is asking readers to explain or defend that lifestyle, and I don't think many (or any) of us are in a position to do that.
It is funny how different areas can be.., I live in what is considered one ofnthe more affluent neighborhoods... Many,many dr's , surgeons, lawyers,etc..both men & women. My children are friends with many of these families as am I, and I know of only 2 families who have nannies and the mom is a sahp. No one spends their days at the salon ( except for their normal times...) . Most of these families are juggling the same things that everyone is and still making dinner when they come home. Now, I am not sure that all their meals are homeade, but I know they are not always eating out either.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:50 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,108 times
All this talk of instant potatoes makes my heart hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting