Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 06:23 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
There is noone more sanctimonious than a dry drunk. So....Europeans drink wine like water. Is that a whole continent of alcoholics?
Yeah, okay. I think it's perfectly fine to think you can willpower your way out of being an alcoholic. Go ahead, try it.

As far a Europeans go, they don't drink wine like water. And I don't care who drinks, and who doesn't. I have no problem serving alcohol at any party.

What I do care about, is when 24 year old people with the life experience of a gnat, proclaim that even though alcholism runs in both sides of their family, that it won't happen to them, because by gee, they're just oh too clever for that.

I guess I missed the announcement that txtqueen has found the cure for alcoholism - which is obviously Just Don't Fall For That Weakminded Bull****. Who knew?

Old 04-28-2012, 06:54 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
There is noone more sanctimonious than a dry drunk. So....Europeans drink wine like water. Is that a whole continent of alcoholics?
I hate to break it to you, but yes, statistically speaking many European countries have much higher rates of alcoholism than the US.

WHO | World Health Organization

Old 04-28-2012, 07:37 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yeah, okay. I think it's perfectly fine to think you can willpower your way out of being an alcoholic. Go ahead, try it.

As far a Europeans go, they don't drink wine like water. And I don't care who drinks, and who doesn't. I have no problem serving alcohol at any party.

What I do care about, is when 24 year old people with the life experience of a gnat, proclaim that even though alcholism runs in both sides of their family, that it won't happen to them, because by gee, they're just oh too clever for that.

I guess I missed the announcement that txtqueen has found the cure for alcoholism - which is obviously Just Don't Fall For That Weakminded Bull****. Who knew?
Righteous.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:37 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Totally untrue.

Misinformed to the zillionth degree. Sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about. I truly, truly hope no one comes to you for advice on this subject.
I agree. It is quite the opposite. My BIL has chosen not to drink because his parents are both alcoholics. A very smart decision IMO.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:41 PM

869 posts, read 1,494,507 times
[quote=PippySkiddles;24070607
it really IS your business. As it is the business of any adult there. OMG--jello shots to teens............speechless!!![/quote]

No hate to tell you but if a childs parent is present and aware it is most certainly not my business to tell them they cant drink.

We dont allow anyone who does not have parents present to drink. If you let your 17-20 year old drink when you are the DD for them, that is your business not mine. We dont let anyone drive who is impaired. I dont host any parties like these at my home and thus I am not legally responsibility. I dont encourage any teens to drink and I dont make or give any drinks to any teens. I dont allow them to drink the drinks I brought to the party. Therefore I have no moral responsibility. I even give dirty looks to the younger end of the spectrum because I dont approve. But its not my business.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
I didn't think it was sanctimonious at all.

Someone said something that several of us vehemently disagreed with. And have you spent time in Europe? It's not been my experience that they drink wine like water. They DO drink San Pelegrino like water however.

BTW: I agree with every.single.word FinsterRufus has said on this thread.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
MAYBE - we should just pour the kids a big vodka and orange juice? Let them get a "glow on" also?

I am sure if it were not tradition to drink at weddings ...no one would miss it. But it is tradition and people drink whether they need to or not..to relax and have a good time- Kids are already relaxed and not stressed out or as up tight as adults who need a drink.....so all I am saying is what's wrong with being 100 per cent there for the kids instead of being half there or half in the bag.

I am not being a prude..or saying hide the use of booze from children..that is not the point. When being the master of the celebration at a kids party...you duty is to make sure they have a good time...that day is special for them...it is NOT your day...a wedding IS your day...
How does the host having a beer keep the kids from having a good time, and who says the host is even the one having a drink?

Old 04-28-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Coming from a family of alcoholics, I've never drank in my entrie life. i also refuse to allow it in my house. Some one who bases their attendance at parties on the presence/absence of alcohol needs to evaluate their friendship/relationship with the host(s). Anyone who can't have a good time without alcohol and/or feels the need to sneak alcohol into a dry party should seriously consider professional help.
Maybe I missed something, but I never read that anyone provides alcohol for adult guests because they are afraid people won't show up otherwise.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I hate to break it to you, but yes, statistically speaking many European countries have much higher rates of alcoholism than the US.

WHO | World Health Organization
Yes! I really wish people would get over this "urban legend" that there is little alcholism in Europe.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:40 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Probably because pleasure seeking adults accept the selfishness of being drunk and having fun....and being selfish around your adult peers is fair game...but it is not fair to children..
Why do you equate having a drink with being drunk?

Quote:
MAYBE - we should just pour the kids a big vodka and orange juice? Let them get a "glow on" also?

I am sure if it were not tradition to drink at weddings ...no one would miss it. But it is tradition and people drink whether they need to or not..to relax and have a good time- Kids are already relaxed and not stressed out or as up tight as adults who need a drink.....so all I am saying is what's wrong with being 100 per cent there for the kids instead of being half there or half in the bag.

I am not being a prude..or saying hide the use of booze from children..that is not the point. When being the master of the celebration at a kids party...you duty is to make sure they have a good time...that day is special for them...it is NOT your day...a wedding IS your day...
Why would I serve a minor child alcohol?

I've been to weddings that were not my own and drank. What's your point?

I think people are almost brainwashed to think alcohol and children together are the devil. It's silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting