Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 06:44 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
There is no single event in childhood that is more unhealthy (by its very design) than a kid's birthday party. There is also no better opportunity for adults who drink to do so in moderation (read: situational strength) and for children to see adults drinking responsibly in turn.
1. Halloween.

2. That's just bizarre. Then again, maybe you are still joking.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:45 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
Quote:
Whoa! Yes, was just kidding, trying to be obnoxious by encouraging you to remind everyone of your stance.

I look at Coca-cola the way many people here seem to be looking at alcohol. I won't allow it at any of my son's birthday parties. Other soda and sweets should be consumed in moderation. What's interesting is that so many people here are literally saying, "At an event where the children are typically overdoing it on the sweets and the caffeine, the adults should not be drinking alcohol, even in moderation." There is no single event in childhood that is more unhealthy (by its very design) than a kid's birthday party. There is also no better opportunity for adults who drink to do so in moderation (read: situational strength) and for children to see adults drinking responsibly in turn.
Wait...isn't soda, cake, and candy what birthdays are all about?

Old 05-06-2012, 06:48 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,486,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetree View Post
You don't have to be an alcoholic to have had to many but....
That's nice...I'm happy for you and your perfect family! Regardless...no alcohol should be at a kids party, IMO.
I don't have to have a perfect family not to have people who would get drunk and ruin my kid's birthday party. Every family has problems, but alcoholism isn't one of ours. You made a statement that "every family has someone like that in it," which is flat out not true. It may be true for you, but it's not for "everyone." So it sounds like YOU shouldn't serve alcohol at your kid's party, but it would not be a problem for me and a lot of other people.

And anyone who is not an alcoholic knows how many "too many" is and knows how to put it down before they get to that point.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:49 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
1. Halloween.
On Halloween, kids usually have to at least walk around to get their candy (same for Easter). And even if they don't, cake and soda are not necessarily any part of the tradition. Birthday parties tend to include more than just candy (and cake can be more unhealthy than candy in some respects) and don't typically require any sort of exercise before the pigging out can begin.

Quote:
2. That's just bizarre. Then again, maybe you are still joking.
Bizarre or no, it's the truth. At other types of parties where there aren't as many young children around, there's less reason (seemingly, at least) to be responsible in your consumption. The situation you're in plays a role in your behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Wait...isn't soda, cake, and candy what birthdays are all about?
It's certainly the tradition. Most people are fine with it. But only because it's the norm, not because it's somehow better for the kids than seeing a grownup drinking a beer (it isn't).

Last edited by Vic 2.0; 05-06-2012 at 07:03 PM..

Old 05-06-2012, 06:53 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
Quote:
On Halloween, kids usually have to at least walk around to get their candy (same for Easter). And even if they don't, cake and soda are not necessarily any part of the tradition.

Bizarre or no, it's the truth. At other types of parties where there aren't as many young children around, there's less reason (seemingly, at least) to be responsible in your consumption. The situation you're in plays a role in your behavior.

It's certainly the tradition. Most people are fine with it. But only because it's the norm, not because it's somehow better for the kids than seeing a grownup drinking a beer (it isn't).
But if birthday parties and rare occasions is really the only time the child gets those things then what's wrong with that.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
But if birthday parties and rare occasions is really the only time the child gets those things then what's wrong with that.
Not saying it's wrong. Just that it seems contradictory to let a kid pig out on cake, ice cream, candy, and soda (no matter how rarely) and lecture a grown man/woman for having a couple of beers at the same event. Shows how much more important tradition is... than what's best for the kids

Old 05-06-2012, 10:43 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
On Halloween, kids usually have to at least walk around to get their candy (same for Easter). And even if they don't, cake and soda are not necessarily any part of the tradition. Birthday parties tend to include more than just candy (and cake can be more unhealthy than candy in some respects) and don't typically require any sort of exercise before the pigging out can begin.

I guess we'll have to disagree about which event has more junk food. You'll also have to elaborate on how it's the "truth" that there's "no better opportunity" for people to drink in moderation (no better opportunity than a kid's party? really?) or to show kids how to drink responsibly. I don't see a birthday party as a teaching opportunity where people I don't know well show my kids how to have a good time. I don't really want them growing up thinking that a party has to have alcohol in it. If their parties always do, how will they know that? My family almost never drank when I was a kid. My dad and his brothers had a glass of wine every blue moon or so, and one uncle sometimes had a beer. I did not see my mother have alcohol ever till I was 30 or so. I didn't see drinking as something normal that I would eventually do. I didn't need to have moderate drinking modeled for me.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:51 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
maybe if you did you wouldn't be so paranoid that 3 drops of alcohol turns people into party wrecking zombies that eat babies and puke on the paramedics.............

Old 05-07-2012, 12:43 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
maybe if you did you wouldn't be so paranoid that 3 drops of alcohol turns people into party wrecking zombies that eat babies and puke on the paramedics.............
Really?
Why are people who only drink a few social beers every once in a great while so defensive about drinking at a kids party?

A little honesty and this thread would make more sense, imo.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:50 AM

Quote:
You'll also have to elaborate on how it's the "truth" that there's "no better opportunity" for people to drink in moderation (no better opportunity than a kid's party? really?) or to show kids how to drink responsibly.
In regards to social norms, of course there are "better" (or at least equally good) opportunities to drink in moderation. But there's no better opportunity to influence the adults to do so where kids can see it. Being around that many kids is going to make most rational-minded adults drink responsibly. Any adult who isn't phased by having all those little eyes watching should be detected as an a****** before even being invited to the party, really. And it being a better opportunity to get adults drinking responsibly rather than drinking with little or no situational hindrances = it being a better opportunity to show kids how drinking should be handled. It's arguable, I suppose, if drinking at your house when there's no social event taking place is any better. I mean, there's not even a concept of "drinking socially" at this point. Dad's just drinking beer like it's water.

Quote:
I don't see a birthday party as a teaching opportunity where people I don't know well show my kids how to have a good time. I don't really want them growing up thinking that a party has to have alcohol in it. If their parties always do, how will they know that?
A good point. But you also shouldn't want them to associate drinking at parties with being wild. If the first alcohol-having party they go to is in college, that's very likely. They could come to see alcohol as a beverage primarily with which to get drunk. And couldn't you say the same for soda and junk food, once more? When's the last birthday party you went to that mainly served orange juice or water and a salad? I just think there is a prejudice against alcohol where there need not be, and that in turn makes it seem newer and more exciting to kids as they get closer to the age where they can buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting