Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 03:17 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
i guess charlie sheens been going to their parties.
:d

Old 04-29-2012, 03:25 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
There is something seriously wrong if you equate providing alcoholic beverages to getting falling-down-drunk. I'm starting to wonder who some of you hang out with, that you can't fathom having a beer with your burger while the kids play in the bounce house in the back yard.
I said that I didn't know the parents of my kids' friends enough to know how they would act, if that's one of the comments you are reacting to. But then again my husband doesn't drink and I almost never do, so we only have alcohol in the house if I buy it for that reason. When my in-laws come to visit, we have wine in the house because a day without wine for them is not possible. But in general, guests get soda or lemonade. I don't think it's important enough to have it on hand for everyday guests, particularly people I don't know well. I don't care what other people choose to do in their own homes, but I know two people who were killed by drunk drivers and I simply choose not to open a party with relative strangers to that possibility. At my son's upcoming party, lemonade will have to do.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:12 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I said that I didn't know the parents of my kids' friends enough to know how they would act, if that's one of the comments you are reacting to. But then again my husband doesn't drink and I almost never do, so we only have alcohol in the house if I buy it for that reason. When my in-laws come to visit, we have wine in the house because a day without wine for them is not possible. But in general, guests get soda or lemonade. I don't think it's important enough to have it on hand for everyday guests, particularly people I don't know well. I don't care what other people choose to do in their own homes, but I know two people who were killed by drunk drivers and I simply choose not to open a party with relative strangers to that possibility. At my son's upcoming party, lemonade will have to do.
I wasn't talking to anyone in particular. I get what you are saying about not knowing people well. I think there is a difference between a party for kids where the parents happen to stay, and a party for your adult friends and their kids. I was thinking generally about the posters who brought up kegs, getting drunk and acting like morons, feeling the need to have alcohol so your friends will come, feeling like alcohol is necessary in order for you to attend, etc. All of that is extreme, and none of it true of any party I've ever been to.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:15 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
I think there is a difference between a party for kids where the parents happen to stay, and a party for your adult friends and their kids.
I absolutely agree with this. I would be unlikely to offer alcohol to a person I didn't know well if they were attending a child's party at my house. Friends, yes. And I am talking one beer or one glass of wine.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:30 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
You know if it such a issue, just load a CamelPak with your favorite beer or wine and stick it in the fridge and take it out right before the party. Voila` you have alcohol to go!

Old 04-29-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I wasn't talking to anyone in particular. I get what you are saying about not knowing people well. I think there is a difference between a party for kids where the parents happen to stay, and a party for your adult friends and their kids. I was thinking generally about the posters who brought up kegs, getting drunk and acting like morons, feeling the need to have alcohol so your friends will come, feeling like alcohol is necessary in order for you to attend, etc. All of that is extreme, and none of it true of any party I've ever been to.
Several years ago, I volunteered to throw a wedding shower for the daughter of my husband's godparents; she is our age and grew up very close to my husband's family. There were a good 40 people invited, both men and women. We lived in a small apartment at the time, so I initially suggested having it at a local nature preserve, which had a cool party area with a large gazebo and plenty of tables, not to mention parking and bathrooms. I thought it was perfect, but we realized that alcohol was prohibited. "Can't we just not drink?" was rejected as a ludicrous idea, and I had to quash suggestions of smuggling it in, because we could be slapped with a hefty ticket and I'd lose the security deposit if we were caught. We had to hold the party at another location. I love my husband's godparents dearly, but yes, there are people out there who cannot fathom or tolerate a few hours without alcohol.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:40 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Several years ago, I volunteered to throw a wedding shower for the daughter of my husband's godparents; she is our age and grew up very close to my husband's family. There were a good 40 people invited, both men and women. We lived in a small apartment at the time, so I initially suggested having it at a local nature preserve, which had a cool party area with a large gazebo and plenty of tables, not to mention parking and bathrooms. I thought it was perfect, but we realized that alcohol was prohibited. "Can't we just not drink?" was rejected as a ludicrous idea, and I had to quash suggestions of smuggling it in, because we could be slapped with a hefty ticket and I'd lose the security deposit if we were caught. We had to hold the party at another location. I love my husband's godparents dearly, but yes, there are people out there who cannot fathom or tolerate a few hours without alcohol.
I don't think it is so much that they CAN'T go without a drink for a few hours because you make it sound like they drink 24/7 but moreso that they wanted the event a certain way. If it has anything to do with a wedding or birthday of mine I sure as hell want to be able to have a few drinks if I wanted to.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:48 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Have you lived in Europe? Have you met Europeans? Most Italians and French (of ages 16 +) have wine on a daily basis. Does that make them alcoholics? Americans seem to have an issue with alcohol that no one else in the world has.
Lol. Define "lived". Stayed in Europe more than a month at a time and had one address? Yes. Met Europeans? Most definitely yes. Having wine on a daily basis and drinking it like water are (to me) two different things.

BTW: I have no problems serving wine to family and friends at a children's birthday party. I have a major problem with people who drink and get smashed. I also have a major problem with people who think they can "will" themselves out of being an alcoholic but that's my own thing. If that's a hang-up of mine, so be it.

And I REALLY have a problem with people who drink and drive. I'm the person who makes sure no one is driving drunk or high. (Though no one in my circle is doing that. I avoid those people with a passion. )

Old 04-29-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I don't think it is so much that they CAN'T go without a drink for a few hours because you make it sound like they drink 24/7 but moreso that they wanted the event a certain way. If it has anything to do with a wedding or birthday of mine I sure as hell want to be able to have a few drinks if I wanted to.
Awesome. Feel free to provide it at your children's birthday parties. As I said, I don't really care what other people choose to do in their own homes.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:20 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
I still say what the kids consume at your average birthday party is more of a concern than whether the adults drink alcohol. The cake, the ice cream, the candy, and the soda. And you know they're not gonna brush their teeth any time soon! How are you gonna worry about what a full-grown adult is drinking while your kid's teeth are just sitting there rotting? I know, you think it's gonna teach your kid to be a drunk... watching grownups drink responsibly. Just like driving defensively teaches them to crash into every car on the highway, yes? U.p.pull...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting