U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 04-30-2012, 05:59 PM

3,768 posts, read 1,786,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Exactly

Not to mention that an ancedote about a wedding reception that had to be moved to an alcohol friendly venue is exactly an argument that people who desire to have drinks at a party or would serve drinks at a party feel that they must have alcohol at the party and couldn't go a few hours without it

I've been to many a wedding reception that didn't have alcohol OR dancing (DH's family is of a religion that doesn't allow it). The events were nice, but very boring - mostly due to the lack of a band or DJ, anyway. My BIL would sometimes smuggle in a flask. At our daughter's wedding years ago, she did not want alcohol served at the reception, but son-in-law overruled her. Half the guests drank and danced, and the other half just sat there (or left after dinner).

I never served alcoholic beverages at my kids' parties, but I did have one after everyone left - before cleaning up the mess.

Unread 04-30-2012, 06:05 PM

8,130 posts, read 8,361,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I've been to many a wedding reception that didn't have alcohol OR dancing (DH's family is of a religion that doesn't allow it). The events were nice, but very boring - mostly due to the lack of a band or DJ, anyway. My BIL would sometimes smuggle in a flask. At our daughter's wedding years ago, she did not want alcohol served at the reception, but son-in-law overruled her. Half the guests drank and danced, and the other half just sat there (or left after dinner).

I never served alcoholic beverages at my kids' parties, but I did have one after everyone left - before cleaning up the mess.
Yeah. I can see how that would be tough to navigate.

There are sometimes going to be cultural, religious and other norms/expectations that need to be juggled and when they conflict is when things can get pretty goofy.

In that scenario you could easily flip what I wrote.

If a group was opposed to such things and that is the expectation of the majority of your guests and you opened up with an open bar and dancing chances are they wouldn't really enjoy themselves and be inclined to stick around.

Same coin - different sides

Unread 04-30-2012, 06:07 PM

26,070 posts, read 19,249,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
hey everyone

look at stan

he's developing his own argument - one that hasn't been said or supported in 19 pages and then calling it sad

I have yet to see the claim made

"I need to have alcohol at any and all functions in order to have a good time"
c
Well, then I guess you can't read and your powers of inference are pathetic.

Unread 04-30-2012, 06:16 PM

8,130 posts, read 8,361,020 times
and yet there was a long line of posters also curious to where this argument that about needing to have alcohol to have a good time exists

it's sad that someone can't make it through a movie without shooting heroine ..... doesn't really add much to this conversation though.........

Unread 04-30-2012, 06:19 PM

14,160 posts, read 7,331,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What kind of sad people have to have alcohol at any and all functions in order to have a good time?

Sad.
Who said that?

Unread 04-30-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I hear you, Stan.
How? No one said it.

Unread 04-30-2012, 06:37 PM

19,805 posts, read 15,834,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
How? No one said it.
I just had this conversation! I said it.

Unread 04-30-2012, 08:05 PM

15,926 posts, read 11,919,981 times
Quote:
I know them very well. They are my in-laws' best friends, and my husband has known them since he was five. My in-laws are the same way, and I could tell many stories. The lot of them are the reason my husband does not drink anymore. They're also the reason he started in the first place.
You know your family better than we do. Perhaps it is the case with them. They are the exception, not the rule, and from what I've read, no one who is posting here feels that way. One certainly couldn't say that everyone who would serve alcohol at a birthday party "can't go without for 2 hours." to say that, even about your family means they have a drink when they wake up, continue through the day and stop when they go to bed. every day. and won't stop for a wedding shower.

It's kind of funny... I have one side of the family who wouldn't have a party w/o alcohol and one side who wouldn't have one with. We just know what to expect when we're with whichever family. No one gets out of control and no one is addicted as far as I know.

Unread 04-30-2012, 08:45 PM

9,527 posts, read 9,512,225 times
Quote:
I hear you, Stan.
Can you point me to the place where ANYONE said that people had to have alcohol to have a good time? A post number is fine.

Unread 05-01-2012, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Can you point me to the place where ANYONE said that people had to have alcohol to have a good time? A post number is fine.
Apparently Julia said it but I missed it. *shrug*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting