U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-01-2012, 10:00 AM

16,590 posts, read 12,910,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I sort of said it on the second page. I know plenty of adults that wouldn't stay at a kids birthday or any other party if alcohol wasn't there. They'd get bored. They often say, aw, I'm just going to drop them off and pick them up, they aren't having anything for the adults here, no alcohol. I can't just sit there for hours.

This thread is sure full of responsible drinkers, I must be the only one who knows some adults that aren't counting the hours between drinks and flushing themselves with water in between.
Where I'm from there are a lot of parents that get a good buzz, and still drive home. They wouldn't spend more than an hour at a kids party that didn't have alcohol. Maybe they feel awkward but whatever the reason it's true in my area.

All of you who drink sound really, really responsible with it. Like perfect drinkers. I almost wonder why you go to all the trouble if you aren't really a drinker and you have to measure out the amount and space it around so that you can drive or act appropriate. Seems exhausting, why not just skip it then?
A lot of the adults who drink I know think they can handle quite a bit more and are fine. I can see they have a good buzz going but they think they are fine. I guess it's the impaired judgement thing, you just think your fine.

In my area you either drink or you don't. Most people don't put so much work into it. Maybe a few but I usually see a lot more going down the pipe than any of you mention. lol Maybe it's my crowd. I should get a new set of friends.

I don't serve it because I don't want the handful that stay into the night buzzed and talking and talking until I fall asleep on the chair waiting for their exit. I don't drink, so I can only take a conversation with another person with a buzz on for so long. They repeat a lot of things. Not to mention the expense.
They'd stay way to long for me if I served it. But, this is personal and some people want them to stay a long time. That's just not me.

Heck if you guys were my friends I'd probably serve it. You'd only have about 2 a piece, not really get buzzed and leave like everyone else. It would only cost me a 12 pack. lol
How can you definitively say that the lack of alcohol is why they would leave??? If it is a party geared at only the kids, then there wouldn't be food for the adults, and adults wouldn't even be expected to stay. Dropping the kids off and coming back later would be appropriate and alcohol or lack of wouldn't have anything to do with it.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:18 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,547,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I've been to many a wedding reception that didn't have alcohol OR dancing (DH's family is of a religion that doesn't allow it). The events were nice, but very boring - mostly due to the lack of a band or DJ, anyway. My BIL would sometimes smuggle in a flask. At our daughter's wedding years ago, she did not want alcohol served at the reception, but son-in-law overruled her. Half the guests drank and danced, and the other half just sat there (or left after dinner).

I never served alcoholic beverages at my kids' parties, but I did have one after everyone left - before cleaning up the mess.
Boring is a state of mind. Since I enjoy conversing with other adults, I don't find it boring.

Bands and dancing are fun and fine, but they aren't the only kind of fun. Also, if the band is too loud, you can't hear people when you want to talk, so I kind of prefer soft music rather than the loud stuff that people play nowadays to dance to.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:52 PM

8,156 posts, read 8,898,479 times
Yep and since there are a few of us zonies on here - it should be well known that the consequences for DUI are very severe and suburban police don't have much else to do

It doesn't take a ton to get brought into the process and the police do take fishing trips just to see what is going on ....... best not to put yourself in a bad situation .... kids or otherwise

I have much better things to do with my time and money then spend it on a DUI offense

It's not exhausting keeping track of time & drinks ....... it generally just takes care of itself as long as you aren't doing shots, downing drinks, etc.

I don't like to constantly drink anything ....... i'm weird in that when I'm eating I don't drink anything (but I can walk and chew gum......)

If I'm at a dinner party for 4-5 hours there is so much time that i'm not drinking anything - doesn't matter what that drink is ....... if in that span I have 3 beers and 2 waters that's a drink an hour and given that i'm 6'5" and a shade north of 200lbs those 3 drinks over that duration with food is going to do nothing to impair me

I do know some people who drink to drink and get going .... that's not me or most of my friends .... my friends who do have such nights either walk to a place or arrange rides

My wife went out last friday and had a ride arranged and we just picked up our car on saturday ...... she will do the same for the friend that grabbed her this weekend

A couple times of year we do beer tastings .... one of the guys will swing by and pick us up to start and then one or two of the wives will pick us up to finish

It's generally pretty easy to not put yourself in a bad situation ... especially for a planned event

Old 05-01-2012, 12:55 PM

8,156 posts, read 8,898,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Boring is a state of mind. Since I enjoy conversing with other adults, I don't find it boring.

Bands and dancing are fun and fine, but they aren't the only kind of fun. Also, if the band is too loud, you can't hear people when you want to talk, so I kind of prefer soft music rather than the loud stuff that people play nowadays to dance to.
Again - so much is going to depend on your audience

I typically don't like wedding receptions ....... I'm not a fan of dancing, the please everyone music that is typically played, the food is usually pretty blah

Aside from being supportive of my friends/family and celebrating their moment there really isn't a whole lot that I enjoy

So I support them, make the best of it as I can and just deal

I could throw a reception that I would personally love - but it would turn off a lot of the other guests

If 80% of the guests want to dance & drink and that is their expectation - then what I enjoy as a guest becomes a bit irrelevant

Old 05-01-2012, 01:21 PM

20,527 posts, read 10,921,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
P.S. Added note, in AZ there isn't the reality of not driving. A car is a must have, so yes, most people drink then drive home. It's not like NYC, it's the desert and the distances between are longer. Not many use a cab either. But, not many think they need a cab unless they are falling down drunk. Being impaired isn't a judgement made unless you can't walk to the car. lol
I hope you're not using that as an excuse because I live a heck of a lot further out in the boonies than you do. No cabs, no buses. It's one of the reasons we make sure no one gets wasted when they come visit us.

And Sheriff Joe WILL put you in a tent, dress you in pink under ware, feed you green bologna and make you pick up trash on the chain gang for a DUI. (Arpaio put Charles Barkley in Tent City for two misdemeanor DUI's for Pete's sake. He's not going to have love in his heart for the average Joe going home drunk from a birthday party.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-01-2012 at 01:35 PM..

Old 05-01-2012, 01:58 PM

5,546 posts, read 2,288,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I hope you're not using that as an excuse because I live a heck of a lot further out in the boonies than you do. No cabs, no buses. It's one of the reasons we make sure no one gets wasted when they come visit us.

And Sheriff Joe WILL put you in a tent, dress you in pink under ware, feed you green bologna and make you pick up trash on the chain gang for a DUI. (Arpaio put Charles Barkley in Tent City for two misdemeanor DUI's for Pete's sake. He's not going to have love in his heart for the average Joe going home drunk from a birthday party.)
Sheriff joe is too busy grandstanding with his 'cold case posse' to do any real criminal work . Mr barkleys BAC was also 2 times the legal limit .

Old 05-01-2012, 02:01 PM

931 posts, read 700,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Why would you have booze at a kids party?
Have you ever been to one?

please God, deaden the pain...

Old 05-01-2012, 02:05 PM

5,546 posts, read 2,288,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post

LOL funny

Old 05-01-2012, 03:19 PM

5,384 posts, read 2,862,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post

So true.
When I was a live in nanny I had to take the kids to Monkey Bizness, its all indoor, bounce house/slide, playground equipment, TONS and TONS of children, it's horrible. Not a birthday party but similar, tons of children yelling and screaming.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:20 PM

5,384 posts, read 2,862,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Sheriff joe is too busy grandstanding with his 'cold case posse' to do any real criminal work . Mr barkleys BAC was also 2 times the legal limit .
Sheriff Joe is probably also pushing 65 and unwilling to retire and asleep next to the police's 13 year old hound dog on the front porch of the police station in a rocking chair with his gun in his hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting