U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-02-2012, 01:42 PM

10,118 posts, read 11,404,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I guess my question is...if I was dropping my child off at a child's birthday party...I pretty much expect that the parents are going to not be drinking alcohol at the party. Looks like that assumption is incorrect. People would be watching my child, after drinking alcohol? In an unfamiliar home? Not liking that much.
Why would the parents be unable to watch your child just because they had a beer, or even two?

Old 05-02-2012, 05:40 PM

5,515 posts, read 3,269,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Why would the parents be unable to watch your child just because they had a beer, or even two?
It's not hard, two beer or a glass of wine and I am still capable of everything I do when I am sober.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:56 PM

5,533 posts, read 2,747,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Alcohol effects: How alcohol affects your judgement - by Patricia King - Helium
Alcohol effects your judgement, you can't judge your capability when you drink, you feel fine. That happens even after one drink. The more you drink the more fine you think you are to some extent.
People just get use to it. It doesn't mean it doesn't affect them. It slows response time as well.
Simply put someone who's had 2 or 3 beers won't be as capable as someone who hasn't. The extent of that depends on the persons metabolism.
It's not like smoking a cigarette, it's a drug like marijuana. It changes you when consumed.
Study: Alcohol 'most harmful drug,' followed by crack and heroin - CNN.com
It's one of the most harmful of all drugs according to some. Why wouldn't someone think twice about leaving their kid with an adult that is drinking while their kid or kids are there?

Some don't mind, and that is their choice. Some would, I can see why.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:57 PM

5,533 posts, read 2,747,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
It's not hard, two beer or a glass of wine and I am still capable of everything I do when I am sober.
Maybe you should test that one. See if after two beers you are the same. Of course you think you are, that is how it makes you feel. You might even feel more capable after two beers, doesn't mean you actually are though.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:05 PM

17,005 posts, read 14,354,759 times
I had 2 glasses of wine last night. Someone call CPS.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:11 PM

7,664 posts, read 9,180,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I guess my question is...if I was dropping my child off at a child's birthday party...I pretty much expect that the parents are going to not be drinking alcohol at the party. Looks like that assumption is incorrect. People would be watching my child, after drinking alcohol? In an unfamiliar home? Not liking that much.
If it was a case of dropping my child off, I would not expect the parents to be drinking. I think most of us are talking about two different scenarios here. When I held a children's only party, there was no alcohol involved. That didn't change, even if the parents opted to stay. They were welcome, but not invited. That was the same regardless if the party was held at my home or offsite.

But, if the party were children and parents, alcohol would be available to those who wanted it, and were of age. Those parties were always held at my home, and included our friends and relatives, as well as their children.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:08 PM

14,521 posts, read 8,829,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Alcohol effects: How alcohol affects your judgement - by Patricia King - Helium
Alcohol effects your judgement, you can't judge your capability when you drink, you feel fine. That happens even after one drink. The more you drink the more fine you think you are to some extent.
People just get use to it. It doesn't mean it doesn't affect them. It slows response time as well.
Simply put someone who's had 2 or 3 beers won't be as capable as someone who hasn't. The extent of that depends on the persons metabolism.
It's not like smoking a cigarette, it's a drug like marijuana. It changes you when consumed.
Study: Alcohol 'most harmful drug,' followed by crack and heroin - CNN.com
It's one of the most harmful of all drugs according to some. Why wouldn't someone think twice about leaving their kid with an adult that is drinking while their kid or kids are there?

Some don't mind, and that is their choice. Some would, I can see why.
Better call CPS - both DH and I had two beers each tonight!

Old 05-02-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Maybe you should test that one. See if after two beers you are the same. Of course you think you are, that is how it makes you feel. You might even feel more capable after two beers, doesn't mean you actually are though.
Omg, you're impossible. I can tell if I am drunk, tipsy or just fine. I can feel when it affects me. Its not like the more beers you have the better you feel, there does come a point in time where you can tell that you aren't capable of ANYTHING.

After two beers, I do not feel intoxicated, I do not feel woozy, drunk, tipsy or anything, I do know that I am SLIGHTLY different but I can talk, walk, do laundry, take a shower, whatever after two beers.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:40 PM

5,926 posts, read 2,357,162 times
Generally, I don't think a couple of beers or glasses of wine are going to significantly change a person's behavior. Not unless they have an exceptionally low tolerance (and I mean even compared to most people who never drink). Like I say, it comes down to knowing the people who are throwing the party. People with low inhibition are not going to get much wilder after one or two light drinks, and you should minimize how much time your kid spends around them regardless of whether alcohol is present. Conversely, people with high inhibition are not going to suddenly get wild after one or two drinks.

I'll even go so far as to suggest that one or two drinks can actually help in managing a kid's birthday party. Some adults tense up and feel too much like they're working at events like these, becoming a buzzkill (if I may) for the whole group, including the kids. And I can already hear the rebuttal ("You shouldn't have to drink to relax!"). But my reply to that would be, you shouldn't discriminate against one method of relaxation without a solid reason.

I see having 2 reasonable alcoholic drinks no more harmful than having 2 Coca-colas... in any way, shape, or form. After all,

"...too much caffeine can make you restless, anxious, and irritable."
Caffeine: MedlinePlus

Couldn't that hinder your social and parenting performance as well?

Old 05-02-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Generally, I don't think a couple of beers or glasses of wine are going to significantly change a person's behavior. Not unless they have an exceptionally low tolerance (and I mean even compared to most people who never drink). Like I say, it comes down to knowing the people who are throwing the party. People with low inhibition are not going to get much wilder after one or two light drinks, and you should minimize how much time your kid spends around them regardless of whether alcohol is present. Conversely, people with high inhibition are not going to suddenly get wild after one or two drinks.

I'll even go so far as to suggest that one or two drinks can actually help in managing a kid's birthday party. Some adults tense up and feel too much like they're working at events like these, becoming a buzzkill (if I may) for the whole group, including the kids. And I can already hear the rebuttal ("You shouldn't have to drink to relax!"). But my reply to that would be, you shouldn't discriminate against one method of relaxation without a solid reason.

I see having 2 reasonable alcoholic drinks no more harmful than having 2 Coca-colas... in any way, shape, or form. After all,

"...too much caffeine can make you restless, anxious, and irritable."
Caffeine: MedlinePlus

Couldn't that hinder your social and parenting performance as well?
Exactly, some people can't relax and what does it matter what they use to do so? Having a drink to relax is no different than taking a prescribed medication for anxiety or whatnot because both have the intent of altering you in a way that relaxes you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting