Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 01:20 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times

Advertisements

Do you serve alcohol at children's birthday parties? Do others around you serve it?

Is it only for the adults, or are children of a certain age welcome to imbibe a drink or two?

Do the adults (or adult males) get drunk?

Old 04-23-2012, 01:27 PM

869 posts, read 1,494,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Do you serve alcohol at children's birthday parties? Do others around you serve it?

Is it only for the adults, or are children of a certain age welcome to imbibe a drink or two?

Do the adults (or adult males) get drunk?
First I need you to elaborate on what you mean by children.

There was alcohol at my baby shower, though I didnt have any. Since then there has not been alcohol at the actual party but it is usually waiting for the family fun (extended family not just me and hubby) after the party. At parties of other family members where it is the 16, 17, 18, 19 year old there is alcohol and sometimes the older ones over 16, will do jello shots or something, though I choose to look the other way as it really isnt my business.

And when there are 15 adults drinking someone usually goes past the line.

Why do you specify adult males?

Old 04-23-2012, 01:29 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
OMG! NO!
If you are talking about regular children's birthday parties, with 5 or 10 preschool or elementary age children playing games', I have never even heard of one where adults would have a drink let alone get drunk. OMG!

However, if you are talking about extended family birthday parties my answer may be a little different. For example, a Sunday afternoon or evening get-together with grandparents, aunts & uncles and perhaps a few cousins. Then it is more of an adult party even if the birthday child has a cake and opens presents. The focus is on the adults and the birthday aspect is just a side point (even if it is billed as "Junior's Birthday Party"). In that case my family may drink wine or beer but no one ever gets drunk.

Correction: I guess that if the host is my brother he may get drunk, but then again, he may get drunk even if there isn't a party at his house.

Also, it is possible that a college age cousin may have a small glass of wine or one beer (if it is OK with their parent) but that is very unusual in my family. I suspect that other families may be different.

Last edited by germaine2626; 04-23-2012 at 01:38 PM..

Old 04-23-2012, 01:38 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Why would you have booze at a kids party?

Old 04-23-2012, 01:44 PM

869 posts, read 1,494,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I want a definition from OP about what they are considering children. And we have alcohol at the "after party", so if his party is at 2 with all his friends, they leave at 5, we order some pizzas then it turns into a family party.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:53 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Well, if it is a kid's only party then no booze...like one of those choreographed parties with craft time, game time, cake time, etc. Parents don't really come to those, though. We normally have those in the afternoon with a definite start and end time...2-4PM.

But, as a secondary celebration for our kids we have a big group of friends over, it is a whole family affair. For example, we'll have 4-5 families over and all family members attend, so like 25 people. Kids ages range from 4 YO to 11 YO. These parties start around 6-7PM and end when people leave, frequently around midnight. We always have alcohol at these events. Probably around 9PM we'll pull out a cake and everyone will sing for the birthday boy/girl. No one gets drunk at these events, but most adults drink...but, we have these events even for adult birthdays and on non-birthday weekends, but our kids still call it a party. No one under 21 drinks, it was never even a question when teenagers have been at one of these partys.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:14 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,693 times
Family parties, yes. No one under legal drinking age can drink, but there is wine and beer for the adults. No one gets drunk, and everyone drinks responsibly.

Even at a kid's party, if for instance I threw a birthday party at our home and invited her friends, I don't see a problem with serving alcohol to the adults there, as long as the adults were not drinking heavily or getting drunk. I really don't know anyone who has a problem with alcohol, so it wouldn't be an issue here.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:18 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
However, if you are talking about extended family birthday parties my answer may be a little different. For example, a Sunday afternoon or evening get-together with grandparents, aunts & uncles and perhaps a few cousins.
This.

A few bottles of that gosh-awful two-buck-chuck merlot from Trader Joe's usually gets consumed by the adults.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:20 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,327 times
I have never had alcohol at my daughters friend birthday parties. If later in the evening the family comes over we usually do dinner, so yes, wine and beer are served.

No, I would not allow anyone under the legal drinking age to drink at my house.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:24 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Why wouldn't you?

Seriously though, I have no issue with alcohol at parties for of-age attendees. No booze for the teens or kids though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting