Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 02:33 PM

220 posts, read 595,493 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I just found out that my son has been lying to me all this week about going to tutoring after school.

Last week, he recieved an Unsatisfactory, for Algebra, on his Progress Report. I told him that he needs to go to tutoring after school everyday so that he can get higher grades on his tests.

Well, starting this Monday, he has been telling me that he's been staying after school for tutoring. I asked him what he did and he would tell me (a fib) about what they went over everyday.

I spoke with his teacher today and she told me that he has NEVER been to tutoring after school!! I asked him why he lied to me and he said that he had been studying on his own and didn't think that he needed to go to tutoring, but he didn't tell me because I would get mad at him.

I can not believe he sat there and lied to me ALL week long instead of just telling me. So he will be staying in his room, no TV, no phone, no nothing, all weekend. He will not be allowed out AT ALL....only to eat and use the bathroom, and he will need to ask me first!

Does this punishment sound too harsh? Has anyone else gone through this with their teen?

Old 10-22-2010, 02:41 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,862,592 times
eh yeah maybe a bit...i mean i would not allow him to go out or use the phone...and limited tv but the locking him in the room is a tad much.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:10 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
Yea, Its a little over the top. Did he take the re-test yet? How did he do? Maybe he was studying and did ok and wanted to show you he could improve it on his own.

I would take away his Phone or Xbox for the weekend.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:12 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzSJP View Post
Hi everyone,

I just found out that my son has been lying to me all this week about going to tutoring after school.

Last week, he recieved an Unsatisfactory, for Algebra, on his Progress Report. I told him that he needs to go to tutoring after school everyday so that he can get higher grades on his tests.

Well, starting this Monday, he has been telling me that he's been staying after school for tutoring. I asked him what he did and he would tell me (a fib) about what they went over everyday.

I spoke with his teacher today and she told me that he has NEVER been to tutoring after school!! I asked him why he lied to me and he said that he had been studying on his own and didn't think that he needed to go to tutoring, but he didn't tell me because I would get mad at him.

I can not believe he sat there and lied to me ALL week long instead of just telling me. So he will be staying in his room, no TV, no phone, no nothing, all weekend. He will not be allowed out AT ALL....only to eat and use the bathroom, and he will need to ask me first!

Does this punishment sound too harsh? Has anyone else gone through this with their teen?
No it doesn't sound too harsh. Are you any good at algebra? How about making him work on his algebra homework as well and you could help him?

Old 10-22-2010, 03:18 PM

208 posts, read 270,995 times
Did you ever establish whether he had been studying by himself? Surely he would have some sort of physical evidence of this if he had...? Perhaps he was uneasy about the idea of needing/being seen to need tutoring?

I probably wouldn't be so harsh with the staying in the room side of things.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:34 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,616 times
In our family lying is considered very serious the kids receive the paddle.

go on crucify me.

In my view parents need to step up to the mark & take control. All this pussyfooting around with long drawn out complicated consequences and excuses. We need to set the standards for behaviour. Live those standards. Be proud of those standards and instil them in our kids.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:04 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
I am one who had a pretty low tolerance level for lying, but I agree with the ones who say this may be a little too much. I would definitely ground and make it hurt. However, our method was less severe but I think it may have been a bit longer than 2 days. In other words, we did have to do a couple of "serious groundings" but I think we allowed TV etc. He was also certainly welcome to come out and socialize with us too. but he could go nowhere, ( again except with us!) and friends could not come over. Being very social, this hit him where it hurt sufficiently but was not IMO TOO severe.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:12 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,672,933 times
I have no problem with the punishment you imposed for lying. I wish more people would hold their kids accountable.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:04 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,296 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I don't tolerate lying either. I agree w/ the no TV, phone but locking him in the room all weekend isn't the way I would go. I want my teenager to find comfort in her room, not feel likes it's a prison. It's also harder to know what your son is doing in his room. I've punished my daughter before, and I have her sit right at the table in the breakfast room where I can observe her studies. My husband has even pulled a chair up right next to her to test what she's learned. I also put her to work w/ some extra chores.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:16 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,439 times
Quote:
Not at all. Its not enough. What he did is inexcuseable. He wasted your money and he got bad grades, which won't help him with his career and then he'll end up back in your house sponging off of you when he gets fired for lying on the job. I wouldn't lock him in his room like the above poster said. That's too comfortable. I'd have him doing chores all weekend, starting at 5 am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting