Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:37 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,325 times

Advertisements

She will be 11 and 1/2 when she goes away for 4 weeks. I have a feeling that it's coming in the near future. She now has little breasts, a little underarm hair, and recently she had her first pimple (hormones!). The only thing she doesn't have is any body fat, which I believe you need in order to menstruate. How best to prepare her when I won't be there? Of course it may not happen for awhile, but I worry it will, and I won't be there.

Do girls use tampons or only pads these days? I can't imagine her using a bulky pad. I feel so unprepared for this.

She has known for awhile about periods and puberty, so that's not the issue.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas. Ps- Of course there will be a camp nurse, but still...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 07:45 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Can you call the camp nurse and talk to her (him)? I am sure that this has happened before and the people at the camp can make suggestions.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:46 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,678,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
She will be 11 and 1/2 when she goes away for 4 weeks. I have a feeling that it's coming in the near future. She now has little breasts, a little underarm hair, and recently she had her first pimple (hormones!). The only thing she doesn't have is any body fat, which I believe you need in order to menstruate. How best to prepare her when I won't be there? Of course it may not happen for awhile, but I worry it will, and I won't be there.

Do girls use tampons or only pads these days? I can't imagine her using a bulky pad. I feel so unprepared for this.

She has known for awhile about periods and puberty, so that's not the issue.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas. Ps- Of course there will be a camp nurse, but still...

I got my period for the first time at camp I was so scared I didnt have any pads and was embarassed to ask so I used toilet paper and stayed out of the pool (my favorite!!) Luckily my mom had talked to me in great detail about my period so I didnt think I was dying or anything.

I started with pads but when I started cheering in HS I used tampons, they have special small ones for girls but I hated it so went back to pads.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:53 AM

770 posts, read 1,177,151 times
The nurses at camp almost always have things for that. Why you buy it for her before she goes away, so that she has it just in case?

Old 04-25-2012, 07:54 AM

506 posts, read 1,956,025 times
My little sister (12) is very close to getting her period, and knows all about it. She always carries with her a little pack of pads/liners and knows how to use it for when the time comes. This may avoid the embarrassment of not having any ‘protection’ if and when it happens!

Old 04-25-2012, 07:56 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Get a pretty little makeup bag and fill it with some pads. You can get individually wrapped wipes too and put them in there. Make sure she has extra supplies in her suitcase, knows how to use them (I know this sounds way too obvious, but I know a girl who put the pad sticky side UP in her underwear), and knows how to dispose of them. Pack a couple big Ziploc bags in case she does get her period and needs somewhere to put her bloody underwear until wash day--although her first period will probably not be heavy. Make sure she has a couple extra pairs of underwear and shorts just in case. Talk to the counselors and give them the head's up. However, I bet they see it all the time and know just what to do.

Also, regarding bulky pads, they make very thin ones now.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:57 AM

13,411 posts, read 9,941,794 times
I don't have anything to add to the excellent advice given already, but I did want to say - you're a great mom, good for you.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:00 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,325 times
Awww... Thanks everyone. Some things make me feel so anxious that I can't think straight. I will put together a "just in case" bag. And thanks Finster if that was for me

Old 04-25-2012, 08:18 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,288 times
Some thin pads will probably be just fine. It's unlikely she will need much more than that her first cycle. I'm sure a young girl would much prefer to get her period at camp surrounded by other girls (of course I'm assuming it's an all girls camp) than say at school. I can't think of anything that would normalize getting your period more than to share and bond with other women. I'm certain the counselors have had to deal with it a few times.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:34 AM

606 posts, read 943,733 times
Ultra-thins, yes, and I'd suggest getting ones without wings since she'll be managing for the very first time.

Is there going to be swimming at camp? If so, she needs tampons too. Make sure she knows about TSS! It might also be good to make sure she knows what to do about cramps if need be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting