U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-26-2012, 06:52 PM

747 posts, read 1,012,668 times
I have one of those kids I could trust doing something like this so I understand your dilemma. I would not be comfortable either even though I can trust my DD. I probably would've suggested the compromise also, maybe picking her up at 1 or 2am instead of the all night thing. You want to reward them for being trust worthy but I would be a little worried that they would do something "big" to memorialize the last night of them all being together. Not necessarily bad but also something that they wouldn't ordinarily do. That's what would be going through my thoughts anyway. I also would not be comfortable knowing the other girls are lying to their parents, to me that doesn't make them very good "good" kids, ya know what I mean?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 06:52 PM

5,546 posts, read 2,301,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Good idea, either way she isn't getting any sleep that night because if she lets her daughter go she won't get any sleep, if she doesn't let her go she'll have an angry child keeping her up all night begging to go.

But you have to ask? If her back yard as cool?
Is there a fire pit, lots of room, and fun stuff to do.
Who sits up all night begging to go to a party when they are told no o.O?

Old 04-26-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
I have one of those kids I could trust doing something like this so I understand your dilemma. I would not be comfortable either even though I can trust my DD. I probably would've suggested the compromise also, maybe picking her up at 1 or 2am instead of the all night thing. You want to reward them for being trust worthy but I would be a little worried that they would do something "big" to memorialize the last night of them all being together. Not necessarily bad but also something that they wouldn't ordinarily do. That's what would be going through my thoughts anyway. I also would not be comfortable knowing the other girls are lying to their parents, to me that doesn't make them very good "good" kids, ya know what I mean?

Then again why would they do it at 3 and not at 1?

Old 04-26-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And yet a good number of these "great" kids are fully willing to lie to their parents to get what they want.
Well i mean the dynamics of families is all different. A lot of parents have the misconception that these parties turn into orgies .

Old 04-26-2012, 06:55 PM

5,384 posts, read 2,874,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Who sits up all night begging to go to a party when they are told no o.O?
Someone desperate to attend an event for a friend moving away?

Old 04-26-2012, 06:56 PM

16,720 posts, read 11,203,369 times
Saying no does not always indicate lack of trust or suspicion. It is a parent's job to consider whether activities are appropriate. Things canbe inappropriate or poor choices for all kinds of reasons.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Someone desperate to attend an event for a friend moving away?
She sounds like a mature kid so while she might be bummed i doubt she would act like that. Any teen freaking all night because they missed a few extra hours of a party is a bit of a spoiled brat

Old 04-26-2012, 07:00 PM

747 posts, read 1,012,668 times
Because some of the best ideas aren't hatched until you've exhausted all the other things to do. I don't think they have anything big planned but after they've had their bonfire and played some games and they start getting tired and are just sitting around talking, that's when the "know what would be cool to do?" talks start happening. At least that's how it went when I was a kid. We would sneak out and do all sorts of bad things and it was never until way late at night, usually to make sure the parents were sleeping.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Saying no does not always indicate lack of trust or suspicion. It is a parent's job to consider whether activities are appropriate. Things canbe inappropriate or poor choices for all kinds of reasons.

Very true, though i have found when it comes to these parties often parents seem to act in reactionary methods and assume things. I think the problem is the trend of co ed things like sleepovers is so new to the mainstream that parents often have no memories themselves to draw upon.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:03 PM

20,606 posts, read 17,195,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Well, you definitely can't let her go without telling the other parents. Can you imagine that if (when?.....) the other parents find out about it, and then hear you knew? Chances are good they will be livid that you didn't contact them and instead decided for all the parents that it was ok to have the sleep over.

I support compromise. All parents must be told, and let them stay out very very late and all the girls sleep over at your house.
I think this is the best idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting