Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 11:21 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times

Advertisements

I am not reading through all three pages but being politically correct is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of, it seriously is saying the SAME EXACT THING in different words and it's supposed to not hurt people's precious feelings but people STILL KNOW what you mean.

It's like saying crap instead of *****.
I'm short as hell, I'm only 5'3'', if someone called me vertically challenged I'd still know they were calling me short, it all means the same thing just different terminology.

I think people should stop being so sensitive and learn that people say things and not get to so twisted over it.

Oh wow someone called so and so fat, well so and so is fat, calling them "overweight" means the same thing, it's not going to sting any less when it reaches their ears. They can either accept themselves for the way they are and just let comments roll off their back but if they are so unhappy being fat that the comments bother them then they should just do something about it, get healthy not anorexic, but get to their bodies healthy weight.

People shouldn't go by societies standards of skinny, they should go by their BMI.
Like me, I shouldn't weigh over 140 and shouldn't be any less than 105. Anywhere between those two numbers is considered "normal", I however choose to be on the lower scale of that range at like 120 or so.

I am getting really off topic but I can't stand when people don't want to offend fat people because it makes them feel like they need to change and we should tell people to accept themselves who they are but majority of fat people aren't fat because its just how they are, they are fat because they are unhealthy and THAT does need to change. We need to start a healthy movement, one that says that being yourself is ok but you need to be healthy and people need to follow BMI standards and being within a healthy weight range of their own.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:28 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,802,296 times
She probably shouldn't assume that it's because her friend is overweight that she's not fast though. I'm a slow runner but I participate in lots of races and there are plenty of overweight people that would surprise you with how fast they are.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
She probably shouldn't assume that it's because her friend is overweight that she's not fast though. I'm a slow runner but I participate in lots of races and there are plenty of overweight people that would surprise you with how fast they are.
She's almost 6.....you really think at that age she knows that some hefty people can run fast and some skinny people can run slow? She's 5.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:13 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
If you're going by context, there are obviously negative contexts for either "fat" or "skinny", "thin". For example "Susie can't run due to being fat" is a negative-sounding thing but so would say "Sam can't lift the bag due to being skinny".

Most people would agree that it sounds kind of negative, however the title of the thread seems to be asking is "fat" as descriptor itself bad (or also the same for a word like "thin/skinny") without saying anything positive/negative about the description (eg. If you say, she's the skinny one standing next to the guy in the blue shirt, versus she's the fat one standing next to the guy in the purple shirt).

Old 04-28-2012, 03:15 PM

They all mean the SAME THING.

Fat, overweight, hefty, large, obese, chunky, chubby.

Skinny, thin, small, rail, twiggy...

They in the end ALL MEAN THE SAME THING.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:50 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I am not reading through all three pages but being politically correct is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of, it seriously is saying the SAME EXACT THING in different words and it's supposed to not hurt people's precious feelings but people STILL KNOW what you mean.

It's like saying crap instead of *****.
I'm short as hell, I'm only 5'3'', if someone called me vertically challenged I'd still know they were calling me short, it all means the same thing just different terminology.

I think people should stop being so sensitive and learn that people say things and not get to so twisted over it.

Oh wow someone called so and so fat, well so and so is fat, calling them "overweight" means the same thing, it's not going to sting any less when it reaches their ears. They can either accept themselves for the way they are and just let comments roll off their back but if they are so unhappy being fat that the comments bother them then they should just do something about it, get healthy not anorexic, but get to their bodies healthy weight.

People shouldn't go by societies standards of skinny, they should go by their BMI.
Like me, I shouldn't weigh over 140 and shouldn't be any less than 105. Anywhere between those two numbers is considered "normal", I however choose to be on the lower scale of that range at like 120 or so.

I am getting really off topic but I can't stand when people don't want to offend fat people because it makes them feel like they need to change and we should tell people to accept themselves who they are but majority of fat people aren't fat because its just how they are, they are fat because they are unhealthy and THAT does need to change. We need to start a healthy movement, one that says that being yourself is ok but you need to be healthy and people need to follow BMI standards and being within a healthy weight range of their own.

What a crock.

One of my students is OVERWEIGHT. If any of my students called her fat I would tear them a new one. It is mean, and there is no reason to make note of anyone's appearance in a negative way.

And by the way genius, she is overweight due to having had a kidney transplant. The anti-rejection meds made her gain near 40lbs. She is struggling to maintain her weight as it is now and does not overeat and exercises regularly.

So yes, for some people their "fat" ness is no ones fault, and certainly not theirs. Given the FACT that some children in her position have been so hurt by being called fat that they chose to stop taking their anti-rejection meds and nearly died.

And if avoiding talking negatively about the appearance of all overweight and obese people saves the lives of even a couple of kids who are you to say otherwise?

Old 04-28-2012, 06:51 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
They all mean the SAME THING.

Fat, overweight, hefty, large, obese, chunky, chubby.

Skinny, thin, small, rail, twiggy...

They in the end ALL MEAN THE SAME THING.
Maybe you should learn to not talk negatively about anyone's appearance. Then you wouldn't have to worry about your vocabulary.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
And by the way genius, she is overweight due to having had a kidney transplant. The anti-rejection meds made her gain near 40lbs. She is struggling to maintain her weight as it is now and does not overeat and exercises regularly.

So yes, for some people their "fat" ness is no ones fault, and certainly not theirs. Given the FACT that some children in her position have been so hurt by being called fat that they chose to stop taking their anti-rejection meds and nearly died.
Thank you. This is the absolute truth.

And good for you for standing up for your student.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:21 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Maybe those people would benefit a little bit and start losing some weight if they felt a little bad about it.

America is falling apart because we are embracing every bad aspect of people, calling it a disorder and saying they can't help it. There are definitely cases where medically the person can't help it, and the other 95+% it is complete laziness.

In USA, we're not allowed to call people out or even look down on stupidity and laziness, and people start thinking it's ok.

Last edited by intelfan11315; 04-28-2012 at 10:29 PM..

Old 04-28-2012, 11:31 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Maybe those people would benefit a little bit and start losing some weight if they felt a little bad about it.

America is falling apart because we are embracing every bad aspect of people, calling it a disorder and saying they can't help it. There are definitely cases where medically the person can't help it, and the other 95+% it is complete laziness.

In USA, we're not allowed to call people out or even look down on stupidity and laziness, and people start thinking it's ok.
Is it your role (or anyone else's) to make a person 'feel bad' about themselves? Do you think that's actually an effective way to make them change? Do you think they don't already?

People who are overweight struggle with a physical addiction. Greater than 85% of people who lose weight WILL gain it back. You can not make me believe that 85% of people who successfully change their habits and diet to lose weight are 'lazy'. The fact that so many of these motivated people will regain the weight they lost is evidence of how hard a normal weight can be to maintain.

Even if they are lazy...that's their problem. No one changes their habits unless they come to a place where they feel inwardly motivated. Shaming people is far more likely to make them feel depressed and helpless, which only leads to further issues.

People who want to shame overweight individuals into losing weight don't care about those individuals at all. They care about being better than those 'fat, lazy' people and making sure everybody knows just how much better they are. If you wanted to actually help people, you could volunteer to help counseling programs, coach kids sports, or even just donate healthy, low fat food to your local food kitchen.

I agree that people have to take personal responsibility for their own habits, especially habits that are self destructive. I disagree that shaming is the way to accomplish this...especially shaming a kid by calling her a word that is highly charged. Fat IS the same as overweight...in the same way that f*g is the same as gay. I wouldn't equate the two at the same place on the slur scale at all, but words that mean the same can have very real differences is what they are meant to convey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting