Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 12:48 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Haha! Yes, this!

OP, my first thought was "Over my dead body." My second thought was "Over her dead body." I am super liberal when it comes to fashion, appearance and self-expression for kids and teens with the caveat that overly sexualized is inappropriate. I consider the picture in question to be overly sexualized attire for a club for a teen that age.
agree, and I consider the outfits to be overly sexualized club attire for people of ANY age!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 12:53 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
agree, and I consider the outfits to be overly sexualized club attire for people of ANY age!
Haha - yes, me too, but I left that part out because after she's an adult out on her own, I have nothing to say about it (other than "Nice belt - were you planning to put on a skirt with that?" )

Old 05-01-2012, 01:20 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Wearing a lingerie top, and boyshorts to go to a under 21 club?

Moderator cut: Removing link, sorry. See my note below. Can we discuss in general terms and not have pics?
Forty years ago when I was 16, I was wearing halter tops and cutoff jean shorts that reached my "booty." My mother screamed holy terror and I thought she was hilarious. I matured.

I didn't see the infamous pics, but I am guessing they were not much better.

If you haven't raised your daughter to respect herself by 14/15, she will learn the hard way, just as I did. Or, she will end up on skid row with STDs and turning tricks for her keep. Either way, your squawking isn't going to make a big difference.

Have you tried talking to her about consequences, like she is a rational adult?

Old 05-01-2012, 03:48 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Thinking about it some more:

In general, I think many tweens and young teens get mixed messages about what is normal vs. sexy. For instance, girls' volleyball players frequently wear tiny shorts, and I've seen similar shorts at my daughter's track meets along with fitted tanks. (Visit the Fashion forum to see how some guys lust over female runners in their tiny shorts.) Cheerleader uniforms are short and super tight--most cheerleader skirts I see now are not the pleated style anymore. They are straight with a slit up the side, so that they ride up and stay that way. I didn't think they could get skimpier than when I was in high school, but they are. My daughter went to basketball camp a couple summers ago, and I'm surprised (and gratified) that they aren't required to wear booty shorts and tight tops yet.

I think that when we make non-sexual situations like running track so easily sexualized, girls who want to vamp it up have to go even more extreme. It's confusing. The outfits those girls were wearing are less revealing than a bathing suit, yet a 14-year-old in a one-piece maillot is not "jailbait" or a "prostitute." I have no easy answers about why one is okay and another is not, but I think parents have better judgment than kids do. Those girls' friends probably thought they looked cute.
Have you ever ran track or played a sport in baggy or even semi baggy clothes?

I ran track and we had some pretty short shorts but it was nice to not have them restricting my legs, I could barely feel them when I ran. Plus its more aerodynamic or something like that.
You should see swimming these days. ALL girls had to shave certain areas in order to wear those swim suits, you had to have them so tight and so high up so there was very little drag, this was just competition suits though not practice suits, in practice you want as much drag as possible.

And those Soffee cheer shorts are good alternative for volleyball shorts, but its still nice to be able to bend and move and not adjust your shorts first.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:25 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Have you ever ran track or played a sport in baggy or even semi baggy clothes?

I ran track and we had some pretty short shorts but it was nice to not have them restricting my legs, I could barely feel them when I ran. Plus its more aerodynamic or something like that.
You should see swimming these days. ALL girls had to shave certain areas in order to wear those swim suits, you had to have them so tight and so high up so there was very little drag, this was just competition suits though not practice suits, in practice you want as much drag as possible.

And those Soffee cheer shorts are good alternative for volleyball shorts, but its still nice to be able to bend and move and not adjust your shorts first.
I have played a very competitive level of sports in baggy clothes and had absolutely no problems at all.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I have played a very competitive level of sports in baggy clothes and had absolutely no problems at all.
I played soccer in baggy shorts ever notice how players hike the shorts up on their legs so they can squat with out the shorts pulling on their legs? You know the time it takes to do that could delay your reaction to something coming at you. I did that in goal all the time, if I didn't adjust my shorts when I squatted down then they pulled and it was annoying and distracting and me putting my hands down for that split second could have cost me.

I have no issue with athletic clothes being as aerodynamic and sports friendly as possible.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:35 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
The issue is that probably that girl's parents don't care. I grew up in a home similar to that, I was gone for a week once, no one even noticed, I was 15.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
If baggy clothes are a problem Kobe Bryant didn't get that memo.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
If baggy clothes are a problem Kobe Bryant didn't get that memo.
Kobe is a dude and plays basketball, try moving around in his shorts in volleyball or tennis.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:40 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
How does gender change things in that situation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting