Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:01 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Yes, our pediatric dentist recommended bpa-free sealants for all of my children.
Even "BPA-free" sealants have trace amounts of either bis-DMA and bis-GMA are both produced using BPA as a starting ingredient.

Bisphenol A and Dental Materials - American Dental Association - ADA.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 10:24 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times
Because I find it unnecessary. It isn't a guarantee you will never get cavities and I believe in going the route of practicing proper dental hygiene and not over doing it on sugary drinks and food or brushing right after high sugar intakes. Just because something is invented, doesn't mean everyone needs to use it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I was just curious why not?
They don't. They only cover two visits a year. If we go anymore than that, we pay out of pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Oh, certainly you have to brush and floss, with or without sealants.

I'm surprised your insurance covers that many dental visits.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:47 AM

460 posts, read 671,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Maybe... but that was our experience.

Also, DH and I are loaded with fillings. So ours kids definitely would have that genetic component, if there is one.
Not necessarily true depending on your age. My mother is riddled with cavities but I'm not. I attribute this difference to a possible genetic component, but also to the fact that I had regular fluoride treatments as a child and she didn't. She also didn't get routine dental visits as a child either. But, she's 62 so that is a generational thing.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:17 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southshorelady View Post
Not necessarily true depending on your age.
Again, maybe... but that is our experience.

Sheesh...
Why is it that every time I mention my true and personal experiences here, someone says that is it 'not necessarily so' or 'not necessarily true'?

Old 05-07-2012, 11:19 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Because I find it unnecessary. It isn't a guarantee you will never get cavities and I believe in going the route of practicing proper dental hygiene and not over doing it on sugary drinks and food or brushing right after high sugar intakes. Just because something is invented, doesn't mean everyone needs to use it
Myself, my sibling, and my parents all have/had terrible teeth despite our best efforts. For me it was a must.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:05 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,738,315 times
Yes all 3 of my kids when they were young. My daughter 25 had sealants recently put back on her teeth, she has great dental insurance and it covered it I don't think insurance usually covers it for adults.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:21 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Myself, my sibling, and my parents all have/had terrible teeth despite our best efforts. For me it was a must.
Sorry to hear that. I have no problem people choosing to do what is best for them, however. I hope they helped

Old 06-03-2012, 04:03 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
4 kids from 9 to 30 and never one cavity. all have sealants. Did you get them for your kids/ Will you?

Vitals - Decay dilemma: Do kids need dental sealants?
I did and it was a mistake. My dd ended up getting cavities because of the sealants. She grinds her teeth in her sleep and, from what they explain, created ditches (for lack of a better word) where she ground through the sealant that became spots where decay could start under the edge of the sealant. So the worn edge of the sealant became the place where bacteria could get trapped and start cavities. So I got to pay for the sealants and then the cavities the sealant caused.

We got them for dd#1 as well but she didn't need them. Getting her to brush or floss is like pulling teeth (pun intended) yet she never gets cavities. No matter what we do, dd#2 gets them.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:48 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
I am/was concerned with fluoride treatments and the ingredients in sealants (I'm also one of those annoying selectively vaccinating parents, and we avoid medications for the most part), but we did do both. My son seems to have inherited my teeth; I never had a cavity until I was pregnant. My daughter, on the other hand, seems to have inherited my husband's... when I met him at 15, he had a mouth full of fillings. DD has a cavity nearly every time we go to the dentist, and she does brush and floss regularly, just like my cavity-free son. After avoiding the fluoride and sealants, we finally got them done for both kids... I figure I need to try something, and while DS probably didn't need them, we don't have fluoride in our water (we're on a well), so I thought that the risk was pretty minimal. Sealants prevent cavities on the biting surface of the tooth, not between the teeth, so they definitely are not a panacea, but they do help.

I worked for a dentist pre-kids, and sealants (and fluoride) were recommended for all kids. I'm pretty sure I had them, too, and I'm in my mid-30s, so they've been around for a while!

Old 06-03-2012, 06:10 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Dentist never even brought it up. Kept saying how white and healthy my kid's teeth looked, though. Maybe he didn't think it necessary? If he had've suggested it, I probably would've went along with it. But so far, so good.

My son's a xylitol baby, just like his fath-...

My son's a xylitol boy, just like his father
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting