Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2013, 10:52 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Everyone wears flip flops when working in retail.
Walk into any hollister, American eagle, just about any college aged kids store and all the employees have on flip flops.
Nice try again, but no. My oldest worked for both Hollister and Abercrombie, and wore sneakers with shorts, or boots with jeans. And he did that while living in South Florida.

Soooo, what did you wear this morning?

I'm pretty sure you didn't wear flip flops through the past winter in CO, or shorts and tank tops.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:33 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
Quote:
Everyone wears flip flops when working in retail.
Walk into any hollister, American eagle, just about any college aged kids store and all the employees have on flip flops.
Nice try, but no cigar. Not EVERYONE in retail wears flip flops. I would say the vast majority of stores don't allow it. My husband and I worked retail for years, and we were never allowed to wear them. Plus, who would want to stand in flip flops for an eight hour shift? Talk about painful.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:07 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
I dunno, I worked A LOT of retail in my day and yes, when I worked at Hco/A&F we wore flip flops but that was not the norm. While I was working at Express and Bebe, we where pretty much allowed to wear any dressy heel or flat that wasn't a flip flop, not even bebe flip flops. I remember we would sometimes sneak them and one time the DM came in and we all had to rush around and put on real shoes.

I actually work in the corporate office for one of the country's largest retailers and we don't let the store associates wear flip flops.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:14 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Nice try again, but no. My oldest worked for both Hollister and Abercrombie, and wore sneakers with shorts, or boots with jeans. And he did that while living in South Florida.

Soooo, what did you wear this morning?

I'm pretty sure you didn't wear flip flops through the past winter in CO, or shorts and tank tops.
No I did that once it got warm...
Through the winter I wore uggs with jeans or leggings and vnecks, too warm for uggs now.

I wore that dress I have with a vneck over it. It was like Hurley or something, strappy and like a spring dress and my dark brown leather flip flops.

Some girls had on flip flops some had on sandals, I see no difference between nice flip flops or nice sandals, just the number of straps, no real difference.

I could have gone more casual than I was with what some people were wearing.
If I go again ill probably wear leggings and a shirt and flip flops.

I work at a little girls clothing store, leggings, jeggings, shorts or jeans and tank tips and tshirts that's what's worn.
I don't work at saks fifth avenue....

Old 03-31-2013, 06:45 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
I wore that dress I have with a vneck over it. It was like Hurley or something, strappy and like a spring dress and my dark brown leather flip flops.
Perfectly fine. I knew you could come up with something.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:37 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,038 times
FLIP flops, now, come in a wide spectrum. From Wal-Mart $1.99 specials to embellished Athena Alexander's. The latter I have worn to formal occasions. White Mountain has some wonderfully comfortable, beaded and sequined FLIP flops that I love to wear in the summer with white jeans and Reba T' s. Yellow Box has comfortable rhinestoned FLIP flops I wear in the evening with my lounging clothes. Merrill has exquisitely comfortable FLIP flops to wear for all day walking trips. I have platform fIip flops, no name, from a boutique I often wear to art openings with silk pants and Citron tops and Croc flips I take on trips to wear in hotel rooms and in their showers.
LOL My name is Funisart and I am a shoe o holic

Old 03-31-2013, 09:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:

I wore that dress I have with a vneck over it.
And hopefully Grandma and Great-Grandma appreciated it. My guess is they did.

(In life, things like this are not about what you find comfortable and makes you happy. Life as an adult involves thinking about what you can do that will make other people comfortable and happy. And then actually doing it.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 03-31-2013 at 09:17 PM..

Old 04-01-2013, 07:28 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

(In life, things like this are not about what you find comfortable and makes you happy. Life as an adult involves thinking about what you can do that will make other people comfortable and happy. And then actually doing it.)
It was highly uncomforatable for me and DB at church, it was awkward. Listening for an hour and a half about something I totally don't believe in.

Not sure I could do it again.

She told me after the fact that its not what you wear just come kind of church.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:12 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
hugs, ohio! Sorry for the delay. I've been away for a little while.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:18 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
It was highly uncomforatable for me and DB at church, it was awkward. Listening for an hour and a half about something I totally don't believe in.

Not sure I could do it again.

She told me after the fact that its not what you wear just come kind of church.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Reread Dew's comment. It is worth another look. Once or twice a year sitting respectfully to honor and please others (especially those who have provided so much to YOU - despite the fact that your life choices may very likely make them "highly uncomfortable") is a small thing. No one is asking you to attend regularly or to believe what you don't. Simply to be respectful. It pleases your grandmother/great-grandmother to have you there and introduce you to people who are important to them. I'd guess you can suck it up from time to time.

Last edited by maciesmom; 04-03-2013 at 07:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting